First Parrot Build

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jason1979
Bootlegger

First Parrot Build

Post by Jason1979 »

Hi people, just thought I'd share what Iv built last night.

starting with a Parrot so I can get my teeth into the soldering. Last night was a good learning curve and been inside soldered where I can.

Let me know your thoughts. Also I was thinking of attaching a small part of 15mm copper tube to help with more support but Im not sure how to solder copper end to tube?? any idea would be amazing.

Thanks
Attachments
Still need to grind the curve on the other side
Still need to grind the curve on the other side
Closeup
Closeup
best way to fix this small support? is it even needed?
best way to fix this small support? is it even needed?
IMG_2398.JPG
IMG_2393.JPG
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: First Parrot Build

Post by still_stirrin »

Jason1979 wrote:...Let me know your thoughts...
Parrots are over-rated. Never built one...never used one...never needed one. But, YMMV.
Jason1979 wrote:...Also I was thinking of attaching a small part of 15mm copper tube to help with more support but Im not sure how to solder copper end to tube?? any idea would be amazing.
What I’ve done is to rough up both the copper pipe and the saddle-shaped pipe you want to join. Then, apply flux and solder just like you would a hubbed fitting. But bear in mind that without the hub, the solder will tend to drip around the pipe. So, use the solder sparingly or you’ll have a lot of solder to clean up.

Of note, when I built my reflux head, I had coolant lines that were routed up and around the condenser. I made supports for the tubes out of flattened copper and soldered them to the pipes. I used the method described above to make those solder points.

Copper to copper is easy to solder. So, practice a little. I think you can do it.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
paddy1000111
Novice

Re: First Parrot Build

Post by paddy1000111 »

As above you can just solder it straight on the side. You only need the normal plumbing fittings if you soldering for a pressured water system. The part that is going 90 degrees to the pipe you want to file to the same radius as the pipe it is butting against and solder it! Easy! Also If you are fitting but joints like that and you plan to use them for water or alcohol etc then drill the hole after soldering. Makes for a cleaner hole, less flux and junk inside and it is a lot easier to align stuff up!