Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: NNB aka Newbie New build

Post by MoonBreath »

Nice work..
Remember tho, this ain't rocket science.
Novice is rite above 'minion'. :clap:
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
Jason1979
Bootlegger

Post by Jason1979 »

MoonBreath wrote:Nice work..
Remember tho, this ain't rocket science.
Novice is rite above 'minion'. :clap:

Thanks Moonbreath

I know I know, but want to make my build as best as possible and at the safest as possible.
Whats your thought on cooper leaching while in the fermentor?
Tony1964
Swill Maker

Post by Tony1964 »

If anyone wants to add to the copper in a fermentor question, I also use a copper coil and thermowell in the fermentor.

Back in the day, copper fermentors where what they had to use before the days of food safe plastics or stainless, from what I understand to much copper ingested can be a concern, the actual dosage I'm unsure about, but I would think that years of sucking on copper might be the answer.

Sulphur removal is a positive.

Copper itself will oxidise forming a protective layer to help prevent corrosion, like many other metals, its the corrosion that will leach in to the ferment, and important that you don't over do the star san or other phosphoric acid sanitiser, as that's high in acidity and will bring the copper up to shiney new again.

Your copper will dull in the ferment as it should, and would when exposed to normal air, and this will form a barrier, this is patina and its natural defence, look at copper water pipes, all dark brown, if it corrodes its ending up in your wash, you don't want this, but, as long as you sanitise it in the normal way rather than clean it back to shiney, your good, unless anyone else thinks otherwise, let nature help out a little.

My first igloo fermenter has been in use for 3 to 4 years with the same coil, not to dissimilar to yours, with no signs of corrosion, yes its not shiney by a long way, at the very top its almost black.

Anyone else want to chip in?
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Whats your thought on cooper leaching while in the fermentor?[/quote]

Copper or stainless either one will work.
Copper on the norm wont leach..
I just don't like my copper used for anything other than distilling purposes..
Food stuffs, sauces, soups, will leach into and have a possible carryover into your drip.
You have good distilling sense I can tell.
Just don't use you likker equipment for food prep and no worries. :thumbup:
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
Jason1979
Bootlegger

Post by Jason1979 »

Hi, I know I've not posted for a while but here are some up to date photos.

I still have the thermowells to make and fit and the shotgun ferrules to attach, plus form the CSST reflux coil then onto the boiler end then the control box, and on the latter I'm torn between using stc-1000 or standard digital temps, I'd imagine space maybe the decider on that one.

On the boiler I'll have 2 thermowells, one submerged and the other on the lid along with a PRV, but one question I just thought of asking is.. has anyone have any thoughts on the 2 inch tri- clamp bulkhead fitting from an online store most will know (not sure if you can list shops on here) I'm not sure to go with soldering tri- clamps to a ss boiler or use the bulkhead fitting type.

anyway, on with the pics (excuse any background mess)
Attachments
A view up the column
A view up the column
Looking straight
Looking straight
IMG_4168.jpg
soldering getting better
soldering getting better
2x 11.5mm holes plus a 8mm hole for a thermowell
2x 11.5mm holes plus a 8mm hole for a thermowell
IMG_4139.jpg
Jason1979
Bootlegger

Post by Jason1979 »

Total length from the bottom to the middle centre takeoff (first T) is 1070mm, a little over my 20x the ID ratio, but you learn from all mistakes (aka didn't account for 2x ferrule and ptfe seal... and maybe a couple mm here or there.
Attachments
IMG_4158.jpg
IMG_4162.jpg
IMG_4161.jpg
IMG_4167.jpg
Nice touch here with a copper handle I think
Nice touch here with a copper handle I think
IMG_4169.jpg
Jason1979
Bootlegger

Post by Jason1979 »

Some more pics
Attachments
IMG_4155.jpg
IMG_4151-2.jpg
IMG_4147.jpg
IMG_4149.jpg
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

The sight glass gaskets are made of silicone?
Jason1979
Bootlegger

Post by Jason1979 »

Hi Kindafrench Not silicone, they are all PTFE. The only parts used are stainless steel, copper and PTFE, plus the odd lead free silver solder.
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

If I had zoomed in the photograph with all three glasses, I could have seen it :roll:.
That‘s great! Could you be so kind and tell me, where you got them from? Mine are made out of silicone, so I made a pair of gaskets out of a soft 3mm PTFE sheet. Not really happy with it.
Maybe they sell the gaskets as a spare part.

But anyway... fantastic work! Looks very nice and shiny.

Will give you plenty of fun and delicious stuff 8)
Jason1979
Bootlegger

NNB aka Newbie New build

Post by Jason1979 »

Some more work today on the shotgun, was a tricky job for sure, as not much room and run the risk of de-soldering the internal parts while soldering the ferrules
Attachments
IMG_4193.JPG
IMG_4194.JPG
IMG_4195.JPG
IMG_4196.JPG
IMG_4206.JPG
IMG_4197.JPG
Jason1979
Bootlegger

Post by Jason1979 »

No leaks so all good, and guys, some more pics...

have to say, stainless and copper does look good.

`next on the list will be thermowells and then boiler and controller
Attachments
IMG_4214.jpg
IMG_4211.jpg
IMG_4209.JPG
IMG_4208.JPG
IMG_4207.JPG
Jason1979
Bootlegger

Post by Jason1979 »

Kindafrench wrote:If I had zoomed in the photograph with all three glasses, I could have seen it :roll:.
That‘s great! Could you be so kind and tell me, where you got them from? Mine are made out of silicone, so I made a pair of gaskets out of a soft 3mm PTFE sheet. Not really happy with it.
Maybe they sell the gaskets as a spare part.

But anyway... fantastic work! Looks very nice and shiny.

Will give you plenty of fun and delicious stuff 8)
Sorry for the delay pal been busy with the build, will dig out the supplier and pop you a message. PTFE come with the sighties I purchased, but then again, no harm asking.
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

Jason1979 wrote:...but then again, no harm asking.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
The link didn't make it though.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Kindafrench wrote:
Maybe you could post it? I would be interested in acquiring some 3" PTFE SG gaskets.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Jason1979
Bootlegger

Post by Jason1979 »

Happy Friday people

Some more pic of the latest progress. I still need to clean this work up, but thought I'd share some pics on this part of the build.

The first pics are deciding on the best layout for the RC water plumbing (aesthetic)
Attachments
IMG_4282.jpg
IMG_4281.jpg
IMG_4280.jpg
I'v settled on this layout
I'v settled on this layout
Jason1979
Bootlegger

Post by Jason1979 »

Now was time for the soldering of copper to SS. I still need to solder in the thermowell but hoping to do this the weekend.

Keep it low when mock the soldering lol, I will clean this up soon and the protruding CSST will be soldered inside the copper bend as I know you'll all see some small solder gaps. Keep in mind that I don't have much soldering experience too.
Attachments
IMG_4425.jpg
IMG_4421.jpg
IMG_4420.jpg
Offset to accommodate the Snaplock hose fitting, would of liked the parallel but, you cant have everything
Offset to accommodate the Snaplock hose fitting, would of liked the parallel but, you cant have everything
Jason1979
Bootlegger

Post by Jason1979 »

And some more pics as I did say Ill bring you all along on this journey, Enjoy
Attachments
IMG_4449.jpg
IMG_4442.jpg
IMG_4443.jpg
IMG_4447.jpg
IMG_4450.jpg
Jason1979
Bootlegger

Post by Jason1979 »

Kindafrench wrote:

Kindafrench, How you get on with your PTFE seller?
Jason1979
Bootlegger

Post by Jason1979 »

Hi guys, some more progress on the water side for RC, small amount but never the less.
Attachments
IMG_4694.jpg
IMG_4697.jpg
IMG_4698.jpg
IMG_4699.jpg
Jason1979
Bootlegger

Post by Jason1979 »

Added a support bar to the connection ends to help make this a little more robust while considering the amount of connecting and disconnecting this will go though, plus had some advice from a good friend/industry pro regarding support and safety. Looks amazing and very pleased so far.
Attachments
IMG_4729.jpg
IMG_4728.jpg
Jason1979
Bootlegger

Post by Jason1979 »

More support up top, this is to help with the weight of the tubing when filled with water and as a 2" tri clamp blank is limited, thought I would try and incorporate a nice touch to mate the same angle as the copper 90 degree section.

Didn't realise how tight it is on the SS real estate lol.
Attachments
IMG_4742.JPG
IMG_4744.JPG
Jason1979
Bootlegger

Post by Jason1979 »

All soldered up, water tested and cleaned up. So so pleased with how this looks and I feel it adds a nice handcrafted touch to the top section of the still. I know its overkill on just the connection of water for the RC but really wanted to make this a feature part.
Attachments
IMG_4748.jpg
IMG_4749.jpg
IMG_4753.jpg
IMG_4752.jpg
IMG_4750.jpg
Jason1979
Bootlegger

Post by Jason1979 »

some more pics
Attachments
IMG_4755.jpg
IMG_4754.jpg
IMG_4756.jpg
IMG_4758.jpg
Tony1964
Swill Maker

Post by Tony1964 »

WOW, that's a good looking piece of kit for sure.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Damn Jason, you do nice work. :clap:

To the person looking for PTFE gaskets, I know one place you can order them on-line is from from Glacier Tanks based in Vancouver, WA. http://Www.glaciertanks.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Jason1979
Bootlegger

Post by Jason1979 »

Tony1964 wrote:WOW, that's a good looking piece of kit for sure.

Thanks Tony, not bad for a newbie with no build knowledge...what so ever. Been learning a lot on this including the build part, that I enjoy just as much as anything. I do have a massive box of scrap copper and SS now, but failures are the pillars of success and all that.

J
Jason1979
Bootlegger

Post by Jason1979 »

OtisT wrote:Damn Jason, you do nice work. :clap:

To the person looking for PTFE gaskets, I know one place you can order them on-line is from from Glacier Tanks based in Vancouver, WA. http://Www.glaciertanks.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow.

Otis

OtisT, Much appreciated pal, I do suffer from condition of copper/ss p**n for sure. But like all thing I try to challenge myself in new hobbies. Its a slow progress on the build front for sure but nearly there.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Hi again Jason. I have been thinking about your rig a bit and have a few observations/questions and one significant concern that is bugging me, so I better get it out. I’ve been fascinated by how pretty it is and not focused on function, so here goes.

Reflux concern:
Do you have enough RC cooling potential to hit 100% reflux? This is a CM and my concern is that the RC does not extend very far down below the main column takeoff. Too much power and vapor will be escaping to your carter head so hitting a high reflux ratio may also be a challenge.

Just a note. I assume you will have a fine adjust needle valve for making the fine adjustments needed for adjusting the reflux ratio. You have a big input pipe to that RC, so something tells me you are planning for a ball valve. (Just speculation)

Carter head observations:
Your latest diagram shows that the carter head section will remain during pot still mode as well as when fractioning, unless I simply read that plan wrong. Seems like the carter head is only be needed for making gin, and all other runs it could be removed and you would simply attach your RC directly to the column. Operating without the CH would make some operations and cleanup much simpler.

Pot stilling
When stripping in pot still mode, you may want to remove the packed sections. (Based on your diagram showing the height in pot still mode includes the column sections in place.) While I don’t think it’s a problem having the tall column in place for a spirit run (just some extra passive reflux) you may want to remove the packed sections for stripping so if it foams or pukes during the strip that you don’t need to clean your packing.

For stripping I’d just have one sight glass on the boiler to see foaming, then place one unpacked column section above it before the Tee to help tame any minor foam ups before it hits takeoff.

Parrot
I assume you can run with or without the parrot. As a noob I personally recommend you run w/o it until you learn a bit about how to operate your still in various configurations and after you learn how to make cuts. Once you get some run experience and you understand how the parrot can impact various styles of runs you can decide when to use it.

Thermometers:
Looks like you are going to include ports for a lot of them. For operating that rig, you could get by with fewer well placed meters. Just an observation.

Insulation:
I’m just curious what your plan is for insulation. The entire main column could benefit from it when fractioning, and the carter head could use it when making gin to minimize the waste you collect at the bottom of the carter head. The latter is not much of an issue for large runs, but for small volume runs the percentage of waste will be larger and when making gin, every drop is sacred.

Pulling foreshots:
Related to my recommendation of removing the CH except when using the gin basket. Pulling foreshots may be interesting on this rig with the carter head in place. Unless you plan to let foreshots smear in with heads (which many do), you may end up collecting and disposing of foreshots in your carter head due to all that thermal mass between the column and PC. As stated above, removing the carter head section would address this.

That’s all I got for now. I’ve had coffee today :crazy: , so forgive my verbose message and any omissions in logic I may have just documented. Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Jason1979
Bootlegger

Post by Jason1979 »

Hi Otis, I'm glad my work has had you thinking and I'm cheering to hear how neat you think my work is, but I believe I've covered some function...not all beauty and no brains. On a serious note, I do appreciate your time and comments, its the main reason this site exists, helping us all collaborate and share knowledge, ideas, creativity plus the odd how-to's, in my case many but we all need critique in this hobby and being a beginner means its helpful and important

Reflux concern:
That's a good question for sure. Lengthwise for the RC coil its 35cm (14inches) from bottom to where it meets the SS end cap, and from memory, this protrudes 20cm below the SS tee, plus I'll be placing some SS mesh/wool between the coil to add to the surface area and hopefully make it more efficient. Talking of power and to much, I'll be using a 30L boiler with a 3kw element that split into two 1.5kw.

Big water input yes, its 15mm but I had chosen this size mainly for the support factor and look but I will be running a small ID hose for the water side. And no, no bull valve on this part, most probably be two 1/4" needle valves, one for RC and one for the shotgun.

Carter head observations:
I do need to update my diagram, as you can see on the file names it's version 11, I think I'm now on 22. :crazy: But that diagram was just to show the full max height with the CT having a 6" SS spool (updated to a 4"), so not really for configuration purposes, plus all being tri-clamp means this rig is modular. And yes the CT will be for gin, I've always liked the idea of vapour infused gin, but since my original design and the continued research into this is making me think that infused botanicals could and probably will bring new challenges, one being that vapour may not reach the inside of the botanicals basket, so not think I may place the botanicals in the ferment.

Pot stilling
I think I understand that you don't need height for a stripping run but as my rig is modular, plus the fact I need to learn to operate this still when it up and running so I've had a little think on this part and happy to try different configurations. Several people have said about puke so will differently add a sight glass at the boiler.

Also, packing wise I'll be using copper mesh then stainless spiral prismatic packing at 3mm x 3mm x 0.2 mm. I was thinking to go smaller say 2mm x 2mm x 0.2mm but not sure the benefit will out weigh the extra hour or so it will take to complete a run?

Parrot
I need to make a parrot for this rig, leaving it till last but I'm hoping to include a small 1/4" ball valve at the lower end so I can dump the foreshots/heads if I even need to dump that way. And yes totally agree with maybe not using it at first, I can only imagine enough is going on being a noob to get caught up with smearing too.

Thermometers:
15 in total, 9 for the column, 2 for RC and Shotgun and 4 for inside the controller... I know its loads and overkill plus know many people suggest operating a still comes with experience not digital displays, but I really want to know what's going on inside. I will use STC for the main areas for accuracy and these being the boiler, SS tee take off, top of the RC and for controller cosmetics STC for just before the shotgun. I'll post a pic of the 90% final controller layout.

Insulation:
I'm happy to do the first amount of runs as it is but I will differently be insulating the boiler with armaflex insulation when the build is complete and I'm thinking 10mm thick, then after a while of know how to drive my rig, ill cover up all the nice looking copper and SS with more armaflex

Pulling foreshots:
I have a small SS ball valve soldered to an end cap on the lower end of the CT and I'm thinking I can bin the foreshots/ early heads that have condensed there at the start, then when more is condensed there that may be full of flavour, I can dump back into the boiler via some hose or CSST connected to a PRV valve to be redistilled.

Hope that all makes sense Otis and cleared some concerns, like I said I'll upload a new column diagram and also my controller layout. Honestly, appreciate your feedback and comments. Been a please reading a more in-depth opinion.

J