Stove top Reinforcement

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Stove top Reinforcement

Post by jog666 »

Not to long ago I decided it was just to cold to stay out in the barn working. The frozen water hoses didnt help either. Inside I went, with a keg & a couple pieces of stainless square tubing to act as a spacers. For years I knew the stove had a slight angle to the rear, but didnt realized how much until I put the keg & column on. Oh well, Ill deal with it. While filling to about half, so I can see what kind of time its going to take to run, I tweaked the whole top of the stove. :crazy:

After finishing that run, I welded up some 1" stainless angle to make a "base" for the keg to sit on. Also picked up a 1/2 keg (7.75g) during the 2 weeks to finish this {have to slip government work in between jobs at work}. Then took some 2" SS angle with 4"x4"x.25" pads to lift the angle to clear the stove lip. Drilled a few holes for 7/16" bolts since it would be very oddly shaped to store somewhere. Overall, I really like it. I could have done much better but I had only so much time to get it finished & was already over on time.

Other than a bit more cleaning, its ready to run.

stand1.jpg
stand2.jpg
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Stove top Reinforcement

Post by Chauncey »

most stoves do have threaded adjustable legs(like a pool table or washer/dryer) to level them afaik

still pretty cool though i would have done that before pulling my stove out to level it that way. im sure there are horrifying things behind my stove.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

Allmyexsliveinhell wrote:most stoves do have threaded adjustable legs(like a pool table or washer/dryer) to level them afaik

still pretty cool though i would have done that before pulling my stove out to level it that way. im sure there are horrifying things behind my stove.

Yes, very horrifying things. Plus it was more fun to build this. Plus it was the top that gave a bit. After I got done that day I flipped the top up to look like I would when a pilot goes out, the only supports for the top are the sides & front. Nothing in the middle or back.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

jog666 wrote:
Allmyexsliveinhell wrote:most stoves do have threaded adjustable legs(like a pool table or washer/dryer) to level them afaik

Yes, very horrifying things. Plus it was more fun to build this. Plus it was the top that gave a bit. After I got done that day I flipped the top up to look like I would when a pilot goes out, the only supports for the top are the sides & front. Nothing in the middle or back.
Right on. I wish I could weld man mad props on that. I'll learn soon enough. Got soldering down and brazing but never eased with a welding machine. The guy who taught me to still is a union gang boss for the iron workers so I always have him weld stuff up for me.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

Welding, in its simplest form, isnt hard. I have taught myself & keep learning. My tig work is FAR from pretty but it holds. The welding I do for a living does get to be a bitch at times, but when you have to weld up 20+ year old aluminum that has been filled with..... lets just say "greasy discarded parts" & washed at times with mild acids, the trailer is rather porous.