All copper modular pot still

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Re: All copper modular pot still

Post by Hilltop »

Shiney copper does something to me. Nice work and welcome to HD.
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."
RunRufusRun
Novice

Post by RunRufusRun »

OtisT wrote:
RunRufusRun wrote:... And your on point with the level floors. It’s been a problem for me considering I just moved and the only cement floor I have right now is in my basement. I’m just not crazy about running a 200,000 btu propane burner inside my home.
If you are ever up for some more copper work, that leveling issue is relatively easy to fix with a handful of elbows and a few connectors. Pictures are easier than words for this kind of thing. Look at the link in my signature below for my pot and thumper. The arms connecting my pot to thumper and thumper to condenser is what I’m referring to. Makes the elevation for each piece irrelevant (within reason.). An added benefit to the arm modification is that you could connect your pot directly to the condenser if you so choose.

Otis
Thanks again Otis. Wanted to post a picture of your suggestion and give credit where due.
76C2959C-84D2-4550-98F8-7DD5706E42ED.jpeg
Here’s the boiler sitting on the floor hooked right to the condenser. I probably have 2 or more feet of vertical movement available to me. Of course I have other similar fittings to include the thumper when needed.
RunRufusRun
Novice

Post by RunRufusRun »

One other thing I wanted to show everyone is how well this copper phosphorus braze holds up. Did a little non-scientific torture test since I was cutting my connected pipes apart to make my swivel joints anyway.
395E93F1-91D6-4D0F-B110-8DFEF1B13B0D.jpeg
This was a 90, bent it back to a 90 the closed again 3 times before it failed. Obviously way more abuse than it would ever see during normal use. The weak point is the annealed areas around the braze.

I’m not suggesting that this would be stronger than a soldered on manufactured elbow but at about 25 cents each I think it will hold up just fine.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

:thumbup: