1st Pot Still Build part 2

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bs5617
Novice

1st Pot Still Build part 2

Post by bs5617 »

I was hoping you all will look at what I have done so far and tell me what you think please. I also what to add a thermometer in top side of the column. The thought was so I could control the temp easier.
Attachments
Still.jpg
In God We Trust
Scott817
Novice

Re: 1st Pot Still Build part 2

Post by Scott817 »

Looks like a 6.5 gallon keg to me so I would get a 15 and get the liebig up higher or you are gong to have your jar in the dirt. Should be easy to add a thermometer in your 90 up top. You could run like that. I never use a thermometer personally.
RunRufusRun
Novice

Post by RunRufusRun »

I’m with Scott, no thermometer here either. Trouble with getting another kegs is your boiler to head connection. Looks like you had to do some heavy modifications on that keg to install your fittings. Probably should have started with the half barrel to begin with. I started on a 1/4 and got tired of the size quickly. Looks good though, should have no problem turning out product.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Scott817 wrote:Looks like a 6.5 gallon keg to me so I would get a 15 and get the liebig up higher or you are gong to have your jar in the dirt. Should be easy to add a thermometer in your 90 up top. You could run like that. I never use a thermometer personally.
The small keg could make a good thumper.

Geoff
The Baker
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Yeah if it was me I’d put a coupling at the top so you can swing that liebig up and out so its farther from the flames . .... just me .... but I like my collection point as far away from the flames as possible . Also that will make it higher and you won’t be needing to bend down so far to change jars
Also try to make sure that hose connections come out at an angle that they won’t soften , bent and cut flow when the hot coolant water exits . .... don’t ask me how I know . :oops:

Apart from that , love your work . :thumbup:
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

What is that black shit on the reducers? Tar?
bs5617
Novice

Post by bs5617 »

jog666 wrote:What is that black shit on the reducers? Tar?
No its where it got heated up from bring it from a 2 inch to a 3/4
In God We Trust
bs5617
Novice

Post by bs5617 »

Scott817 wrote:Looks like a 6.5 gallon keg to me so I would get a 15 and get the liebig up higher or you are gong to have your jar in the dirt. Should be easy to add a thermometer in your 90 up top. You could run like that. I never use a thermometer personally.
I can make the liebig higher, My thought with the thermometer I could control the temp better, this my 1st go around at this.
In God We Trust
bs5617
Novice

Post by bs5617 »

RunRufusRun wrote:I’m with Scott, no thermometer here either. Trouble with getting another kegs is your boiler to head connection. Looks like you had to do some heavy modifications on that keg to install your fittings. Probably should have started with the half barrel to begin with. I started on a 1/4 and got tired of the size quickly. Looks good though, should have no problem turning out product.
the ideal was to start small and see how it goes so far I;m having a blast my next build I want to be more traditional one,
In God We Trust
bs5617
Novice

Post by bs5617 »

Yummyrum wrote:Yeah if it was me I’d put a coupling at the top so you can swing that liebig up and out so its farther from the flames . .... just me .... but I like my collection point as far away from the flames as possible . Also that will make it higher and you won’t be needing to bend down so far to change jars
Also try to make sure that hose connections come out at an angle that they won’t soften , bent and cut flow when the hot coolant water exits . .... don’t ask me how I know . :oops:

Good ideal I can make the column taller and get the liebig far away Ill rework the angle of the hose as well
In God We Trust
bs5617
Novice

Post by bs5617 »

Gentlemen thank you for your time and help, I start working on these correction and put up some more photos. Thanks
In God We Trust
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

bs5617 wrote:
Yummyrum wrote:Yeah if it was me I’d put a coupling at the top so you can swing that liebig up and out so its farther from the flames . .... just me .... but I like my collection point as far away from the flames as possible . Also that will make it higher and you won’t be needing to bend down so far to change jars

Good ideal I can make the column taller and get the liebig far away Ill rework the angle of the hose as well
You don't need the column taller, shorter would work fine just a union on the first lateral in 3/4" to pitch the condenser and get you off the ground to a table height and the goodies away from the heat.