Putting two kegs together

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

RunRufusRun
Novice

Re: Putting two kegs together

Post by RunRufusRun »

Wait, your book tells you that you have balance control on dc settings?
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Yeah, if I run into work I'll confirm, but yes. We have two pages that are in a plastic sheath on top of the machine, one is for aluminum( put this here, this here, set that there, etc) and a second sheet for SS( switch to this, change that, etc)

I just followed what the Miller book/sheet said, never questioned it. It says 3 on balance for SS and 6 for alum...or I'm completely out to lunch and you set it to 3 for alum and don't worry (change) for SS? I don't know but I'll check next time I'm in the shop.(on vacation right now, not that I don't have my own keys, I'm just not there this week)
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
RunRufusRun
Novice

Post by RunRufusRun »

I’ve never heard of having balance control when welding dc. Only thing I can think is if your setting up for pulse and that’s your pulse rate. Can you remember what model that Miller is?
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

I have never seen a balance control for DCEN either. That is where curiosity will get me every time. I would be trying at different settings just to see the change in the weld. It is very obvious when you change the balance on AC aluminum though. Of course my welder is about 10 years old so it may not be up to date on extras. It is a Lincoln Precision Tig 375
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Here is my little corner of the shop.
PC170003.JPG
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Aw, geeze youz guys...now I gotta go to work and see...the curiosity is bugging me.

I'll run in later today.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Time for some pictures....
Attachments
pic of welder
pic of welder
Welder info
Welder info
Last edited by goinbroke2 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Pics of the charts for SS and Alum;
Attachments
SS chart
SS chart
Aluminum settings
Aluminum settings
SS settings
SS settings
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Oh, and for Corene..pics of my welding shop :wink:

apparently taken with a potato... :oops:
Attachments
Shop 11.jpg
Shop 22.jpg
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

HAHAHA! Your shop is sure a lot cleaner than mine. Heck the floor is even smooth and clean. My floor looks like a mine zone . I see in your notes you use pure tungsten for aluminum ( (green paint) It has been a long while since I have used that . At work we try to keep it more universal, a tungsten that will work for all materials, but then again we are a job shop not a production shop. We do a lot of one off stuff and misc repairs. Mostly in the oilfield or food service areas but some farm work as well as the cement plants around here. Occasionally a hot rod or two. I will be building steam valves for one company and inconel burners for a potato chip factory for the next several of weeks.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Lol, it better be clean, can't stand tripping over stuff and looking for tools/ppe that wasn't put away.
(Great thing about being the boss, my pet peeves are law, lol)

We use the green tip because that's what the book says. If we had an actual welder, they would probably get something different.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Been practising, here's the US flag, what do you think?
Attachments
image.jpeg
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Lol, I wish..... :lol:
RunRufusRun
Novice

Post by RunRufusRun »

The balance/dig control works for those two separate functions. When you switch to AC it controls your balance, switch to DC it controls your dig. Dig is called arc force by Lincoln which I think is a better description. So gtaw and smaw your power source is constant current, meaning you set the amperage and that’s where it stays, where as your voltage varies depending on your arc length. Longer arc, higher voltage/shorter arc, lower voltage. Usually the dig feature is used when smaw with a deep penetrating rod so you can really shorten your arc in a root pass to get full penetration without your voltage dropping to much and snuffing out your arc. Basically set it high to have a more aggressive, digging arc. Set low to have a softer, shallower penetrating

There is no situation that I can think of where you would need to have dig control on an AC setting, or if it would even work. So designers at Miller used the knob to control one or the other depending on what you have the machine set to.

Now with gtaw this isn’t going to matter as much in most instances. It might help if you set the dig high if you are welding at real low amperage to keep the arc lit. My guess would be they just suggest 3 as a middle of the road setting while gtaw.

Sorry if any of that is hard to follow. I’m a weld engineer not a teacher.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

So more bubble, less gum, got it! Lol!

Just ran 11gallons of sugar wash neutral and am now deep into it!!!

Better go, people showed up.
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

Going to try this putting three together but the welding is out of my league I will cut all the pieces and drill all the holes and hopefully I won't get raped having it welded plan on using two 5500 watt double curve elements and building my own pid controller on top will be 3 or 4 inch column this should increase my output so I only have to run a couple of times a year.
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

goinbroke2 wrote:Been practising, here's the US flag, what do you think?
LONG MAY SHE WAVE GOD BLESS AMERICA
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Sunshineer wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:25 pm
goinbroke2 wrote:Been practising, here's the US flag, what do you think?
LONG MAY SHE WAVE GOD BLESS AMERICA
As a Canadian, I agree, long may she wave!
NiteHawk
Novice

Post by NiteHawk »

I think I would have just used the second keg like a thumper and filled them both with wash.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

So, just to follow up...
I'm running the 114l still now, only have one 4500 element in it.(haven't got around to adding a second)

Started stripping at 9:30am, finished the spirit run at 5:30pm. Ended with just shy of 5gal of sugar wash at 74%. Not a bad days work.
My plan is to run once a year and make enough for all year. So ferment in 121l can and run it off in a single day, do that 3 times and I have neutral, whisky and rum for the year.

Who am I kidding, I go through 15 gal in 9 months....maybe that's why my "check liver" light keeps coming on. :ebiggrin:
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

goinbroke2 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:37 am....maybe that's why my "check liver" light keeps coming on....
:shock: Until it DOESN’T.

Gotta think...“4 off...1 on”. Give ‘er a chance to heal.

As a baby boomer, my CBC gets checked every 5 years. If my liver enzymes are high...I’ve got to abstain for a couple of YEARS! Just pay attention to the markers, cirrhosis is not good.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Thanks for the concern SS but its all good. I think I give away more than I drink in reality.

(well, probably, lol)
Dewstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dewstiller »

Nice..

I am certain, am theises heir forums dat they only would like to hear about stories about half that size. 8)