Everlasting gaskets compress, then leak

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Cletus_Spuckler
Bootlegger

Everlasting gaskets compress, then leak

Post by Cletus_Spuckler » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:49 am

Hey all, its been a while. Have had a problem with my gaskets which has put me off distilling for 6 months or so.

PROBLEM
The problem is my 4” everlasting gaskets are letting vapour leak. Might be my easy flanges, but honestly i think they are pretty smooth and flat, so aren't the issue.

If i wrap a new roll of pfte around each gasket before use, they seem to work ok. Problem is it takes 20 minutes per gasket and I have 5 of them. Cbf doing that every time.

POSSIBLE CAUSE
My gaskets need to be really thick (>5mm), as I’d milled the flange thickness down to 1mm (long story). The gaskets seem to compress down to a slimmer thickness after use which is when they start leaking. Also, they get kind of spongy after use which might be part of the problem.

QUESTION
Has anyone tried baking an easyflange to harden it, therefore making it less susceptible to compressing after use and making them non-permeable to liquid?

I can do a test but thought I’d ask first as I dont want to unnecessarily ruin one of my gaskets. Each one has about TEN rolls of tape applied to it. Thats 3.5 hours of wrapping for each gasket!

All help/input will be much appreciated.

C👍
Last edited by Cletus_Spuckler on Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
My 4" Modular Bubbler Build:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69904

Welcome Centre:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=69903

NiteHawk
Novice

Re: Everlasting gaskets compress, then leak

Post by NiteHawk » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:58 am

Flour past would not be so time intensive.

HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:03 am

how much hotter than the 210* bake they get every session are yo going to bake them? plastics (even teflon) do weird shit when they get heated past what their rating is, so i'd be careful with that.

there are other gaskets that shall not be mentioned that manufacturers rated for alcohol tolerance. talk to your local sanitary stainless supply company they maybe have some teflon sandwich gaskets? glacier tanks has them i believe. there are other options too. try larry at still dragon.

just do your own research until you are happy you are safe.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.

acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:54 am

Quote:
I can do a test but thought I’d ask first as I dont want to unnecessarily ruin one of my gaskets. Each one has about TEN rolls of tape applied to it. Thats 3.5 hours of wrapping for each gasket!

That seems a bit excessive couple times around would be enough. With 10 rolls each you are going to have high and low spots to be sure.

Cletus_Spuckler
Bootlegger

Post by Cletus_Spuckler » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:41 am

HDNB, the tape packaging says it has a working temp of up to 250c, so was thinking id go with that. Maybe start at 200c.

Problem using TC gaskets is that they wont be thick enough. Id probably need to double up

Welcome Centre:

corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:54 am

When I need to make a thicker gasket I will take a sheet of copper and cut new gaskets out of it . I then anneal it and wrap it with teflon tape. Only the tape compresses and it lasts for a very long time. I have also done it with ptfe gaskets. Just sanded the raised ring off and wrapped them with tape as well. If you really need some thickness use 2 of them and wrap. Wrap the first one with a single layer then add the second one and continue wrapping.

Bushman
Master Distiller

Post by Bushman » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:24 pm

I use the everlasting gasket on my 6” opening on my old milk container for essential oil without having a leak. I used a fairly thick piece of cardboard before wrapping with tape. Maybe that is the difference.

NZChris
Master Distiller

Post by NZChris » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:28 pm

These might help.
PTFE Envelope Tri-Clamp Gaskets with Viton Filler
https://shopbvv.com/products/ptfe-envel ... ton-filler

HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:59 pm

NZChris wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:28 pm
These might help.
PTFE Envelope Tri-Clamp Gaskets with Viton Filler
https://shopbvv.com/products/ptfe-envel ... ton-filler
yeah man...those will fill some gaps. you need hi pressure clamps for them from when i used them. (bolts instead of thumb screws)
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.

shadylane
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shadylane » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:53 pm

For tri-clamp gaskets, I wrap ptfe tape around silicone gaskets
For easy flange gaskets, I trim the ridges off both sides of a silicone gasket and wrap it in ptfe tape.
Never did like the idea of using cardboard, don't know whats in it.
Silicone gaskets don't compress and leak
All they need is a layer of ptfe to keep the silicone away from the alcohol vapor

Cletus_Spuckler
Bootlegger

Post by Cletus_Spuckler » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:54 am

I ended up sticking them in the oven for 15 minutes at 200c. Didnt really do anything. Just kind of made them softer for a bit until they cooled down.

If i still have problems, Ill just get some pfte gaskets from glacier tanks, sand off the ridge, double them up and wrap in pfte tape.

It’ll cost me about $80 AUD to make 5 gaskets by the time I factor exchange rate/shipping etc; hence why I’ve been hesitant to go down that route.

Welcome Centre:

thecroweater
Master Distiller

Post by thecroweater » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:12 am

shadylane wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:53 pm
For tri-clamp gaskets, I wrap ptfe tape around silicone gaskets
For easy flange gaskets, I trim the ridges off both sides of a silicone gasket and wrap it in ptfe tape.
Never did like the idea of using cardboard, don't know whats in it.
Silicone gaskets don't compress and leak
All they need is a layer of ptfe to keep the silicone away from the alcohol vapor
This is exactly what I've been saying for ages. If you are going to wrap it start with something that will seal in the first place and if you are worried you might not wrap it well enough why on gods name would you use some random type of cardboard with who knows what in it
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin

Truckinbutch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Truckinbutch » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:22 pm

I use heavy posterboard for 13"+ rings with tripple wrap teflon and multiple vice grips for mu cap to boiler fit . Readjusting clamps cures leaks and they last for months .
Just my approach .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .

Cletus_Spuckler
Bootlegger

Post by Cletus_Spuckler » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:35 am

128.jpg
Thought I'd may as well upload a photo so you can see what we're talking about. The gasket has been in the still for for a few hours and has been cranked past finger tight a couple of times. It is now 7mm thick. I don't think its leaking. Fingers crossed it stays that way!

Welcome Centre:

StillerBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by StillerBoy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:02 am

From the picture, and I maybe mistaken, but your tri-clamp is setting in pretty close or almost againth the pipe.. are the pipe end angled some.. if they are straight, that would explain your problem with sealing as very little pressure is applied across the whole ferrule, and what pressure is applied is only at the outer edge.. plus the ferrule being on the thin side will cause them to be deform by the tri-clamp, as tri-clamps are not machine and a-line perfectly..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my ideas "

– Albert Einstein

Cletus_Spuckler
Bootlegger

Post by Cletus_Spuckler » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:55 pm

130.jpg
No, not up against the pipe. If anything maybe too far away from it?
The dia of the flange is pretty much exactly the same as a standard 4" ferrule. I tried to match the angle as best as I could

Welcome Centre:

manu de hanoi
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by manu de hanoi » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:42 am

The gasket looks white like PTFE, if the gasket is indeed PTFE then you should change it for silicone gasket (PTFE isnt elastic, it "creeps" ->leaks)

Desvio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Desvio » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:42 am

Cletus_Spuckler wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:35 am
The gasket has been in the still for for a few hours and has been cranked past finger tight a couple of times. It is now 7mm thick. I don't think its leaking. Fingers crossed it stays that way!
Tight isn't always tight with tri-clamps and PTFE seals, I noticed malling between the nut and clamp, was fighting that friction to get mine tight and seal up. I put a stainless washer between the nut and clamp with a dab of food safe oil and have never had to question it again, made a huge difference with what "tight" really meant.
2019-08-29_8-29-51.jpg
People say that I'm a bad influence. I say the world's already f#cked -- I'm just adding to it.

Cletus_Spuckler
Bootlegger

Post by Cletus_Spuckler » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:35 am

Thanks guys and girls, I'll take everything you've said on board and see how I go on my next run

Welcome Centre: