Sanke Triclover clamp connection

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

scmoose
Novice

Sanke Triclover clamp connection

Post by scmoose »

I'm having a hard time getting my 2" column to seal to the sanke connection on my keg and thumper. I bought a ptfe sanke gasket, but they are two thick and the tri-clamp will not correctly clamp the two pieces together. My column has an "alcohol safe" O ring that fits in the groove on the bottom of the column, but it seams to hit the two notches on the sanke connections where the keg valve was held in, causing it to leak. What are you guys using for this type set up. The ptfe gasket had a raised portion on the both sides, I cut one of them off creating a flat surface for the sanke side.
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Sanke Triclover clamp connection

Post by pope »

Sand it down to make it thinner. I tried the o-ring long ago, it's not enough surface area to seal easily. If you removed one side but it's still too thick just make it thinner. Note that ptfe is finnicky about making a seal so whatever you sand it with finish with a fairly fine grit to get a smooth surface, and really crank down the tc clamp if you're still having leak issues.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Another solution if you're into building stuff.
Silver Soldering a Tri-clamp Ferrule

I test-fitted a 2" ferrule into the neck of one of my kegs and it slipped inside perfectly. It would take minimal prep work to complete.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

As Pope suggested, sand it down. Flat surface and a bit of sandpaper, job takes less than a minute. To add a bit of compression, just give the gasket a wrap in PTFE tape. Done.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Try putting it together without a gasket......then wrap around the outside with half a dozen wraps of PTFE thread tape.....then put the clamp on and tighten. Used my old keg boiler that way heaps of times ......never a leak.
scmoose
Novice

Post by scmoose »

I ran them on a belt sander last night to make them thinner, clamp fits much better, no leaks during a vinegar run. Hopefully problem solved.