Ball vs Butterfly Valve

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Ball vs Butterfly Valve

Post by Twisted Brick »

I see a lot of new boilers coming with butterfly drain valves. Any opinion on these vs ball valves? The obvious advantage to the butterfly is that it takes less space and the handle is up, out of the way. The disadvantage is that it doesn't open/stop infinitely and it costs more.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Desvio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Ball vs Butterfly Valve

Post by Desvio »

My boiler came (past tense) with a butterfly valve, worked okay at first but later started weeping if left alone. Usually after a run I shut everything down and walk away and deal with it the next day, after a couple days I had a mess to clean up in my brewing area, slapped a ball valve on there and never have to worry. Both are an eaqual pain when it comes to routine disassembly and cleaning, and I get maybe my butterfly valve might have been a cheapo, but my personal preference I'm sticking with the ball valve.
People say that I'm a bad influence. I say the world's already f#cked -- I'm just adding to it.
jimmayhugh
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jimmayhugh »

I only have Tri-clamps, and my experience with both is that the butterfly valves normally come with either rubber or silicone valve seats, and the few that do have PTFE seem to warp or leak sooner. It's fairly common for ball valves to have PTFE seats, and they seem to last longer.
43South
Novice

Post by 43South »

due to their construction butterfly valves are easier to clean & therefore considered more sanitary for brewing, not such an issue if distilling or if you pull your ball valves apart & clean properly after each use
I personally prefer them in my brewery but won't front the extra $'s for the distillery
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Ball valves work better for solids, otherwise it doesn't matter in my experience.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

All good input, thank you. I'm having a 2" ferrule welded to the (bottom) side of my keg and need to pick. Think I'll go with the ball valves, cuz I gotta buy 3 (2 for my ss conical) and could not justify spending $120 if they're gonna weep later on.

I never even thought about solids. Thanks SMY.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
jimmayhugh
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jimmayhugh »

Desvio wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:31 pm Both are an eaqual pain when it comes to routine disassembly and cleaning, and I get maybe my butterfly valve might have been a cheapo, but my personal preference I'm sticking with the ball valve.
I use these instead of the three-piece ball valves. Quick and easy to disassemble and clean, about the same price as a quality three-piece ball valve, plus they also carry the replacement seals and gaskets.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

jimmayhugh wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:21 pm
I use these instead of the three-piece ball valves. Quick and easy to disassemble and clean, about the same price as a quality three-piece ball valve, plus they also carry the replacement seals and gaskets.
I may have to save up my pennies for one of these. That quick clean capability looks tits. Brewers Hardware is 20min from home (5min from my son's house and he could pick one up for me).

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
mtnshiner85
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by mtnshiner85 »

I Use 3/4 ball valves from Lowe’s on mine, not had any issues so far (4 years) I get the ones a water hose will hook to so I can fill barrels with hot water or drain spent beer to where I want it.
Desvio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Desvio »

Twisted Brick wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:14 pm
jimmayhugh wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:21 pm
I may have to save up my pennies for one of these. That quick clean capability looks tits. Brewers Hardware is 20min from home (5min from my son's house and he could pick one up for me).
Dang I gotta agree, that's a good find when my current one gets to replacement time.
People say that I'm a bad influence. I say the world's already f#cked -- I'm just adding to it.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Ball valves are better with solids.

Butterfly valves are easiest to clean and change "seats." Unfortunately not all 2" BV are the same size. So, be careful to get them from someone that seals the seats for them. I have several cheap Butterfly valves I can't find seats for.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005