Cleaning a new build rig

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jason1979
Bootlegger

Cleaning a new build rig

Post by Jason1979 »

What do you use to clean a freshly built rig? white vinegar? distilled white vinegar?

Only asking as white and distilled vinegars differ fundamentally in their acetic acid content, and knowing what one to use when cleaning a newly built rig would be handy... I can't be the only person to question this, right? can anyone clarify.

Check below:-

White aka spirit vinegar = 5% to 20% acetic acid content.
White vinegar is sometimes also referred to as spirit vinegar. Contrary to its name, white vinegar is actually clear. It is usually produced from sugar cane, the extract of which is put through acid fermentation. In the process, the liquid is oxidized, causing the chemicals in it to change and become more acidic. Another way of making white vinegar is to combine acetic acid with water. This variation is much sourer than the naturally fermented type; it has 5% to 20% acetic acid content and is considered stronger than any of the other types.

Distilled = 5-8% acetic acid content.
Distilled vinegar, also known as virgin vinegar, can be made from just about any vinegar – for instance: rice, malt, wine, fruit, balsamic, apple cider, kiwifruit, rice, coconut, palm, cane, raisin, date, beer, honey, kombucha, and much more. As its name suggests, this vinegar is distilled from ethanol. ‘Distilled’ plainly means that the liquid component is separated from the base mixture. This produces a colorless solution with 5-8% acetic acid in the water – relatively weaker than white or spirit vinegar.

Thanks
NJen
Swill Maker

Re: Cleaning a new build rig

Post by NJen »

I use distilled white, but I don't imagine it makes a huge difference.
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

Great Value distilled white.
Jason1979
Bootlegger

Post by Jason1979 »

I have the correct stuff then

Thanks guys
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

what ever vinegar you use , vinegar steam the shit
out of it ... and then ... immediately, rinse the hell out of it with clean water or if nothing else , dump the vinegar and refill the boiler with water and stream. clean the shit out of it ... and then ... rinse the hell out of it with clean water :

If you haven’t got it , I hate vinegar runs . Follow up treatment is essential

or you might be asking questions about bluey green stuff :?
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

I too dislike running vinegar but it's a necessary evil for cleaning. I do the same thing, hand wash, fill and run steam through it for a while, then break it down and hand clean everything again. Then at some point do an alcohol sacrificial run. But you don't want to let the still sit after the vinegar run and want to clean it pretty darn well as soon as it cools down enough to work with!
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.