Chinese column/pot still: which is the better design?

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

batch97
Novice

Chinese column/pot still: which is the better design?

Post by batch97 »

Hi all,
I've been lurking in and out of this subject for awhile now. But feel like I'm narrowing down my choices about what I want to do.
On Aliexpress, there seems to be quite a few Stainless columns t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶b̶a̶s̶i̶c̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶d̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶w̶o̶ ̶t̶y̶p̶e̶s̶. I like these over the all copper ones I've seen on ebay (easier cleaning and more modulare than soldered copper).

T̶y̶p̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶h̶t̶t̶p̶s̶:̶/̶/̶w̶w̶w̶.̶a̶l̶i̶e̶x̶p̶r̶e ... 4̶7̶8̶.̶3̶
Type two https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3292402 ... 2e0eGML6jV

At first glance they look very similar;
  • Condensers are ~same length.
  • Both have triclamps and spools of approximate the same lengths.
  • thermowell is in the same place (or can be configured as such)
  • They are both approximately the same price (there are about a half dozen vendors for either type)
The outlet is a little different in that one looks like a flat plate with an offset outlet. While the other is a cup design with the outlet at the bottom.
And "type one" shows one end of the long spool piece as 1.5". But customer pictures show both ends as the same 2" flanges. Why would they use 1.5" flanges? (I thought kegs were 2")

I think either one would work (partial to "type two"). But then again, I'm a newb :). Any other differences that those with experience under their belt see, or I should look for?

Edit: looking more closely myself I seem to have answered one of my questions. The "Type one" has a 1.5" flange as the seller has their own vats and lids made for 1.5" flanges already. I'd still appreciate anyone's opinions on "Type Two". There seems to be a lot of other possibilities with it, as I've found below. Anyone recommend a "buy once, cry once" upgrade from the basic still above, for any of these?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3285488 ... 2e0ecG5ipj
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3288191 ... 7563%23550
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3283755 ... 2e0ecG5ipj

Edit: removed one of the options.
Last edited by batch97 on Fri May 29, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HomerD
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Chinese column/pot still: which is the better design?

Post by HomerD »

What are trying to make with it? All of the silicone gaskets would have to be replaced. Silicone isn’t safe for distillation.
[align=][/align]Stay strapped or get clapped.
15.5 gallon boiler, 5 gallon thumper, shotgun condenser, 57” spiraled liebig,
mash steam cooker head, 5.5 kW element with SCR controller
All modular
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

You get what you pay for.....imo both are cheap Chinese junk.
batch97
Novice

Post by batch97 »

HomerD wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:50 pm What are trying to make with it? All of the silicone gaskets would have to be replaced. Silicone isn’t safe for distillation.
Rum, whisky, fruit brandies. Maybe eventually vodka/neutral for cordials.

One of the reasons I liked this design is that it is modular. So going from a short pot still to something else looks like it would be pretty easy.
batch97
Novice

Post by batch97 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:18 pm You get what you pay for.....imo both are cheap Chinese junk.
This is true. Hence my asking as I've read various experiences with people ordering parts. Most seem to get very good items. Some not so much.

The SS wall thickness on this one is ~1.5mm. Not the thickness, but thick enough for a non-pressure vessel. I've seen some people sell on ebay. Here's one with photo's, selling the same still head.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/oakstills-com/ ... 7675.l2562
HomerD
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HomerD »

I think you could order spools and make a lot more efficient still. You’re also going to need some copper to clean things up. I would honestly look through the builds that others have done with spools. Just my 2 cents.
[align=][/align]Stay strapped or get clapped.
15.5 gallon boiler, 5 gallon thumper, shotgun condenser, 57” spiraled liebig,
mash steam cooker head, 5.5 kW element with SCR controller
All modular
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Since you're mainly looking for flavored spirits I'd suggest a pot still. Simple and they don't look very cool without all the fancy bubble plates and packings and what have you, but most of the world's most sought after flavored spirits are made on the humble pot still.

Get a keg. Or one of those milk can boilers. Choose the biggest size you can handle, ferment wise.
Go for tri clamps. You can just piece everything together.
You only need a spool for a riser, 2 90 degree elbows and a decent product condenser.
If you want to produce neutral later on you can easily convert to a ccvm or cm with minimal extra parts.
ravi
Novice

Post by ravi »

hello,i bought the same column(https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3292402 ... 2e0eGML6jV) recently form the same vendor and the experience is horrible! i recommend make your own.

cheers
In search of Dream whiskey.................
batch97
Novice

Post by batch97 »

ravi wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:20 pm hello,i bought the same column(https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3292402 ... 2e0eGML6jV) recently form the same vendor and the experience is horrible! i recommend make your own.

cheers
Can you provide more detail about the issues you are having?
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

I have no experience with China stills. I don't see how you could go wrong with SS Tri-Clamp parts like shown in your links. The only thing that stands out to me, which was brought to my attention recently, is how the glass sight tower uses stamped metal flanges for the threaded rods to attach. Now I don't know if those are flimsy/weak or not, but you'll see that if you pay a little bit more, you will have much more solid sight glass towers.

I wouldn't know if the condensers are junk or not. The only way I can think of that could make them junk is if the metal is not very thermal conductive, too thick and if there are not enough tubes depending on their size. I'd read their reviews and hopefully people write reviews after using the item. Too often they don't.
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

Build your own, bro...

But seriously, I was gifted something similar to these and it got me into distilling. But it was a junky pain in the ass. Modified everything just using SS pot.

So if it's your first, it will either frustrate or inspire you. But you can learn to drive in a Pinto same as a Mercedes...
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

Hambone, can you please be more specific about what was junk about it? I've been considering buying a China made sight glass tower with 2 bubble plates and their prices are reasonable in comparison to trying to build it myself.
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

Mine was certainly not a column! Was a good pot with a poor condenser. Rebuilt around boiler...

I’ve seen the bubble plate columns on Alibaba and they look great...
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
Sazerac
Novice

Post by Sazerac »

Aliexpress has a pretty mixed bag of quality and customer service, and their dispute resolution process favours the seller a little than Ebay's, so be aware and pick your seller carefully. That said the only dispute I had there was resolved pretty well in my favour, the seller even ignored the shitty default ali judgement and sent a full replacement, not distilling related thought.

I bought a number of bits and pieces from distillarus on ali when they were still operating, mostly just ferrules etc though. All of it was decent quality. The largest thing I got from them was a parrot and that was solidly made, with decent welds etc. Distillex looks pretty similar, and I have ordered some more ferrules and clamps from them recently, so I'll see what they are like.

There is nothing wrong with buying kits/premade setups from sites like this, but I suggest you read through still designs here first and try and understand what you need for what you want to make first. If flavoured spirits are the go, the you just need a condenser, short spool and two elbows as previously mentioned, although I'd try and get at least most of that in copper.
charcoal
Swill Maker

Post by charcoal »

I buy everything from aliexpress and have been quite happy. I have bought few parts from Australian shops but now everything is out of stock.

The first still is from Dibosh and will supply 2" pipe end if you ask them. They indicate that in the diagram as well. They are the cheapest for that set. I bought that set. If buying again, I may buy from them too.

These are the stores I have bought from and have been happy.
Distillex
Winmart
Dibosh
Sorekara
KONGCHENG Fittings Store
METALIST uptop Store
MegaIron store

It is just pipes. And you can buy few spare PTFE gaskets. The silicone gaskets are not a reason to reject a still.
charcoal
Swill Maker

Post by charcoal »

The real still looks slightly different from the photo on website . Here are the photos from my still.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=76373