My CCVM reflux build

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

policar
Novice

My CCVM reflux build

Post by policar »

Hi everyone... So the last month I got really into distillery. Before, I was casually distilling all sorts of fruit mashes around Christmas time, when there is snow because I like the atmosphere it gives and so on.. but the last couple of weeks, I got into whiskey and vodka and made a sugarwash and then it got me thinking I can't just still it in a normal pot still... (I can yes but it's to booooring, and the alcohol level comes out low and I want that 90-95% abv) Anyway enough talking.. so there was this beerkeg 10 minutes away from my home which was converted to brew beer I thought eh what the hell I'm going to flip it and make a new "bottom" because I'll be using gas... The only thing I bought was the keg some pipes and the sight glass which will arrive soon... everything else was laying at home... I filled almost everything with gas when welding so it's a nice smooth weld on each side...
I'm sorry for the bad pictures and my inglish but most of my pictures are to large.
20200829_195343.jpg
20200829_195353.jpg
20200829_184909.jpg
20200829_140225.jpg
20200829_140245.jpg
20200828_211544.jpg
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My CCVM reflux build

Post by v-child »

Nice welding!
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Wish I could make something like this
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Really nice welds. You'll want to get some copper in the vapor path to reduce sulfur products from fermentation.
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

I'd just get some copper mesh and put a couple stacks of it somewhere in the riser. I usually put it in the base of the riser.
policar
Novice

Post by policar »

Thanks guys.... I will put coper mesh in when I'll be stilling, also the ccvm coil will be made from coper.

Have a nice one...
policar
Novice

Post by policar »

Durhommer wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:05 am Wish I could make something like this
The only thing that I brought was the beerkeg and some pipes everything else is made from scratch. :)
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

This is one of those hobbies where the best items are all hand-made and not overpriced specialty crap from a retailer. Sure some people can afford the latest and greatest "double wazoo re-refluxing multi-purpose CCVM still", but they can never one-up a well constructed homemade rig ever. Take pride in what you do.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Oh crap, i got the single wazoo, time to upgrade [emoji6]
policar
Novice

Post by policar »

v-child wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:50 am This is one of those hobbies where the best items are all hand-made and not overpriced specialty crap from a retailer. Sure some people can afford the latest and greatest "double wazoo re-refluxing multi-purpose CCVM still", but they can never one-up a well constructed homemade rig ever. Take pride in what you do.
I completely agree with you i don't even have money to spend for this i have lots of hobbies which take time and money but this is that kind of hobbi which kicks in at the end of the year when all the fruits are ready when there's more time...i like to still in the winter...like I said it's because of the atmosphere...
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

v-child wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:50 am This is one of those hobbies where the best items are all hand-made and not overpriced specialty crap from a retailer. Sure some people can afford the latest and greatest "double wazoo re-refluxing multi-purpose CCVM still", but they can never one-up a well constructed homemade rig ever. Take pride in what you do.
This is faux elitist twaddle. Not everyone has the skills equipment or time to make their own equipment.

The equipment is probably less than 50% of a successful outcome, much of it rests with the knowledge skills and patience of the operator. I would hate to think that people don’t enter this hobby just because they think the only way to have the best still is to make it themselves.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

kimbodious wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:39 pm
This is faux elitist twaddle. Not everyone has the skills equipment or time to make their own equipment.

The equipment is probably less than 50% of a successful outcome, much of it rests with the knowledge skills and patience of the operator. I would hate to think that people don’t enter this hobby just because they think the only way to have the best still is to make it themselves.
I think you missed it. Most stuff from the retailers is over priced IMO, and generally craftsman built stills are nicer than generic factory built stills. Quality of output wasn't mentioned.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by kimbodious »

Expat wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:45 pm
kimbodious wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:39 pm

I think you missed it. Most stuff from the retailers is over priced IMO, and generally craftsman built stills are nicer than generic factory built stills. Quality of output wasn't mentioned.
Best stills at what then? Appearances? Nicer? LOL :lol: A still is surely a piece of equipment for separating alcohol from a low purity mixture. As long as it does the job safely effectively and efficiently what does it matter who and how it was made or what it looks like?
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

There are a lot of rubbish stills out there in the commecial world being sold.
I always encorage people to build rather than buy.
Building doesnt have to mean that every part is hand made.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

I get what you are saying Saltbush Bill. People should put a lot of consideration in to the design of any stills before they jump whether if that is to build or buy. People are in a rush to enter this hobby. I am as guilty as anyone of getting my first still based on price rather than suitability of design.
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
policar
Novice

Post by policar »

Hi, I have a stupid question...so how much "rols" of mesh should I put inside the riser? They are 10mm wide and very stuffed together 2-3?

Preview on a small tube:
20200915_191518.jpg
20200915_191516.jpg
Thanks!
Mash master
Novice

Post by Mash master »

Those look really tightly packed! Too tight and you’ll get massive temperature swings
policar
Novice

Post by policar »

Mash master wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:46 am Those look really tightly packed! Too tight and you’ll get massive temperature swings
They are tight yes, thanks for the answer. I'm going to change them...if I understand this correctly the copper is just to eliminate sulphur... so a stainless steel still (with copper mesh), works just as great as a copper one? Or is the copper still, still better? I'm sorry for the questions but it got me wondering...

My still is almost finished just waiting for some more clamps...
20200910_190401.jpg
20200914_131207.jpg
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

If you find you are not getting as high ABV as expected you could try unrolling the copper mesh and repacking the column. This gives the condensate a more convoluted and random path back to the boiler making greater opportunity to mingle with the vapour. You still need to take care not to pack it unevenly and or too tightly.
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

policar wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:21 am Hi, I have a stupid question...so how much "rols" of mesh should I put inside the riser? They are 10mm wide and very stuffed together 2-3?
You need to specify if its a Pot still or the CCVM you are talking about .
When referring to the CCVM , you are packing the “Column“ and it should be fully packed for its entire length .

When referring to a Pot still , it is called a Riser . For sulfer removal in a SS still , yes one or two rolls is probably heaps assuming the rolls are about 4” long .
policar
Novice

Post by policar »

Yummyrum wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:23 pm
policar wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:21 am Hi, I have a stupid question...so how much "rols" of mesh should I put inside the riser? They are 10mm wide and very stuffed together 2-3?
You need to specify if its a Pot still or the CCVM you are talking about .
When referring to the CCVM , you are packing the “Column“ and it should be fully packed for its entire length .

When referring to a Pot still , it is called a Riser . For sulfer removal in a SS still , yes one or two rolls is probably heaps assuming the rolls are about 4” long .
Thanks for the answer, how much do this roles last for? A couple of runs or more?
policar
Novice

Post by policar »

kimbodious wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:47 pm If you find you are not getting as high ABV as expected you could try unrolling the copper mesh and repacking the column. This gives the condensate a more convoluted and random path back to the boiler making greater opportunity to mingle with the vapour. You still need to take care not to pack it unevenly and or too tightly.
Thanks I will untie them and rewine them back.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

policar wrote:
Thanks for the answer, how much do this roles last for? A couple of runs or more?

I have 2 copper rolls supporting the raschig ring packing of my CCVM. I only reflux feints 2 or 3 times a year. My copper packing is 5 years old and holding up fine.
policar
Novice

Post by policar »

Finally first run.. :D
20201004_114310.jpg
20201004_113931.jpg
20201004_143950.jpg
I need a parrot and then I'm almost set.. I will probably change the T section to 2½ inch. What do you think?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I think you should get rid of that plastic collection vessel
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

policar wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:46 am Finally first run.. :D
20201004_114310.jpg20201004_113931.jpg20201004_143950.jpg
I need a parrot and then I'm almost set.. I will probably change the T section to 2½ inch. What do you think?
How much did that still cost to make welding and all
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

very very nice build.
I'm headed down a the same path only silver solder and copper pipe/ although I could be convinced to use stainless if I could find 3" locally.

If you have the ability and equipment to weld stainless this is really a nice outcome.
policar
Novice

Post by policar »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:17 pm I think you should get rid of that plastic collection vessel
That was just for the cleaning run... I do everything with glass
policar
Novice

Post by policar »

Durhommer wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:30 pm
policar wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:46 am Finally first run.. :D
20201004_114310.jpg20201004_113931.jpg20201004_143950.jpg
How much did that still cost to make welding and all
The boiler with gas thing was around 50€, the pipes were laying at home, the sight glass was also around 50€, the clamps were mostly laying at home, had to buy 3 (15€ each) I was welding at home... let's just say it was around 200-250€
policar
Novice

Post by policar »

tiramisu wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:43 pm very very nice build.
I'm headed down a the same path only silver solder and copper pipe/ although I could be convinced to use stainless if I could find 3" locally.

If you have the ability and equipment to weld stainless this is really a nice outcome.
Thanks i wanted to do it from copper too, but in our country copper is just expensive.. and I had most stainless pipes at home..