New Keg build

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

snowfighter
Novice

New Keg build

Post by snowfighter »

Hello All,

Its been awhile since I have posted. I have a serious lurking problem.
I found a couple of these stainless carts and thought they would be perfect.
The plan is to go electric heat with a 5500 watt heater with a potentiometer? Maybe an ez boil to bring it up to temp. The keg is inverted so I have a 2" drain and am reducing it to 1" at the valve.
The top will also have a 4" fill port. One 2" tri clamp for the heating element. I have 30 amp 220 6 feet from where it will go.. I plan on putting a 30 amp plug in the back or side of the cart that is wired to the controller. I am setting it up as a pot still I have a 6" to 2" bowl reducer and will go copper after that. The plan is to use a pony keg for the thumper. The thumper will be on the second cart. I am planning on building a shotgun condenser that has tri clamp fittings so I can use it wether or not I am running the thumper. I am the worlds worst tig welder but I do have an old one that you see in the back so I am not sure if I am going to weld it or pay the man. Ill get some more pictures as I progress. I am by no means a builder so any input is welcome. Currently have one copper pot still and on keg still with a Boka column. both are gas fired.

image.png
Bushman
Admin

Re: New Keg build

Post by Bushman »

Looks good, I also have a 4” opening in my boiler. It makes it easier to clean. Going electric having a drain port is a bonus, I added mine to the lower side of my keg opposite my electrical outlet. It wasn’t until after I built my. Still that a member came up with the idea to flip it upside down.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Great job on the cart. I've considered going that route in the past - I might have to look at it harder this time.

You're gonna love working with your 6" opening. I went with a 6" too and find it is very versatile (added 4" and 3" reducers), is more secure than my regular sankey for attaching a riser/column, and obviously makes internal cleaning a breeze.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Twisted Brick
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
snowfighter
Novice

Post by snowfighter »

I have lots of parts on order. I will have some more updates this weekend.
Tom Kat
Swill Maker

Post by Tom Kat »

Bushman wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:39 pm Looks good, I also have a 4” opening in my boiler. It makes it easier to clean. Going electric having a drain port is a bonus, I added mine to the lower side of my keg opposite my electrical outlet. It wasn’t until after I built my. Still that a member came up with the idea to flip it upside down.
I would love to see a picture of that drain, especially where it connects to the keg
There's no place like home
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Tom Kat wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:08 am
Bushman wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:39 pm Looks good, I also have a 4” opening in my boiler. It makes it easier to clean. Going electric having a drain port is a bonus, I added mine to the lower side of my keg opposite my electrical outlet. It wasn’t until after I built my. Still that a member came up with the idea to flip it upside down.
I would love to see a picture of that drain, especially where it connects to the keg
I thought I had a picture on my build thread but it’s opposite my electrical hookup shown in the following thread:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28241
I am not home but will get a picture for you tomorrow.
Tom Kat
Swill Maker

Post by Tom Kat »

thank you!
There's no place like home