liebig design question

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Magic
Novice

liebig design question

Post by Magic »

First i want to say i love this forum. ive read and read till my eyes have bled and i still not certain my answer.
i am planning on building a liebig condenser because i think its a soimple build over the shotgun. so im a plumber and have all sorts a
of sizes of copper pipe. im wondering how long it should be for differnt size pipes i have 2 inch 1 1/2 1 1/4 1 inch and so on. it will be mounted on a 2 inch colum and a pot still collum about a foot long using triclamps for a modular build . I apppreciate any thoughts on this thanks.
zed255
Distiller

Re: liebig design question

Post by zed255 »

Mine is 36" from water inlet to water outlet 3/4" over 1/2" with 12ga copper wire wound around the 1/2" (to encourage the water to wrap around the vapour tube) and is quite capable. Some say the wire doesn't help, but it doesn't appear to hurt either. I intend to do a 24" version for one of my smaller rigs, similar arrangement. You could do 1" over 3/4", but the added expense likely is no real benefit. Lots of options. Keep the water jacket thin, don't bother with 1" over 1/2" as it will only be more expensive and heavier without doing a better job.

https://homedistiller.org/forum/downloa ... p?id=64354
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Zed’s design is probably the most common size on this forum.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Similar to Zed, mines 3/4" over 1/2" but I decided to push mine out to 48" jacket length. Extra length isn't a requirement but it sure is efficient. Had my output water up to 175f before I stopped as my still room was a tropical fog from the water going in the sink drain. Distillate was still cool though. A good choice for me as I'm on municipal water, also handy using the hot water to mash in. If you got the room bigger is better imo.

Pic in my sig if you're interested.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by RC Al »

Our Aussie copper is basically a size under the usa sizes, mines a 3/4 over 1/2 except in your sizes it would be 5/8 over 7/16, 72 inches between connections, 12 litres an hour stripping with some left in the tank, im on gas but it equates back to roughly 6000w.

Someone did a dual barrel one recently and reported good results, I would prefer a regular one for spirit runs though

Dont be fooled into thinking a big water jacket is good, you actually only want it very thin and the same for the centre pipe, much more than the 1/2" runs the risk of vapour just flowing up the middle of the pipe, i certainly wouldn't go past the 3/4"

Consider other different types of condensers, with access to lots of small tube you could knock up one of the more complicated but higher performing ones like the Davies https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=36335
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

My liebig build was also 3/4 over 1/2, about 37 inches between water ports, and 44 inches OAL witha 1.5 inch TC attachment. Worked fine, but wanted a shorter package so I built a shotgun. I doubt Ill ever use the liebig again.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

Expat wrote:Similar to Zed, mines 3/4" over 1/2" but I decided to push mine out to 48" jacket length. Extra length isn't a requirement but it sure is efficient. Had my output water up to 175f before I stopped as my still room was a tropical fog from the water going in the sink drain. Distillate was still cool though. A good choice for me as I'm on municipal water, also handy using the hot water to mash in. If you got the room bigger is better imo.

Pic in my sig if you're interested.
I just built one with a 55 inch jacket. It is good to hear that it should be plenty powerful. [emoji44]
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I've automated 1" over 1/2" Liebigs using both pumps and solenoid valves with cheap on/off controllers and they both work really well. Automating 3/4" over 1/2" might work too, but I haven't tried that yet. Automating is only worthwhile if you don't have an endless supply of cheap, or free, cooling water.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

My first liebig was 3/4 over 1/2” about 1 metre long jacket .It’s a good starting condenser . I still use it on my Gin still .
My second is a 1” over 3/4” with just under 6’ shell . Thats my main condenser fir stripping . I love it because it keeps the flames far away from the collection vessel . I have clocked it at over 25 litres / hour but the flames were so high up the boiler , I was shitting myself .

I have spiral copper wire in both my liebig water jackets .
As said , the actual water flow is actually quite small and the thinner the jacket the better .
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Same as deplorable I switched to a shotgun condenser I doubt I would use the old liebig again
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

I used a worm and flake stand for a long time, then built/switched to a 6 foot long liebig, 3/4 over 1/2. Love the liebig. Ease of build, ease of use, and it will knock down anything I can throw at it. (I went to propane from wood fired). The 6' length allows me to get the product away from the flame and I found I like a long shallow angle with spout approximately table height. I think I get a better product, but who knows?[emoji848]
Make sure you drain ALL the water when storing for winter, otherwise you'll be rebuilding it in the spring. [emoji16]
Now that I'll be moving inside I'm looking at going electric and possibly building a shotgun, but I may just use my liebig that's been put up.[emoji848]
I made both of those changes(propane and liebig) after reading here at HD years ago.
The liebig is a great piece of gear. I realize 6' is probably way longer than needed, but its better to have and not need than need and not have. JMO.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

SassyFrass wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:56 am I used a worm and flake stand for a long time, then built/switched to a 6 foot long liebig, 3/4 over 1/2. Love the liebig. Ease of build, ease of use, and it will knock down anything I can throw at it. (I went to propane from wood fired). The 6' length allows me to get the product away from the flame and I found I like a long shallow angle with spout approximately table height. I think I get a better product, but who knows?[emoji848]
Make sure you drain ALL the water when storing for winter, otherwise you'll be rebuilding it in the spring. [emoji16]
Now that I'll be moving inside I'm looking at going electric and possibly building a shotgun, but I may just use my liebig that's been put up.[emoji848]
I made both of those changes(propane and liebig) after reading here at HD years ago.
The liebig is a great piece of gear. I realize 6' is probably way longer than needed, but its better to have and not need than need and not have. JMO.
SF
Keeping output away from the flames is definitely the best and most valid reason I know! :thumbup:

Shotgun is definitely a compact way to go, however if you end up having to extend it to reach a bench, compact isn't really a benefit relative to its build complexity. I doubt that a shotgun will be quite as efficient as a well designed liebig as there will be areas where the tolerances are larger and therefore less turbulent.

Cross flow condenser

Post by zed255 »

I can see the appeal of the shotgun if a relatively short condenser is warranted, but seems too many starting out are getting the impression they NEED one. With the increased build complexity, materials cost and the potential fits a new builder might have making one, I don't see why it would be the current darling on HD. Maybe for the machismo and technical ecstasy of having one? They can be heavy too compared to other types.

Hard to beat a liebig for cost, weight and ease of construction for the novice.
----------
Zed

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I agree totally Zed. To many newbs seem to think that a shot gun is a "must have ".
Imo they are just bling and overkill on most stills.
The extra time and effort to build one is hardly worth any gain that you might get.
A good size well built liebig does most anything I will ever need. For the record my plated column runs a shotty, however I do at times use my liebig on it and it works just as well.
Magic
Novice

Post by Magic »

Thanks everybody for your thoughts, so i guess i am going with a 3/4 over 1/2 since it is effective, affordable, safe,( if i add a little extra length) because i am using flames, simple, and because im not ready for a shot gun. already have a lot of pipe just need my fittings and will go tomorrow after my doc apt to get them. already ordered my tri clamps and plan on making my own ferrules. will post pics when im done thanks again for all the advice.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

As a few have said there is nothing wrong with inch over 3/4 either......thats how mine is to fwiw.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Don't forget the copper wire spiral wrap on the inner tube :)

Cross flow condenser

Post by Magic »

Expat wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:54 pm Don't forget the copper wire spiral wrap on the inner tube :)
okay now im curious about the wire on the inner tube is that something i should do ? is it really more effective? and what size wire>?
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

zed255 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:35 pm ...12ga copper wire wound around the 1/2" (to encourage the water to wrap around the vapour tube)...

Solid wire stripped out of normal electrical wire. Wound in a gentle helix ( several times around, not a tight coil or spring) around the vapour tube to make at least some of the cooling water take a longer path and increase dwell time of the cooling water. Some advocate the practise other suggest it doesn't matter. I feel it is helpful, but I have not made any empirical studies to prove my feeling on the matter.
----------
Zed

Magic
Novice

Post by Magic »

zed255 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:23 pm
zed255 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:35 pm ...12ga copper wire wound around the 1/2" (to encourage the water to wrap around the vapour tube)...

Solid wire stripped out of normal electrical wire. Wound in a gentle helix ( several times around, not a tight coil or spring) around the vapour tube to make at least some of the cooling water take a longer path and increase dwell time of the cooling water. Some advocate the practise other suggest it doesn't matter. I feel it is helpful, but I have not made any empirical studies to prove my feeling on the matter.
sounds easy enough ive got wire laying around cant hurt so i guess thats what i will do thanks
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

zed255 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:23 pm

And soldered! :)

Cross flow condenser

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

If you’re worried about capability, just make the Liebig 1” longer and skip the wire wrap. 3/4” over 1/2”, Easy peasy, no need to pet it.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Expat wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:02 pmAnd soldered!
Yup . Best way I found was clamp the wire to the pipe at one end ( vise grips work well) .
Wrap the wire in a spiral keeping it tight against the pipe with a pitch of about 6 - 8” and clamp it at the bottom .

Stand the pipe upright while soldering . Apply the liquid flux to the top and it basically follows the spiral to the bottom . Again start the soldering at the top and it will flow down the spiral to the bottom .

It is important to make sure the wire is tight against the pipe as depending on its thickness , you may have a hell of a job sliding the jacket on otherwise .
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Having watched what happens in a Liebig with a clear water jacket, plus painting them with thermochromic pigment, unless the spiral is an extremely close fit, or the condenser is vertical, the difference in density of hot and cold water is enough to stop the water spiraling the inner unless the flow rate is very high, usually a result of having an undersized condenser. There was a thread about this effect a few years ago.

I reckon it's better to build an oversized condenser than to have to pull every efficiency trick to get away with using a mini condenser, especially if the availability of cooling water is an issue.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Well this is what I saw on a cool winters night on my old liebig .
The condensation patterns show something was happening due to the spiral wrapped wire .
526528C7-42E1-4710-9848-DE9EA9173523.jpeg
Mind you , I’ll happily admit that at the time I was nit aware of temp gradients and just ran the water flat chat .
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Yummyrum wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:06 am Chris , I know you hate posting pics , but man , there is a lot if cool stuff to share iff’n you did . I’m sure you have an art gallery of the stuff .
Sorry to disappoint you, Yummy, but I don't. I've never been one to post pics on social media and much of my stilling gear is built out of what I had in my steel rack, or what I found at the scrappy on the day. I reckon you should build out of what you've got handy, or can get cheaply. What my main still and preheater is built out of cost me bugger all and contains a good percentage of copper, but it would cost you an arm and a leg to duplicate it, which is why I've never posted pics of it for newbies.

I have posted a pic of the top end of a very simple and efficient Liebig design if you can find it.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

NZChris wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:29 am I have posted a pic of the top end of a very simple and efficient Liebig design if you can find it.
I can't find it, so I doubt you will. Very annoying. If I remember, I'll post another pic of it.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

As I recall from my last build, #10 wire was a pretty tight fit, and definitely impacts the water flow. My own observations and the insightful pic Yummy posted above support its inclusion in the build.

Ignoring for a moment the above, at a minimum adding a soldered wire to the inner tube increases the surface area and raises its efficiency, which is well worth the 5 minutes(at most) it takes to add.

Cross flow condenser