Solder and Flux how many how much?

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

tiramisu
Swill Maker

Solder and Flux how many how much?

Post by tiramisu »

Shopping for silver solder and flux for the old keg.
Looking at the harris stay-brite #8 1/16 (6% silver, 94% tin) and stay clean flux.

... and then I looked at the price... lordy....
A pound of solder and 16oz of flux

Given circumference is pi * d

1 - 6" = 6
3 -1.5? = 4.5
1 - 3" = 3
====
13.5 * 3.14 = 42.39 inches of joint to solder

How much solder/flux do I need?

1 pound + 4 oz of flux best price I have found is about $120CAD shipped.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Solder and Flux how many how much?

Post by still_stirrin »

It’s cheaper than GOLD!

A pound of solder is probably 10 times what you’ll need. But a 4oz bottle of flux is good to get, so you’ll have a little on the shelf.

I guess you could pay a welder to weld your joints for you, but that’d probably end up costing more than $120 Canadian. Your choice....
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

I think I paid $60 for 1lb of Harris Stay-Brite 8 and $7 for Sta-Clean liquid flux back in 2017. Three years later, after numerous builds, I am at the end of my rope, er spool of solder. This stuff has been a joy to use, is excellent at what it does, and flat out worth every penny I paid for it. I would recommend it to anyone building their own copper still.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

Twisted Brick wrote:I think I paid $60 for 1lb of Harris Stay-Brite 8 and $7 for Sta-Clean liquid flux back in 2017. Three years later, after numerous builds, I am at the end of my rope, er spool of solder. This stuff has been a joy to use, is excellent at what it does, and flat out worth every penny I paid for it. I would recommend it to anyone building their own copper still.
I payed a little less than that a few months ago before prices went nuts.
Also I totally agree. It is well worth the money.it is excellent solder. I bought it for refrigeration but it was handy for building my liebig this week.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Of I could just work out how to reclaim the stuff that ends up in pools on the floor or the big drips and dribbles that I have to file and sand off , I’d save a fortune . :ebiggrin:

LOL , I had to get a new reel myself last week , I nearly fell over . Last one was about $25 AUD , this one was double @ $50 AUD for a 500g reel .
3C2F0F87-A09F-40BE-80CF-68053D9D4B34.jpeg
3C2F0F87-A09F-40BE-80CF-68053D9D4B34.jpeg (45.98 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Yummyrum wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:40 pm If I could just work out how to reclaim the stuff that ends up in pools on the floor or the big drips and dribbles that I have to file and sand off, I’d save a fortune . :ebiggrin:
+1

It's slightly comforting to hear it happens in all hemispheres!
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

Sounds like the general consensus is "suck it up buttercup".
Thanks guys.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

tiramisu wrote:Sounds like the general consensus is "suck it up buttercup".
Thanks guys.
Buy once cry once. Get the good stuff. Harris stay bright 8.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Since you mention amount in CAD, I'm assuming you're in Canada, and if so, give me a PM, as you can have the rest of the four oz bottle of Harris liquid flux I have, since I have no more use for it.. Superior 71 paste flux is much better flux but it is not available in Canada and they don't ship into Canada..

As to the solder itself, any solder which as some silver in it will do the job.. I've used mainly Bernzomatic plumbing solder and have had no issues with it in all the building I've done over the years, and it's available at CTC for a about 23$ for a pound..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

StillerBoy wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:13 pm Since you mention amount in CAD, I'm assuming you're in Canada, and if so, give me a PM, as you can have the rest of the four oz bottle of Harris liquid flux I have, since I have no more use for it.. Superior 71 paste flux is much better flux but it is not available in Canada and they don't ship into Canada..

As to the solder itself, any solder which as some silver in it will do the job.. I've used mainly Bernzomatic plumbing solder and have had no issues with it in all the building I've done over the years, and it's available at CTC for a about 23$ for a pound..

Mars

Now this is what I like to hear :)

Benzomatic is <1% silver which makes me a little nervous for soldering the ferrule that the column will stack on strength wise.

For anything no load bearing it seems like I could save some money.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I just used about an inch of solder nd a dab of flux on a leaky joint....fixed er right up
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

tiramisu wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:11 am Benzomatic is <1% silver which makes me a little nervous for soldering the ferrule that the column will stack on strength wise.
Sorry you disapprove of the recommendation on the solder..

It has been my go to solder for the past 10 yrs of building unit of all designs, and never had an issue with it.. we are not building tank for the army..

But to each their own.. spend the extra dollar, as it will give you peace of mind..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

StillerBoy wrote:
tiramisu wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:11 am Benzomatic is <1% silver which makes me a little nervous for soldering the ferrule that the column will stack on strength wise.
Sorry you disapprove of the recommendation on the solder..

It has been my go to solder for the past 10 yrs of building unit of all designs, and never had an issue with it.. we are not building tank for the army..

But to each their own.. spend the extra dollar, as it will give you peace of mind..

Mars
I will say that although I really like stay-brite 8 I really liked that one when I used it and i cannot honestly say i can tell a difference. I believe stay-brite 8 is better on paper but it will likely not ever make a difference in the field because workmanship matters a lot more than the solder.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Zeotropic wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:01 pm I believe stay-brite 8 is better on paper but it will likely not ever make a difference in the field because workmanship matters a lot more than the solder.
I agree Zeo .
The lead free solder I use only contains Tin and Copper . AFAIK it contains no silver at all . Yet it is strong as anything .

For anything no load bearing it seems like I could save some money.
I’be used it for years and never had a single joint fail due to the solder not being strong enough . It solders copper and Stainless no worries .
Check out the 2” ferule on the bottom of my 4” reflux still . Its lead free soft soldered on with no silver . Imagine the leverage on that joint . Incidentally I brace that still to the roof , but I have no fear of that joint ( or any others on that still) braking while I’m setting up .
044918EE-C241-40EC-8E2D-5537A2C90A10.jpeg
044918EE-C241-40EC-8E2D-5537A2C90A10.jpeg (42.8 KiB) Viewed 1245 times

I would generously accept Mars offer :thumbup:
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

Hmmm. I appear to stand/sit corrected .

I had assumed the recommendation for silver based solder was built on failures with the cheaper nonleaded solder rather than a desire to build a tank.

I did not think that standard plumbing solder ala benzomatic was going to have the shearing strength required to support even a 5 foot 3" column.

That picture gives me reason to pause and do some more reading on the materials and joining.

Thanks.
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

I think the main appeal to silver bearing alloys it they can wet and flow a joint a little easier, especially to stainless, and not any major strength difference. Regular lead free solders work just fine given a good flux and joint preparation.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.