csst verse copper wound coil

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Magic
Novice

csst verse copper wound coil

Post by Magic »

im building a modular ccvm to convert from pot to reflux with triclover clamps to share the liebig, but was wondering for the rc what the pros and cons of using 3/8 od to wind in double helix or to use a csst flex pipe to knock down the vapors. i would appreciate any thoughts.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: csst verse copper wound coil

Post by acfixer69 »

First tell us what the column is made of then what you stuffing in it.
Magic
Novice

Post by Magic »

acfixer69 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:19 pm First tell us what the column is made of then what you stuffing in it.
it is a 2inch copper pipe 48 inches long i will be stuffing copper scrubbers
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I doubt you will wind a double helix out of 3/8” for a 2” column . 1/4” is better suited .

With a CCVM , you need to be able to move the RC up and down , but it must stay where you put it . Consensus would favour CSST with interwound scrubbers as a simple solution . If you use a copper coil , you have to wedge it or put chocks between coils to hold it in place .
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Yummyrum wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:18 pm I doubt you will wind a double helix out of 3/8” for a 2” column . 1/4” is better suited .

With a CCVM , you need to be able to move the RC up and down , but it must stay where you put it . Consensus would favour CSST with interwound scrubbers as a simple solution . If you use a copper coil , you have to wedge it or put chocks between coils to hold it in place .
I've not found this to be true. My copper wound coil fits snugly through the SS ferrule and stays in place. It all depends on the diameter you wind it I guess.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
tomtom
Novice

Post by tomtom »

I've not found this to be true. My copper wound coil fits snugly through the SS ferrule and stays in place. It all depends on the diameter you wind it I guess.
[/quote]

Hi , what size , power of pump do you use to pump water through your condenser
Thanks
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

A 3/8 tube is a bad choice in my opinion: I don't think you would be able to wrap it, even if the column were bigger. Do not go larger than 1/4 for a 2 inch column if you choose copper, while if you choose ctss you cannot spiral but you have to perform a "twisted" shape, I saw a post here on the forum with photos. Both will work, ctss is used because it is easy to mold (if you have enough space) and offers a good contact surface. Mine is made with a mixture of ctss and copper because I used some "scrap" I had.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

tomtom wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:28 am I've not found this to be true. My copper wound coil fits snugly through the SS ferrule and stays in place. It all depends on the diameter you wind it I guess.

Hi , what size , power of pump do you use to pump water through your condenser
Thanks
[/quote]

I dont recycle water. I run from the tap.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Magic
Novice

Post by Magic »

well i said 3/8 od which is 1/4 id i think its what everyone is using sure i can wrap it. i will be using a pump that is usually used for recuriculating hot water from a water heater in a residential home, just wasn't sure if copper was better or worse for the application both about the same expense. just wanted pros and cons of the two
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

This is my 1/4" (od) copper coil. It slided through the ferrules between the extension and the take off T with some friction. It's plenty efficient for a 2" column. For a 3 inch, I'd suggest CCST or a double helix wound copper coil.
signal-2021-01-16-104457.jpg
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Deplorable wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:42 pm This is my 1/4" (od) copper coil. It slided through the ferrules between the extension and the take off T with some friction. It's plenty efficient for a 2" column. For a 3 inch, I'd suggest CCST or a double helix wound copper coil.
Deplorable do you run two separate water pumps
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

3/8 double coil will not fit a 2" but a single coil of 3/8 will fit and work as well as a double 1/4 with less back pressure.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
boomstick
Novice

Post by boomstick »

Yummyrum wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:18 pm Consensus would favour CSST with interwound scrubbers as a simple solution . If you use a copper coil , you have to wedge it or put chocks between coils to hold it in place .
I'm using a copper double helix with some scrubbers jammed in it stays in place beautifully.
Magic
Novice

Post by Magic »

Durhommer wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:59 am
Deplorable wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:42 pm This is my 1/4" (od) copper coil. It slided through the ferrules between the extension and the take off T with some friction. It's plenty efficient for a 2" column. For a 3 inch, I'd suggest CCST or a double helix wound copper coil.
that was ny thought will one pump ran through liebig then to rc using 1/4 inch copper be enough flow in the liebig
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Based on the few experiments I've done.
It would seem, stuffing copper mesh around the coils decreases the knock done power.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Durhommer wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:59 am
No. I run two separate gate valves off a pressure regulated water manifold from my garden hose and waste the cooling water.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

shadylane wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:55 pm Based on the few experiments I've done.
It would seem, stuffing copper mesh around the coils decreases the knock done power.
Interesting. I'll try my next run without it. Only have one run so far.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Deplorable wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:42 pm
shadylane wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:55 pm Based on the few experiments I've done.
Interesting. I'll try my next run without it. Only have one run so far.
Hows it doi g reflux? What proof did you get
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

93% on 35 inches of packed copper mesh. 6 gallons of feints diluted to 35%. Not to bad for a first attempt.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Would you mind a run down of your process
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Durhommer wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:01 pm Would you mind a run down of your process
Pm sent
Aitch1969
Novice

Post by Aitch1969 »

Setsumi wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:42 am 3/8 double coil will not fit a 2" but a single coil of 3/8 will fit and work as well as a double 1/4 with less back pressure.

As this is a ccvm I don't think back pressure is an issue
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

The back pressure spoken of is through the coil, I think
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Aitch1969 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:01 am
Setsumi wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:42 am 3/8 double coil will not fit a 2" but a single coil of 3/8 will fit and work as well as a double 1/4 with less back pressure.

back pressure of cooling water through the RF coil is a problem in recirculation systems where a pump is used to circulate the cooling water. the back pressure increase the negative of lift and speed of circulation.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Aitch1969
Novice

Post by Aitch1969 »

Setsumi wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:36 am
Aitch1969 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:01 am

back pressure of cooling water through the RF coil is a problem in recirculation systems where a pump is used to circulate the cooling water. the back pressure increase the negative of lift and speed of circulation.
My apologies thought you were referring to back pressure within the column... stupid me