Old Grump build

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Ol Grump
Novice

Old Grump build

Post by Ol Grump »

Hey all,

I promised to do a thread on my build. Here is the start and as I figure things out how to post I will.

Its an inverted keg, but I added 3 additional 2" ports. Topside has a 4" center for the main and a 6" off set for loading and cleaning. Heat source is outside, that combines heating and circulation. Cooling will be done via a standard water fountain that circulates in a 15 or 20gal drum. The mash circulated through a 50cal ammo can with oil or water (still testing) with 20' of copper pipe. Pimp should do 1 compete circut in 2 or 3 min. Mash circulated via pump into 3 venturi mixers. Some sites call educators. Those are plastic, im keeping SS and copper. I know, clear as mud. I use a deep fryer heat source large heat sink. In theory, it should heat faster than elements in a tank. Could be wrong, donno. Pics to come...
Ol Grump
Novice

Old Grump build

Post by Ol Grump »

Still working on how to post a pic. Photobucket won't let me.

Anyway

Inverted keg design, 4" center and a 6" port. Made a helmet from 2 SS 1 gallon water pails. 2" at the top set on the side. I plan using copper mesh to line the helmet, and additional copper in the boiler. Helmet can go into a flute or condenser. Boiler heated by circulating the wash through a heat exchanger. 5 gallons of oil or water as the heat mass. Travel tubing is .5" copper 20' linier distance. That flowes to 3 copper venturi mixers that i call a jeffries tube (star trek original series set designer). The center bung on the bottom is the supply for the re cerc pump, or a secondary heating element. I will experiment and see what works best. Goal is a steady fast heat and be controlled. The condenser is a 12 gallon tank with 30' of copper tubing inside as a coil. Water chilled via circulating through a water fountain system. Its a working experiment. I didn't want open flame or scorching heat for the boiler. Theory says it should heat faster than using a static fluid system.
cob
Master of Distillation

Re: Old Grump build

Post by cob »

Please don't host your photos on photobucket they will ghost sooner or later. don't ask me how I know. :evil:

Host them here on HD. sorry I don't have a link to instructions for hosting here.

It can't be that hard I figgered it out once. :shock:
be water my friend
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Whoo 30’ of condenser coil is ridiculously long .

4-6’ should be ample for most sized boilers and power sources either electric or gas that we might use in home distilling .
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

Thinking similarly to yummy, 30' of copper in you coil is huge. I built a double layer coil with a cold finger that has a total of about 14' of tubing to fit in a 3" shell and is about 12" long. The top half of the coil has as near as I can tell never been wetted with distillate with only the lowest 1/3 seeing regular action. Granted, there ain't no kill like overkill, but more than double what I am using? That is terminating with extreme prejudice.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Ol Grump
Novice

Post by Ol Grump »

Sorry, that should have read 13' 😁 3' of 1/2" and 10' of 3/8
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Grump photos are easy.
Hit the red " post reply" button.
Then " attachments"