Berserk's 3x3" bubble plate build

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Berserk
Bootlegger

Berserk's 3x3" bubble plate build

Post by Berserk »

Hey there,

This build has been in the works for some time. I picked up a meter of 3" on the cheap a few years ago, and finally got around to buying some fittings.
I intended to make it a 4-plater at first, but somewhere between the UK and Scandinavia one of the 3" tri clamp kits fell off the truck so I only had enough for 3 plates.

Once I got the fittings I quickly ran into the somewhat common problem of my 3" pipe having the exact same ID and OD as the trip clamp ferrule. I found some solutions here on the forums that I tried:
* Anneal the pipe and flare it a bit, grind a bevel into the ferrule and stick it in the freezer then bash that sumbitch right into the pipe - Nope. I managed to flare the pipe, but it would budge when I tried to wack the ferrule in there.
* Use a muffler/exhaust expander to widen the pipe after annealing - Nope. My 100% forged steel cast Chinesium expanders broke on the first try. I didn't even use power tools, just hand tools.

So I had to improvise. I opted to use some 0.5mm copper sheet I had lying around as some sort of sleeve or girdle around the pipe and ferrule which was sat butt to butt. This worked out surprisingly well, but looks pretty shit. I'm not proud of the soldering, but it doesn't leak.
20210223_174655.jpg
20210223_174714.jpg

Worthy to note is that I live in a small apartment and don't have a huge workshop. I've got some power tools but no vices, drill presses or similar tools. The hole I holesawed got slighty too big, so I had some gaps that needed to be filled. More copper sheet to the rescue!

I'm making my own bubble caps, it's 22mm pipe cut and soldered to caps. I'm using... reinforcement thingies for compression fittings as risers, since they have a neat little rim build in already. They're 16mm OD. The downcomer is a 22mm pipe with a sleeve and a 28mm cap as cup.

452257.jpg
20210223_174816.jpg

So far I've made one module, so I need to make another one and another two plates. I'm very excited to try it out once it's finished. I've got both a CM head and a CCVM head, it will be interesting to test them both on the plates and see which one I prefer.
Cheers,
Berserk

He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind.
But he who sticks out in darkness is fluorescent!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Berserk's 3x3" bubble plate build

Post by Deplorable »

That solder may be unsightly, but it's nothing you can't clean up with a file and some time. Nice work. I'm sure each peice will get progressively better looking.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Nice work, Berserk. Yours shows the ingenuity every stiller seems to draw on one time or another during a build. Putting an advanced piece of equipment together with minimal tools also shows the patience that should certainly carry over into your spirits.

Twisted
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Looking good Berserk .
The prettiest copper stills made have runs and dribbles of solder after soldering . A few minutes on each joint with a file and some sand paper and the roughest soldering job will look like a pro job .

I like your copper coupling work a round .
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Continue this way, I don't see anything wrong with what you do, I too often build with few resources! I also like people who build things ....
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

I getting to where I like the rugged look of the solder warts. I don’t file near as much as I used to.
Berserk
Bootlegger

Post by Berserk »

Thanks for the nice words guys, it's really appreciated. And for the good tips, I'll go over it with a file and sandpaper and see how it turns out!

I've always been a tinkerer and one of my favorite things with this hobby is the possibility for constant upgrades. I probably spend >50% of my hobby time building and manufacturing new parts for my still. It's just such a great feeling when testing a new part and it actually works.

Reading the build threads on here delivers a never ending stream of new things to build too. Even though I only run 2400W in the boiler I'm definitely going to build a shotgun at some point just because they seem fun and intricate to build. A whiskey helmet/onion also looks slick, and I already have a copper bowl and copper cone lying around from an earlier project that could be utilized.

But first, this bubble plate column!

Here's a closer look at the bubble cap and riser, in case someone was interested in the inner workings of it. Quite standard stuff.
You can clearly see the lip on the riser that keep it locked in the plate. It's very practical.
20210224_160956_resize.jpg
I can't seem to figure out what the part the riser is made out of is called in english. It's a small copper thingy that braces/reinforces the insides of pipes that are to be fitted with compression fittings.
Cheers,
Berserk

Berserk
Bootlegger

Post by Berserk »

After a long session yesterday (and some long and boring work meetings online ;) ) it's finally finished!

Here it is! Albeit without reflux condenser in the photo.
Untitled-1.jpg

Here's a closer look at the plates.
20210314_200026.jpg
The downcomer cups might be a bit too large, but I figured I can always just cut bigger slots in them if that is the case.

I'm happy with how it looks, next up is finding out how it runs during the cleaning runs. I also need to decide if I should run it with a dephlagmator a la classic flute, or with a CCVM head. I'm leaning towards CM since I intend to mainly run flavored stuff (rum, maybe some whiskey), and there's loads of info on how to run a classic flute.
Cheers,
Berserk

frostbite
Novice

Post by frostbite »

Looks great!
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Berserk wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:20 pm I also need to decide if I should run it with a dephlagmator a la classic flute, or with a CCVM head. I'm leaning towards CM since I intend to mainly run flavored stuff (rum, maybe some whiskey), and there's loads of info on how to run a classic flute.
I run CCVM on my twin flutes. i doubt that it makes a differens to the flavour of my product. yes a CCVM on a packed column is associated with neutral but a flute with plates does a good job to retain flavours regardless of reflux head.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

+1 setsumi
Not CCVM , but I run VM on my plated Rum still and it runs better than it did on CM .

I would endorse a VM or CCVM over CM on a plated still any day .
Berserk
Bootlegger

Post by Berserk »

Thanks for the helpful feedback Setsumi and Yummy. I initially planned to try it out with the CM and then the CCVM further down the road but you made me reconsider!

I intend to mainly use it to make rum. The first run will be a new rum wash mixed with a failed light rum that became too light, almost vodkaish. When I ran the light rum I used my CCVM head and my packed column. I probably used to much packing (1.2m of lava rock...), but even when I had the CCVM fully open it still produced 94-95%, which is why I'm a bit hesitant to use it with my plates. I do like the responsiveness of the CCVM though, and switching it out mid run if it misbehaves should be quite simple.

I'll probably go with the CCVM to start off. Thanks guys, I value your opinions.
Cheers,
Berserk