Have I made my self a toxic still pot?

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

T-dog
Novice

Have I made my self a toxic still pot?

Post by T-dog »

Hi, everyone.

The case is that I have already made my first batch on my home welded still. The spirits seems to be really good, but a friend told me about some guys that got metal poisoning from some home welded equipment, and now I'm afraid to drink my product.

This is what I've done:

- Soldered a copper condenser with silver solder.
- Welded a SS column on to a SS kettle lid. (All 316l)

I've used an electrode/stick welding machine and a SS 316 stick, and the job doesn't look so good. The inside is slightly black-ish, but I've sanded it good an washed it.

So, is it possible that there are poisones substances coming from my poor weld, and that I should drain my batch down the toilet?

I'm grateful for any suggestions and thoughts.

Regards Thomas.
Setsumi
Distiller

Re: Have I made my self a toxic still pot?

Post by Setsumi »

myself have arc welds in my columns. yes it is not as clean as tig or mic... it does not rust and it is clean. you can pacify your weld with citric acid.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

We always recommend a vinegar run followed immediately with a rinse to stop the vinegar corroding the still . Then we recommend you run your first alcohol run through it and dump it . It is called a sacrificial run . The vinegar will clean out most of the residue from the construction and the solvents in the alcohol run will dissolve anything left .
Thereafter , your still should be safe to use
T-dog
Novice

Post by T-dog »

Ok. I'll go ahead and run the still with som vinegar and then do this sacrificial run.

Thanks for reply 🙂