antique still

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Op61
Novice

antique still

Post by Op61 »

bought in antique shop $75, am going to put a thermometer in lower section , how far up from bottom, i need to make a worm, any input greatly appreciated
20210509_160006.jpg
20210509_160024.jpg
Mashable
Novice

Re: antique still

Post by Mashable »

Get a lead test kit and verify the solder joints are lead free, very common for the old stills to use a lead containing solder. I would do that before investing any time or money into anything else on it. Otherwise, very cool find.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Is it really a great idea to ruin an antique by drilling a hole in the side and putting a thermometer there. Do you think that there is a reason that the previous owners / builder didn't put one in it ? Building a product condenser for it would be time and money better spent.
As Mashable has pointed out you wont want to run it at all if it was built using lead solder.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

If that is truly an antique the chances that they used lead solder is almost 100%.
You do not want to distill with anything that has lead solder!
A thermometer on the boiler is not needed and pretty useless.
I would keep it for decoration and get myself a keg :D :D
I actually would love to have that. I would build a exposed worm, put a pump inside it and make it a super cool water feature in my back yard.
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
ezlle71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ezlle71 »

Pretty cool looking old still. I was gifted one myself last fall. More than likely it's assembled with lead solder. Which is a nogo for actual use. Set it up as a display in your house.
Don't let your meat loaf.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Too bad the worm wasn’t with it as it will be obvious that it isn’t original. I have a cousin with a similar still he uses as suggestion a display.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

That would make a kick ass water feature in the back yard under my shade trees.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

Post by IMALOSERSCUMBAG »

Not sure I would use it. I can guarantee I would buy some cheap ketchup and shine that thing up and put it on display in the garage. Best $75 piece of art ever.
Winnipeg204
Novice

Post by Winnipeg204 »

Someone listed their grampas old still that looked similiar to that near here. I told him I would buy it if I could lead test it first. He told me sure, and he was 99.9% sure that it was lead free. I tested it, it was full of lead.
opus345
Novice

Post by opus345 »

If that still could talk....
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

Assuming you can't use it and you want a worm to match. Backset will age copper pretty quick.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
Op61
Novice

Post by Op61 »

thanks for info will test it, if lead solder will give to my buddy who owns a liquor store for display, ill make him a worm and will age it as suggested
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Op61 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:24 pm thanks for info will test it, if lead solder will give to my buddy who owns a liquor store for display, ill make him a worm and will age it as suggested
Good intentions, but be sure it is legal to own a still where your buddy operates his store.

In some places possession of a still for any reason is illegal. Don't get your buddy busted.
be water my friend
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

They’ve got a cute shiny little alembic and worm on display down the likker store over here on the Tito’s endcap all branded up w/Tito’s swag - as if it were made in a pot still lol.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

cob wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:50 pm
Op61 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:24 pm thanks for info will test it, if lead solder will give to my buddy who owns a liquor store for display, ill make him a worm and will age it as suggested
Good intentions, but be sure it is legal to own a still where your buddy operates his store.

In some places possession of a still for any reason is illegal. Don't get your buddy busted.
Could the local museum or historical society own it, with the permission of the authorities (perhaps with a non-visible hole in the bottom so it can't work) and loan it to your mate for display??
Maybe...

Geoff
The Baker
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Ole boys put more than one bottom in kettles that been sold at auction or just wore out You buyin one hold it up an look at the sun . Seen folks put screws puddle solder an lose there hole charge. Ain't much call for bottoms no more.

So I'm tole
Op61
Novice

Post by Op61 »

will check laws here about using as display , solder tested for lead, i am now researching buying new still.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

So it's lead positive then?
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Op61
Novice

Post by Op61 »

yes sad to say lead positive
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

How bad you want that thang. Look at the joints where is they. They outside ain't no problem inside then set your mind to workin. Mostly they machine made. Double seam.
Get your logger head cherry red and take it a part.

So I'm tole