Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

easy(ier) way to use flour paste

Post by Fredistiller »

Hi everyone!

As I use flour paste to seal my still ( lid and connections) I was looking for a fast and easy way to make, spread and clean it. After some trials and error, I significantly reduce my time and effort.

I'll share my method for those who are interested:

1: use 1 Tbsp flour for 1 Tbsp water. Mix everything in a bowl with a teaspoon, and then install your set up so the flour can "have a rest".
I prefer tu use cheap wheat pastry flour, it makes less lumps, is sticky enough and cleans easier than other flours I tried.
Webp.net-resizeimage(6).jpg
2: With the teaspoon scoop the paste into a syringe (large enough for the teaspoon, and with an opening of 2-3mm).
Webp.net-resizeimage(7).jpg
3: With the syringe, spread the paste on your connections.
Webp.net-resizeimage(5).jpg
Done!

This method use the right quantity of paste you need. It never failed me.

To clean up, I wet the dried paste and scrape with a short piece of copper pipe smashed on one side and grind a little bit to sharpen it. Copper is strong enough but won't make scratches on your stainless steel.
Webp.net-resizeimage(8).jpg
Hope I could help some fellow distillers to win time and effort!

Fred.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: easy(ier) way to use flour paste

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Nice! I use regular flour that I found in the pantry - maybe one or two teaspoons and a bit of olive oil - then water and additional flour mixed in till it's a dough like consistency... Roll out little pieces till they're maybe a few inches long and apply to the rim of the boiler... They stick to the copper very well enough and after a few times I figured out less is better for cleanup so I make them pretty narrow... No leaks to seal after the fact and it hardens / seals very well after heat-up... Cleans up perfect with some water too! I was going to do the syringe method too but this ended up working well enough on my system to not bother with anything else.

Cheers,
jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

You should try the syringe method! It's a lot faster than rolling small pieces into your fingers.
What's actually the purpose of the olive oil you use?
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Not sure exactly - I read it on here and tried it. It rolls into nice little dough strips - Not messy at all and just takes a few minutes. The olive oil makes me feel better about it as a gasket / seal but maybe it's not needed..?... In my case I'm joining a copper alembic top and split column which are pressure fit into the receiving pieces (column and boiler). I'll take some pics next time and share. This isn't two flat pieces pressed together so that might make a difference.

Cheers!
-j
————
————
BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

I use regular flour water paste, to connect the lid to the boiler, Mix mine up to the constancy of a noodle before cooking. Have to agree with Jonny's_spirit less is better...

I coat both mating surfaces with a bit of shortening (Crisco) when it comes time to remove, the stuff comes right off.

I've also had times where I've had to shut down the still and come back a couple days later. double checked the clamps and fired things back up... Stayed sealed and finished out the run.

I like the ingenuity Freddistiller, Thanks for sharing that bit of insight. :)
Most questions can be answered here http://homedistiller.org/ and here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

The one who cuts the firewood gets twice the warmth
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

BlackStrap wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:52 pm Have to agree with Jonny's_spirit less is better...
This is the main reason why I use the syringe. Okay it's fast but it brings just what you need where you need it. (This sentence sounds like a bad commercial :D ). So there is less to clean up also.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I don't have a syringe, so I put it in a small snaplock bag, cut a corner off to the size I want and use it like a piping bag. I make enough for at least a couple of runs, fold the corner over, peg it, and put it in the fridge or freezer until the next run.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I think it's not a bad idea and I think many have already experimented with it in the past but I have some things to point out: you have to make a very liquid dough and I don't like this, also you will have the syringe to clean (very annoying inside)
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

Demy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:22 am I think it's not a bad idea and I think many have already experimented with it in the past but I have some things to point out: you have to make a very liquid dough and I don't like this, also you will have the syringe to clean (very annoying inside)
With a large syringe the opening is wide enough to make a dough that is not very liquid (look at the pic), just hard enough to be a good seal. A bit like tooth paste. I never had any issue.
Cleaning the syringe is no a problem at all. Just vacuum water inside and let it sit for a moment. Give a good rinse and let it dry on your lid. Nothing annoying. (At least with the flour I use)
Last edited by Fredistiller on Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

I have been using these for years. The hole is less than 1/32" but You can cut them to dispense larger beads.

I have only found this style in 12cc.
be water my friend
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Here’s some snaps with a thicker more doughy paste sealing an alembic for comparison. No mess and easy cleanup. The EVOO helps it form into a dough and seal on this kind of fitting.

Cheers!
J
60B99095-38A3-4824-A0B0-5FC25386E1B8.jpeg
500E1B8D-4EFD-427A-AEC2-BBB040CFFA97.jpeg
636D66BB-90B5-463A-9754-326D20FEB5EE.jpeg
AB01E790-B14B-4A55-9C29-9BC5CAE13EF9.jpeg
C45D2A0D-6859-46C5-B7C3-01F0F1709AE0.jpeg
————
————
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

myself use brown bread kneed into a thick past. if it drops into your boiler it will float and boil into froth. nothing to scorch.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Wozza
Bootlegger

Post by Wozza »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:28 pm Not sure exactly - I read it on here and tried it. It rolls into nice little dough strips - Not messy at all and just takes a few minutes. The olive oil makes me feel better about it as a gasket / seal but maybe it's not needed..?... In my case I'm joining a copper alembic top and split column which are pressure fit into the receiving pieces (column and boiler). I'll take some pics next time and share. This isn't two flat pieces pressed together so that might make a difference.

Cheers!
-j
Because of the shape of the lid and how it fits onto the boiler, I use this method as well. Normal flour and 2:1 ratio with water (60g:30g). Mix for 3 or 4 mins so it's like pizza dough and then roll to pencil thin and it fits nicely into the rolled lip of the lid. Seals perfectly with three plastic clips holding the lid down.

Most of it pulls off when I take the lid off and if I wet what's left immediately then it comes off quite easily. Might need to scrape some off and the remainder I clean with a scourer.

Might try that idea from @BlackStrap and run some oil around the lip to see if that makes cleaning easier.