Small portable still idea

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SV-Distiller
Novice

Small portable still idea

Post by SV-Distiller »

Hello all,

I am looking to build a small "portable" still that can be broken down for stowage. We live on a sailboat and will be taking off on a circumnavigation in the next 6 months.

First off we like to drink Vodka, Gin, and Rum. So we are looking to make mainly neutral spirits using recipes that use easy to source local supplies. Birdwatchers, TFFV and basic sugar wash.

I was given an AirStill but looking for something a little larger scale batches. I have been reading/researching and I feel that the normal T500 or Digiboil Alcoengine other sailors have used may not be the “best” option.

My “design” is "based" off Otis' and Bunny's mini/small designs but the idea is to use readily available 2" tri clamp parts so it can be taken apart for storage/transport. The philosophy of my design is to use ready/easy to find parts because stuff always breaks on a boat. A design that can be broken down into smaller parts for storage on the boat and not stand out. Most parts will be stainless with some copper packing.

We will be making smaller batches of wash using 5–7 gallon buckets. Again, easy to store while under way and smaller batches don’t take as long to ferment/process. We may only be in an area for a week or two before moving on (may only be a day or two also but don’t plan on setting up the still during those stays.)

Boiler will be made from a used 1/6 or slim 1/4-barrel keg with a 4” or 6” ferrule welded to the top to make cleaning easier and be able to store still parts/supplies inside while under way. I plan on insulate the boiler also. An old wet suit may get upcycled.

I plan to use a 1500-watt element with a 2” ferrule welded to the bottom side like Otis’ and Bunny’s design. Don’t think I need a second/bigger element based on Otis’ and Bunny’s posts. I could add a second element higher up or an external band heater.

I will be using SSR40VR to control the power.

2” by 24” column made from two 12” long spools. Packed with copper scrubbers/mesh during reflux.

Here is where I am not sure of the right direction to go with the reflux stage. A CCVM or a shotgun dephlegmator with 2-90’s. I am leaning towards a dephlegmator but still open to suggestions.

A 12” shotgun condenser. Cooling water will be from our 150 gallon fresh water tank. We plan on dump the “heated” water back into the fresh water tank due to our limited supplies. The water temp is normally close to 70-80 degrees. I could use a small ice bath also but ice on a sailboat is used in the drinks.

May add a sight glass to “see” the reflux and a gin/flavor basket made from a 6” spool section and a SS screen basket like Otis’ gin design. I can then move the “flavor” spool around in the design, above or below the dephlegmator or just above the product condenser. Again, modular design.

I am looking for any input some people may have on this design. Is 2” too big for 5 gallons and 1500 watts?

Thanks

Captain Ron (Really my name is Ron and I am a captain)
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Small portable still idea

Post by still_stirrin »

Cap’n,

Have a look at my stock pot ginstill build linked in my signature. There is also a hotplate build link there too. The result is a “portable/mobile” system per your requirements.

Easy to build if you’ve got a little skill at building.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I have very small boilers constructed essentially with stainless pans, the heat source is an electric plate with a SCR regulator. It is easily constructable. My biggest boiler is 25 liters (my self-contained steam jacket) but everything is removable and placed in the shelf. You must keep in mind that small quantities often have slightly different rules, especially the cuts.
miletwo
Novice

Post by miletwo »

Pretty much exactly what I was going for when I designed my still, which I just completed construction and first real run on. I use the same hot plate as SS and working on converting to run off SCR instead of the thermo well. https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 32&t=83883

All of the components fit together with tri-clamps and packed away into the boil kettle for storage it takes up very little space.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
miletwo
Novice

Post by miletwo »

LWTCS wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:39 am Dunno if you've seen this yet?
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8439
That little thing is super cool!
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

having only one jurisdiction to deal with I've never had to deal with the thought of

spending time in a turkish prison. There are customs at every port of call. got a plan?
be water my friend
SV-Distiller
Novice

Post by SV-Distiller »

cob wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:21 pm having only one jurisdiction to deal with I've never had to deal with the thought of

spending time in a turkish prison. There are customs at every port of call. got a plan?
Yes but most customs do not come on board and do full inspections for small private sailing vessels. There are only a handful of countries that do on board inspections. And they are not deep inspections unlike commercial ships.

These simple inspections are why I am looking to have a still that breaks down into smaller parts.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

SV-Distiller wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:50 pmThese simple inspections are why I am looking to have a still that breaks down into smaller parts.
So, a “modified keg” boiler is hard to disguise. But, a stock pot boiler can be used to boil spaghetti, ie - quite benign in the cupboard. And copper bits are easy to stash in a box in the closet. Plus, a hotplate is a cooking utensil as well.

I’d really consider a system like my stock pot ginstill/potstill and hotplate combination.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

SV-Distiller wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:50 pm
cob wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:21 pm having only one jurisdiction to deal with I've never had to deal with the thought of

Yes but most customs do not come on board and do full inspections for small private sailing vessels. There are only a handful of countries that do on board inspections. And they are not deep inspections unlike commercial ships.

These simple inspections are why I am looking to have a still that breaks down into smaller parts.
I will assume that you are not aging and not moving stuff with no tax stamp from somewhere? Maybe a non issue but seems reckless to me, stashing enough bought stuff from the port of call to the next would be a better game plan.