Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

tiramisu
Swill Maker

This will make you laugh

Post by tiramisu »

20211015_234045.jpg
Who feels me?

I'm 50/50 that this Chinesium 180mm bimetal hole saw is even going to scratch stainless. side bets? :thumbdown: :thumbup:
I've got a 41mm Tungsten Carbide Tipped Holesaw in transit and a dremel (god help me if this doesn't work)

Stay-Silv #8 and Stay-Clean liquid on backorder.

I may give up this insanity at any second and just hire a professional welder with tig experience.
Would definitely be cheap, stronger and look better.... But I'm stupid so I want to give it a try.
If the solder doesn't work out I may be buying a hundred-dollar Chinese stick welder and try brazing it.
20210401_215307[1].jpg
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Re: This will make you laugh

Post by Twisted Brick »

tiramisu wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:50 pm
I may give up this insanity at any second and just hire a professional welder with tig experience.
You will be glad you did. Knowing how much weight my 3" copper CCVM still adds, I had a TIG welder who works on pressure vessels do the work and have never looked back.
Keg Weld - Top Ferrule.jpg
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
MihiT
Bootlegger

Post by MihiT »

tiramisu wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:50 pm be buying a hundred-dollar Chinese stick welder and try brazing it.
A stick welder does not braze.

And a chinese-anything would be the most frustrating way to learn, anything.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I'm 50/50 that this 180mm bimetal hole saw is even going to scratch stainless. side bets?
Don't know if it will work.
But I'd try, low RPM, high pressure and lube.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

shadylane wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:45 am
I'm 50/50 that this 180mm bimetal hole saw is even going to scratch stainless. side bets?
Don't know if it will work.
But I'd try, low RPM, high pressure and lube.
:thumbup:
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Slow.
Water displaces heat better than oil will.

If possible, use some rope caulk around your drilling area to make a small reservoir. Fill with water and and watch how nicely the bit responds.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Use tap magic, its water soluble, and makes stainless cut easy. Few drops on the bit, when it starts to smoke add more to the bit and the cut path. Water isn't good at clearing chips, and does nothing to prevent work hardening. Here's the thing; if you go at it dry, the stainless will work harden, then destroy your hole saw, when that happens all the crap that comes off your hole saw is going to impregnate itself into the SS and your going to have rust spots forever, or you are going to have to grind out all that crap, making your hole bigger. So use a quality cutting oil. The good news is once you get a score mark in with that thing you will have a good line to follow with your angle grinder and cutoff wheels :)

But seriously, find a welder. If you are in Colorado I can do it for you, plasma cutter works good on kegs, TIG makes something pretty that will last for the life of the pot. Have them weld on all of your keg fittings, then never worry about a leak.
1016210857.jpg
:)
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Larry might have cut a hole or two in stainless......reckon id try his method.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

A few holes will be able to do it but quickly lose your teeth. My advice: continuous cooling (water or better water + alcohol,) low rotation speed, stop often and rubs a bit of oil in the teeth. For welding the maximum would be TIG (I don't have it) or flame brazing. In reality or welded with a common electrode inverter (not for food tanks) but requires stainless steel electrode and a high thickness of the materials.