Moderator: Site Moderator

hatfieldd
Novice

First build

Post by hatfieldd »

Building my first still.
I plan to start with a Keg.
After that I have no Idea what next.
I want something that will produce good flavor and in an efficient amount of time.
I want something that is modular that can change as I grow.
I feel as stainless might be my best choice.
If this is out of place Im sorry Delete
Recommendations please
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: First build

Post by Yummyrum »

All stills need copper somewhere in them …. It removes sulphides and therefore produces better tasting spirit .Either full copper construction or even stuffing copper mesh inside SS sections will do it .

Do you intend to fabricate yourself or just buy bits and pieces ? Unless you are a TIG welder , then building with copper will be a lot easier if you wish to have a go yourself .

A Pot still is always a great way to start . It can be used ti make flavoured spirit and as a stripping still if you want to add a reflux still to your collection for making Vodka or Nuetral spirits .

Be aware that when running a Pot still , to make good spirit you need to run it slowly , so expect a days work .

If you want to speed things up a bit , then consider the plated stills . They make good tasting spirit a lot quicker .
Having said that , you’ll find a lot of fellas that got plated stills have gone back to the slow old Pot still as they prefer the fuller flavour .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Great advice from Yummy.....all points that I was going to make.
Copper is easy and forgiving to work with......copper stills are the bees knees :thumbup:
Stainless looks shiny and blingy but is :thumbdown: imo.
A keg boiler is a great start, it can be as simple as a standard keg sitting on a gas ring....it doesn't need to have lots of expensive modifications.
People these days seem to think a keg boiler needs all the fancy bits which is just not true, it just adds cost to starting out in the hobby. You can add the bling later as you feel the need.
Take your time deciding on the still you need to make the spirit you want to make, lots of build threads on the forum to give you ideas and to help you choose.
Lastly don't rush....more thought and research now will save you time ,money and frustration in the future.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I don't have anything to add to what's been said, other than if you dont have a hook up on TiG welding, 13-16 gallon milk cans are a competitive option price wise. All the "fancy bits" will clamp right on.
That being said, if I had affordable TiG welder services close, I'd have built a keg over my milk can. By the time I priced out what I wanted, the work drove the cost of the keg boiler right up there with a 13 gallon milk can.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Having a keg boiler I would say that if you go electric, make sure that you get your element as low as possible. Even to the extent of putting the port in the bottom of the keg and bending the element. Also, plan a drain port from the start. A large filling port is nice, but you can always fill through the original valve port, but tipping and flipping a full keg gets old really quickly!
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers