New Room Buildout - need help

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MSP
Novice

New Room Buildout - need help

Post by MSP »

So, I think I got plenty of room but my organization is horrible, and not sure where to start especially since the room will house everything from still equipment, work from home setup, and act as a tool shed. The room I use is 16x9, about 5x5 of that is my work from home space. I've got a good amount of shelving but it's basically just thrown on the shelf, there's definitely wasted space with tools mixed in with brewing, still, etc. How do you all organize the small things, still gear, tools, and maximize your space?
Bushman
Admin

Re: New Room Buildout - need help

Post by Bushman »

I use an outbuilding that stores my boat and another area for my shop. I made all my distilling equipment portable so I could store it out of the way when not in use and move it when needed. My fermenting area is an insulated large cart.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54259 And my still I disassemble and when it use is stored on a homemade dolly to move.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Think of how you use your stuff on a brew or still day. Put the most used stuff on the shelf that's easiest to reach, and work your way out from there. For instance, your meters (thermometer, hydrometer, refractometer, pH meter, weight-o-meter) would probably be on the shelf that's right at chest height. Replacement SS or copper parts might be on the bottom or top shelf depending on your reach. Old logs/recipes might be one down from the easiest to reach etc. Your long aging stock should be as difficult to get to and out of sight as you can get it :) Put your bulk grain at the bottom, so its easy to pull and replace.

Basically, focus your organization on the human that's going to be using it. Doesn't make sense to have your most used tools all the way at the other end of your space.

Don't fear reorganizing as you go. If you are bending over to grab something over and over, put it somewhere easier to get to.

And put stuff you use often where you can remember it. Nothing worse than not being able to start your brew day because your wasting time looking for your scale.
:)
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

I keep all my distilling/fermenting stuff on one 8'x2.5' work bench. viewtopic.php?p=7692561#p7692561 I keep active ferments underneath but that space could be used for other stuff. My still components are kept in 5 gallon buckets, those and the keg boiler would fit there easily if I wasn't fermenting there.

Small plastic bins are very handy. If there is a harbor freight or equivalent nearby they are a good source for cheap storage containers.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
MSP
Novice

Post by MSP »

Ben wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:44 am Put the most used stuff on the shelf that's easiest to reach, and work your way out from there. For instance, your meters (thermometer, hydrometer, refractometer, pH meter, weight-o-meter) would probably be on the shelf that's right at chest height. Replacement SS or copper parts might be on the bottom or top shelf depending on your reach. Old logs/recipes might be one down from the easiest to reach etc. Your long aging stock should be as difficult to get to and out of sight as you can get it :) Put your bulk grain at the bottom, so its easy to pull and replace.
Appreciate this! I am horrible with this stuff and it will help refocus what needs to go where and reevaluate shelving placement, might even remove a few that are just way out of reach.
elbono wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:22 am My still components are kept in 5 gallon buckets, those and the keg boiler would fit there easily if I wasn't fermenting there.

Small plastic bins are very handy. If there is a harbor freight or equivalent nearby they are a good source for cheap storage containers.
This is perfect - I need to get more bins and buckets for sure, prob a few hooks to hand hoses and what not.
Bushman wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:29 am I use an outbuilding that stores my boat and another area for my shop. I made all my distilling equipment portable so I could store it out of the way when not in use and move it when needed. My fermenting area is an insulated large cart.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54259 And my still I disassemble and when it use is stored on a homemade dolly to move.
I'm jealous of the portable setup - this will be a project I have to do at some point.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

elbono wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:22 am Small plastic bins are very handy.
large, and medium are also handy. I have shelves everywhere, some on wheels. I use clear plastic restaurant

totes for big stuff, smaller clear bins with lids so they stack. clear shoe boxes with lids from big lots. no more

than 3 high for anything. same size cardboard boxes clearly marked with big felt marker. only 2 high.

top, middle, and bottom box toolboxes for tools. Organize by use, label things well that you can't see,

and stack to occupy dead air space. stacking to high Is a pain. Good luck.
be water my friend
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

and lotsa room for bottles!

I need to spend some time organizing my shed/shop/cellar. it looks like a bomb went off 💣
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
MSP
Novice

Post by MSP »

cob wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:40 pm
elbono wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:22 am Small plastic bins are very handy.
smaller clear bins with lids so they stack. clear shoe boxes with lids from big lots.
This is key! I'll need to find an array of stackable bins.

I just thought about those hard to open pet food containers for grain but wasn't sure if they'd be worth it or not.