Soldering stainless is kicking my a$$....

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Soldering stainless is kicking my a$$....

Post by TwoSheds »

Looks pretty good to me! I was starting to wonder about the scrap value of all the silver I was dropping.

And yeah, I found it just different enough from sweating pipes or soldering wires to be frustrating.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Top job Hillbilly . File off the dribbles and give itva shine with apot scrubber and I’d give you an A+
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

As long as it don't leak, you can do just what Yummy says and everyone will think a pro did it.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Pick the droppings up to be reused. You may be surprised by the amount of sweats you can use in them on.
ThomasBrewer
Swill Maker

Post by ThomasBrewer »

Definitely looks serviceable! Nice work.

"A grinder and paint, makes me the welder I ain't" - AvE
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

Appreciate the props fellas.

I aint worried too much about making her pretty. As long as the innards are clean and make good shine, I'll be a happy camper.
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

You did great Hillbilly.
I don't know if you're proud or not, but if not, I'm proud for you. Perseverance is a very respectable quality.

I've worked with folks that had way more experience than I at brazing, but were terrified of soldering. And since they were forced to solder, got the hang of it quickly(apart from complaining to high heaven about having to clean everything first).
I've also worked with folks that were so good at mating two pieces of metal that you could hold a fitting behind your back and they could smell it and tell you that it's a 7/8" long radius street 90, or whatever.

As one gains experience with this tiny slice of what we do(soldering), you may want to have a wet, clean, soapy rag handy to keep things tidy when still hot.

Like everything we strive to do: There is a marked improvement from the first time we do something to the third time, from the 3rd time to the 10th, from the 10th to the 100th, this is what "kung fu" is.
Every time we practice something correctly we lay down a sheet of paper. The stack of paper we develop is our "kung fu".
Like the first time I ran a still compared to the 10th, somewhere in between, there's a phrase that involves a monkey and a football. I.E.: Like teaching your kids to drive.
We did not start down this path with the idea it would be easy.

Acfixer is right about saving that stuff. That's money right there. There's a good shine in every weld, sorry, there's some good shine from all the welds.
Long time ago I had to take an immediate callback from someone that totally fubar'd a solder job. I realized I didn't have any solder on my truck but saw that there were several ounces of drips laying on the bottom of the cabinet. I grabbed a cresent(adjustable, spanner, whatever)wrench out of my bag, layed the peices in the recessed part of the handle, heated it into a bar, and used that.
I walked out of that call with an honorary MacGyver mullet.

Anyhow, I'd like to thank everyone that chimed in on this, too, It takes a village to raise a .....whatever.
I'm tipping a glass in your direction Hillbilly. Hats off to you.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives