So is this site the real deal?

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

So is this site the real deal?

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

These prices seem too good to be true. What's the catch?
https://www.oakstills.com/pipe_fittings
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: So is this site the real deal?

Post by subbrew »

It is in China and the shipping is high. But I have ordered from them and found the quality to be OK. and even with shipping the prices are pretty good. Just realize it might be 6 or more weeks before you get what you order.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

I bought a full column from them last year. I'm pretty impressed with their responsiveness to email (their website is a little spotty though) and the overall quality for the price. I even got my stuff pretty quickly, like about a week, but that's probably hit-and-miss, especially these days.

The only complaint I have is their 3" tri-clamp fittings seem a hair off standard. Not a big deal if you use the supplied silicone gaskets (wrapped in teflon of course) but the rigid teflon gaskets I have from other suppliers don't quite match up.

That's my experience. FWIW, I'd buy from them again.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

Oh, one other minor criticism, the shotgun that came with my column is not the strongest. The through tubes are too small or too few. It works, knocks down 2500 watts, but could be better. It was still a good deal even considering that, and I still use the condenser all the time but will eventually upgrade to strip faster.
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

I have the PTFE seals from these guys, seems to depend on the run you get, but the 4" ones i have, probably one in 3 or so have an issue, they are so cheap it dont matter if our aware of it, just order twice as many.

Will be buying "brand name ones" next time though

As said, just be aware that you are buying from near the bottom of the barrel
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Well I am mostly interested in their copper triclamp ferrules.

The 2" are a bit over $8!

That's like 75% less than I've seen anywhere else.
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

They grabbed my attention too HBPS

Just a bit concerned about quality . The pic looks pretty rough. Hope thats just a bad Pic .
Just looks to me like they may need a tidy up in a Lathe or something
C8EA0B9C-A068-477A-B61A-847699D0134B.jpeg
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Yummyrum wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:07 pm They grabbed my attention too HBPS

Just a bit concerned about quality . The pic looks pretty rough. Hope thats just a bad Pic .

Can't be any worse than some of the homemade flanges I've seen some guys around here make. :ebiggrin: :lol: :ebiggrin:
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

subbrew wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:59 pm It is in China and the shipping is high. But I have ordered from them and found the quality to be OK. and even with shipping the prices are pretty good. Just realize it might be 6 or more weeks before you get what you order.
Can you provide an idea on shipping rates?
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:04 am
Yummyrum wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:07 pm They grabbed my attention too HBPS

Can't be any worse than some of the homemade flanges I've seen some guys around here make. :ebiggrin: :lol: :ebiggrin:
That is true , but the groove in that pic looks like it has lumps of copper in it . I don’t know how it would seal to well with a standard tri-clamp gasket . Maybe if the ridges were cut off it might work . After all , shitty home made flanges work well with just a flat gasket .

It just supprises me that if that is the best looking flange they could find to photograph , how bad are the rest :ewink:
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

It's got to be light playing tricks in the pic. They're machined parts so I highly doubt there could be lumps or anything to be suspicious of. If they're garbage, anyone could just do a charge-back on the credit card.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:48 pm It's got to be light playing tricks in the pic. They're machined parts so I highly doubt there could be lumps or anything to be suspicious of. If they're garbage, anyone could just do a charge-back on the credit card.
I hope you are right . My pessimistic thoughts were that they have been cast in a shitty mould.
Maybe they were machined out of solid copper billet ….. but I doubt it .
At best , maybe they are cast and machined .

But you are right , if they are shit, get a refund
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

I would like to think that copper ferrules are made from hollow cylindrical copper extrusions to minimize waste. I know that's how many machined aluminum parts are made.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

I'm kinda with Yummy on this one. Those spots look suspiciously like spots welds or tags left over from casting.

Either way, if they are, it's nothing a dremel tool can't take care of quickly. I'm gonna pull the trigger on a bunch this week. I will report back and let yall know.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Twisted Brick wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:02 pm
subbrew wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:59 pm It is in China and the shipping is high. But I have ordered from them and found the quality to be OK. and even with shipping the prices are pretty good. Just realize it might be 6 or more weeks before you get what you order.
My order was about $170 and shipping was about $70.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Gotcha, thanks.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Twisted Brick wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:02 pm
Here's the pricing and shipping quote I got from them.

"Hi Sir

I have added the prices. The estimated shipping weight is 9kgs, and the shipping cost is around USD 118

(3) 6" triclamp ferrule 3*5.2=15.6
(2) 2"-6" Tri clamp bowl reducers 2*25=50 
(1) 6" Tri clamp end cap 1*5.2=5.2
(12) 1 1/2" copper Tri clamp ferrules 12*6=72
(3) 2" copper Tri clamp ferrules 3*7.5=22.5
(3) 1 1/2" Tri clamp butterfly valves 3*12=36
(4) 1 1/2" tri clamps 4*1.1=4.4
(4) 1 1/2" silicone gasket 4*0.12=0.48
(5) 2" Tri clamp 5*1.8=9
(5) PTFE 2" gasket 5*0.18=0.9
(2) 2" copper 90 elbow with tri clamp flange 2*19=38

Total USD 254.08

Regards

Peter"
Wyododge
Bootlegger

Post by Wyododge »

FWIW, I asked them for the dimensions of the copper Tri-Clamp (not tri-clamp - Ferrule) and they sent me this. OD of the nipple is about 0.02" (.5mm) larger than ID of L copper.

image.png
Last edited by Wyododge on Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It seems that discussions about alcohol percentage out of your still are remarkably similar to the MPG of your truck.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Wyododge wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:52 am FWIW, I asked them for the dimensions of the copper Tri-Clamp and they sent me this. OD of the nipple is about 0.02" (.5mm) larger than ID of L copper.

image.png
Might it be sized perfectly for type M copper?
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

I got a dephlegmator from them, it was not good build quality, rough, messy welds, vapor tubes that looked like they were gnawed down to final dimensions, full of dirt and gunk, sent it back.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

squigglefunk wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:38 am I got a dephlegmator from them, it was not good build quality, rough, messy welds, vapor tubes that looked like they were gnawed down to final dimensions, full of dirt and gunk, sent it back.
I am just ordering parts for my own build.
Nothing I am getting is prefabricated except for the copper 90s with the stainless flanges.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

well then yes, they are real as far as I know, and real crappy, as mentioned above, those copper flanges look crappy, as did the pics of my dephleg before I ordered it and I chose to go ahead with it and then realized that the pics were actually better than the real thing
Wyododge
Bootlegger

Post by Wyododge »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:23 am
Wyododge wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:52 am FWIW, I asked them for the dimensions of the copper Tri-Clamp and they sent me this. OD of the nipple is about 0.02" (.5mm) larger than ID of L copper.

image.png
Might it be sized perfectly for type M copper?
ID of 2" M copper is 2.009" (51.286mm) fitting is 50.008 OD. If you want to press fit, Use L. If you want to slip fit M will work. Kinda depends how you want to connect it. One wild card is the consistency of their product. Copper is easy to work with so either way you should not have an issue. With that said, the general issue with casings is worn dies or improper cooling causing out of round product. With copper, its easier to remove material than to add it. It also makes for a tighter fit. If you are good at brazing, slip er on and fill er up, she'll never back out.

Chance are, any money you save buying from them is gonna be made up with fitment. I have more time than money though. Besides, where is the fun in everything just falling together. We wouldn't be here if it were that easy. FWIW, I am getting my parts list together and am going to send it to them for a quote, so we'll have both hit the same ice burg when the UPS man arrives.

However, if you are using it for a Twisted Brick Shotgun condenser you need to use L copper (That was a non spokesperson unpaid endorsement).
It seems that discussions about alcohol percentage out of your still are remarkably similar to the MPG of your truck.
Wyododge
Bootlegger

Post by Wyododge »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:03 am
squigglefunk wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:38 am I got a dephlegmator from them, it was not good build quality, rough, messy welds, vapor tubes that looked like they were gnawed down to final dimensions, full of dirt and gunk, sent it back.
Nothing I am getting is prefabricated except for the copper 90s with the stainless flanges.
That's what I am doing too. Twisted Brick talked me into using copper pipe for my spools instead of using their SS spools. He didn't actually talk me into it, just made one of them subliminal suggestions that kept me up all night.
Wyododge
Bootlegger

Post by Wyododge »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:03 am
HbP - did your parts show up yet?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Wyododge wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:27 pm Twisted Brick talked me into using copper pipe for my spools instead of using their SS spools.
You wont regret it, stainless might be cheap and shiny ......., but copper rules :thumbup:
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

All my parts came in. Sorry is for the delayed update. I was in time out for a bit.
Everything took right at 1 month, from initial order to arrival. I am very pleased!

Everything is perfect except for the triclamp copper elbows. They will work just fine, but there's some machine marks on them and one was slightly dented.

But the copper ferrules are flawless and the dome reducers are sexy as hell!
20220324_120548.jpg
20220324_141328.jpg
Also making a small cameo here is my 2" shotty from Twisted Brick.
Dathhu
Bootlegger

Post by Dathhu »

I gotta ask, what exactly are you building with all those butterfly valves?
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Dathhu wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:46 am I gotta ask, what exactly are you building with all those butterfly valves?
I only need 3 of them.
Oakstills sent me too many.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

That's a nice pile of parts! And twisted's shotgun is a great topper, will take about anything you can throw at it!