So is this site the real deal?

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: So is this site the real deal?

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

Here's some pics of the cosmetic issues I had with the triclamp copper 90s.
20220401_131358.jpg
20220401_131303.jpg
They are perfectly functional as is and considering the price...
You could not buy your own elbow and ferrules and build them for cheaper.
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

And as you can see the copper TC ferrules are flawless. Save for a few scratches from being g tossed around in my parts box for a couple weeks...
The pictures on the website must be funky. There's nothing to complain about here.
VideoCapture_20220401-131858.jpg
VideoCapture_20220401-131734.jpg
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

I just ordered the "2" potstill/ alcohol column" . $241, with free shipping. I sent a message to them asking if i could switch out the ss condenser for the copper one. Ill post an update about it when it arrives.
Last edited by Metalking00 on Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Metalking00 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:13 pm I just ordered the "2" potstill/ alcohol column". $241, with free shipping. Ill post an update about it when it arrives.
How the fuh you get free shipping?!
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Hi HBP, How tight are the copper ferrules and what kind of pipe do they fit into (or around)?

Cheers,
j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:16 pm How the fuh you get free shipping?!
Some of the stuff says free shipping, some doesnt. Maybe they just like me :)

That was what sold me on buying the thing. Cheaper than i could get the materials for, and I get to remain lazy.

If the quality is good, they may be where i go when i upgrade to a larger setup later down the line.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

jonnys_spirit wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:17 pm Hi HBP, How tight are the copper ferrules and what kind of pipe do they fit into (or around)?

Cheers,
j
So they were quite loose in my DWV copper (I was still able to get them soldered though) and very tight in my type M copper. So tight that I had to lightly beat the ferrules in with a rubber mallet.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:46 pm
jonnys_spirit wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:17 pm Hi HBP, How tight are the copper ferrules and what kind of pipe do they fit into (or around)?

Cheers,
j
So they were quite loose in my DWV copper (I was still able to get them soldered though) and very tight in my type M copper. So tight that I had to lightly beat the ferrules in with a rubber mallet.
Ok good! Tight is better! I need to make a few 3” elbows and 3”-to-2” reducer.

Cheers,
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

jonnys_spirit wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:46 pm

Cheers,
j
Ok good! Tight is better! I need to make a few 3” elbows and 3”-to-2” reducer.

Cheers,
-j
Mine were so tight that I'm fairly certain I could have e installed them with no solder and gotten no leaks. :lol:
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

They replied to my email within a few hours and said they will swap the ss condenser for the copper one for an extra $65. Total cost now is $306. Not bad, and im pleased with their responsiveness.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Metalking00 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:42 pm They replied to my email within a few hours and said they will swap the ss condenser for the copper one for an extra $65. Total cost now is $306. Not bad, and im pleased with their responsiveness.
Check your PM
ThomasBrewer
Swill Maker

Post by ThomasBrewer »

Cheers,
j
Completely normal. If you can find some 24ga copper wire, it's the perfect thickness for shimming to the DWV inner diameter.
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

I have ordered custom welded adapters, dephleg, product condensers, spool pieces, ptfe, parrat, sight glasses from Oak Stills.

1. Their fully constructed columns are not cheap.
2. Their piece parts however are very reasonably priced.
3. I have had no quality issues over probably 10 orders.
4. I have had wrong parts shipped and shipped out the replacement with no fuss about sending them back the wrong part.
5. Direct email communications are prompt, you do need to use clear concise english to make your orders especially if have them weld up custom.
I had a 6.25" - 3" adapter welded up for me and it was very clean

Those are my thoughts on Oak-Stills.com.

I have a 3" copper bubble plate in transit from them at the moment to see what it like before I order a stack
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

My order arrived today. Overall, Im pleased. It arrived quickly, even though there was a delay because of the china lockdowns. The guy from the company let me know there would be a delay, and kept me updated throughout, letting me know when it was shipped.

The parts look well made, and all the joints are smooth and clean. I opted for the copper shotgun which on their site shows 4 tubes, but the one that arrived has 6. Everything was well packaged. The shotgun has 2 minor blemishes that look like theyre possibly from getting dropped or tossed around during shipping. Not bad enough to bother me.

Hoping to get it cleaned up by the weekend so i can run the mash thats been waiting for it!
Last edited by Metalking00 on Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

Heres what i got (it came with a bunch of fittings, some red and blue hose and some extra bits too). Since its all triclamp i can mix and match with some other pieces i already have. The little reducer endcap thing is a stupid design, Ill have to change that out at some point.
20220426_205628.jpg
Here are the 2 cosmetic faults. Pretty minor, and likely happened during shipping.
20220426_205805.jpg
20220426_205836.jpg
Im excited to try it out, its my first CM.
Walshie
Novice

Post by Walshie »

I ordered a 3" bubble plate and dephlag back in Feb from them, $400 cdn all-in, finally started running it this month.

First batch ran real well but had issues with second batch of all-corn going cloudy. I'm not sure if its a plate issue that caused it but the copper seemed to bleed off and onto the glass as well as discolouring.

And I need work balancing water flow through the dephlag as just a touch threw everything out of balance and killed the operation so once I got a bit of reflux I just ran it dry and let the bubbler do all the work. Controlled with a 3/8 needle valve. Got to 170P but it slowly faded to 100 (different issue lets stick to the equipment)
PXL_20220309_225152724.jpg
PXL_20220618_135646951.jpg
https://photos.app.goo.gl/h4xRuUD4bTWKwA1w8
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

I have the 3" flute-style from Oak Stills and it looks like the same plates. If you're running your dephleg off household water pressure lowering that would help a lot. A smaller valve might help too.

I don't know about the cloudy wash, but copper does go through some changes. Tons of posts about cleaning and passivating it in other threads.

More details on heat source, power in, takeoff rate, ABV in the kettle, etc. might help others diagnose the cloudiness.

TwoSheds
Walshie
Novice

Post by Walshie »

Yea 3 issues
copper discoloring the glass
dephlag operation
cloudy distillate.

I came across this thread and thought I'd throw my 2 cents in re Oak Stills. Which lead to the potential quality concern about the copper throwing stuff to the glass. Likely need to passivate it thanks.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

To my knowledge there is no “passification” required of copper. Copper should be 100% copper. Passification is a stainless steel process of pulling nickel atoms to the surface.

What copper part is discoloring what glass? I don’t see any copper in contact with the glass in the other picture. Could you share a closeup picture of both the glass and copper in question?

I suspect it is something other than your copper causing any discoloration on the glass, unless your copper is not copper.

I think it is more likely you are seeing oil from tails that has stuck to the parts in your column. (Just a guess). Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Walshie
Novice

Post by Walshie »

better photo tomorrow
Walshie
Novice

Post by Walshie »

here's the residue on the glass
PXL_20220621_225956337.jpg
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

Pretty sure otis is on the money

Did you clean everything before assembly?
Vinegar/sacrificial run?

My glass will look like that with a scorch or running rye, cloudy wasn't smoke? (Been there, done that lols)
Walshie
Novice

Post by Walshie »

Everything cleaned with a citric acid wash. I had one run into it previous without the stained glass issue, the following wash was a water immersion. The glass on the right was closest to the still, followed by middle then left.

We ran it hot on an all-corn mash (liquid 205) and there was a pretty good amount of creamed corn in the still following draining/shut down.

Here's the whole setup:
PXL_20220618_110233431x.jpg
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Walshie wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:06 am here's the residue on the glassPXL_20220621_225956337.jpg
Are those silicone seals??
be water my friend
Walshie
Novice

Post by Walshie »

cob wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:44 am
Walshie wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:06 am here's the residue on the glassPXL_20220621_225956337.jpg
Are those silicone seals??
I believe so.