My keg still

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Notsob17
Novice

My keg still

Post by Notsob17 »

Here are a few pictures of my keg still I built 6-7 years ago. It has been collecting dust the past 3-4 years, but after going on a distillery tour last weekend it got my juices flowing again, lol. A former site donor here was instrumental in helping me with the design. Unfortunately it looks like he has not been online in a while. But much thanks to him. I would like to add a thumper at some point. What do you all think of the set up?

15.5 keg w/ gas set up
24” column
36 1/2” liebeg with 6” of that being where the product exits
310DE4D3-7F0B-4B8F-87DD-DBE577B954D9.jpeg
05F3E314-4EED-4A18-B928-E0BAC2835105.jpeg
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My keg still

Post by Dancing4dan »

Good starting point :thumbup:

With a keg pot and gas/ propane heat think about a longer product condenser. That will make things easier for fast stripping runs.

I have never used a “thumper” but do have and occasionally use a steam still that is essentially the same thing. Have a look at some of the builds in the steam distillation thread for some ideas on making your new set up modular.

Welcome back. Look forward to seeing your thump setup.
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
Shine_Dad
Novice

Post by Shine_Dad »

HI!

So this is my setup that I've been running that I built this spring. We'll be running our fifth general of UJSSM on it tonight when I get home from work.

Aside from the fact that it needs a larger cooler/water source to keep the condenser water cooler, it works like a dream.

1/2 Keg Pot like yours, 1/3rd Keg to be a Thumper and a home built 1/2" copper traditional worm condenser.

Runs Exceptionally well. It will come out of the condenser at about 75% on a single run. We collect down to about 20% and keep the hearts from each run.
Still_Setup.JPG
This is an older picture. The unit has been primed and painted in textured truck bed liner since this picture.

** Update: I also noticed this picture shows the Original Condenser. I have since then put a 5" Tall 'Vampire Collar' that I welded to the top. Now the coil is entirely submerged in water.

Thanks!

Will
Wyododge
Bootlegger

Post by Wyododge »

Shine_Dad wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:43 am 1/2 Keg Pot like yours, 1/3rd Keg to be a Thumper and a home built 1/2" copper traditional worm condenser.
That condenser is baddass.
Notsob17 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:30 am What do you all think of the set up?
Nice and clean. Love it!
gurkan
Novice

Post by gurkan »

Shine_Dad wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:43 am HI!

So this is my setup that I've been running that I built this spring. We'll be running our fifth general of UJSSM on it tonight when I get home from work.

Aside from the fact that it needs a larger cooler/water source to keep the condenser water cooler, it works like a dream.

1/2 Keg Pot like yours, 1/3rd Keg to be a Thumper and a home built 1/2" copper traditional worm condenser.

Runs Exceptionally well. It will come out of the condenser at about 75% on a single run. We collect down to about 20% and keep the hearts from each run.

Still_Setup.JPG

This is an older picture. The unit has been primed and painted in textured truck bed liner since this picture.

** Update: I also noticed this picture shows the Original Condenser. I have since then put a 5" Tall 'Vampire Collar' that I welded to the top. Now the coil is entirely submerged in water.

Thanks!

Will
Looks impressive. The balloon attached at the end, does that have a special reason?
Shine_Dad
Novice

Post by Shine_Dad »

Wyododge wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:27 pm
Shine_Dad wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:43 am 1/2 Keg Pot like yours, 1/3rd Keg to be a Thumper and a home built 1/2" copper traditional worm condenser.
That condenser is baddass.
Notsob17 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:30 am What do you all think of the set up?
Nice and clean. Love it!
Thanks I really appreciate the feedback! It was a struggle to get the wife onboard to let me build it... but now that it is built ( A project that I actually finished for once Lol ) she is really glad I did it and very supportive.
Shine_Dad
Novice

Post by Shine_Dad »

gurkan wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:12 am
Shine_Dad wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:43 am HI!

Still_Setup.JPG

Thanks!

Will
Looks impressive. The balloon attached at the end, does that have a special reason?
Nope - We were doing a test of the aquarium pump and the cooler and condenser being filled all the way up ( Prior to realizing it was going to need to be more submerged - Just a proof of concept to dial in the T-Fitting to regulate the pump ) and I wanted something on it to eliminate any chance of any crap going up inside the coil.

Anytime the rig isn't being run, everything is cleaned out and then mocked back up and sealed so no buggies or anything can make their way inside.

Thanks!