Smoking fish

Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

Post Reply
User avatar
Bushman
Global moderator
Posts: 13849
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:29 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Smoking fish

Post by Bushman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:24 am

Using a slightly different brine but will start smoking about 4 lbs of salmon in a few hours. For the brine I added 4 cloves of pressed garlic and substituted the brown sugar for some of my Panela I use for making rum. I also used Kosher salt rather than my usual rock salt.
Brine recipe
1 gallon of water
3/4 cup panela
1 cup kosher salt
4 garlic cloves pressed
Johnny’s Seafood Seasoning added to fish while drying.

After 4 hours in the brine rinse and pat dry and add Johnny’s Seafood Seasoning. Store 2 hours in the refrigerator.
Heat smoker to 160 and place fish on racks with parchment paper.
Add wood chips as needed
Cook until thick part of fish reaches 145 degrees.

OtisT
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 1711
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:59 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Smoking fish

Post by OtisT » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:31 am

Sounds yummy. I’m interested to know if/what the panela does to change the scent or flavor of your salmon.

The season opened here a few days back, in limited sections only of the big river, but there are no boats out yet. I don’t think there are many salmon coming or expected this year. It’s a sad thing, watching our runs diminish year after year.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels

User avatar
Bushman
Global moderator
Posts: 13849
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:29 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Smoking fish

Post by Bushman » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:13 am

Will smoke it today as I had a eye doctor appointment yesterday and didn’t want to leave the smoker unattended. Guess it is a habit I learned from distilling.

User avatar
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:53 pm
Location: Best State in the Union!

Re: Smoking fish

Post by Yonder » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:51 pm

Sounds ok! Last time I tried smoking fish the damn paper got all wet and wouldn't roll right.
Really. You knew it was comin, didn't ya?
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.

User avatar
Fiddleford
Rumrunner
Posts: 582
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:24 am
Location: NW Lake Gitchegumee

Re: Smoking fish

Post by Fiddleford » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:55 pm

Yonder wrote:Sounds ok! Last time I tried smoking fish the damn paper got all wet and wouldn't roll right.
Really. You knew it was comin, didn't ya?
You aint cure it proper then :wink:

I'll be doing a few buckets of smelts this year, first time doing them to.
Rye whisky rye whisky oh dont let me down
Gunna have me a drink then gambol around
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2

User avatar
Bushman
Global moderator
Posts: 13849
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:29 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Smoking fish

Post by Bushman » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:01 am

722E258B-FA1F-4BF3-AEEE-639A603AF217.jpeg

User avatar
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 1326
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:00 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Smoking fish

Post by nerdybrewer » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:45 am

Bushman wrote:Using a slightly different brine but will start smoking about 4 lbs of salmon in a few hours. For the brine I added 4 cloves of pressed garlic and substituted the brown sugar for some of my Panela I use for making rum. I also used Kosher salt rather than my usual rock salt.
Brine recipe
1 gallon of water
3/4 cup panela
1 cup kosher salt
4 garlic cloves pressed
Johnny’s Seafood Seasoning added to fish while drying.

After 4 hours in the brine rinse and pat dry and add Johnny’s Seafood Seasoning. Store 2 hours in the refrigerator.
Heat smoker to 160 and place fish on racks with parchment paper.
Add wood chips as needed
Cook until thick part of fish reaches 145 degrees.
I love the flavor using Panela in the brine.
Been doing it that way for years now.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.

User avatar
Bushman
Global moderator
Posts: 13849
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:29 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Smoking fish

Post by Bushman » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:44 am

Nerdy it did add a nice flavor subtle but noticeable.

User avatar
jonnys_spirit
Rumrunner
Posts: 567
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:58 am
Location: The Milky Way

Re: Smoking fish

Post by jonnys_spirit » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:53 am

That looks great. How long did u smoke it for and how long does it keep?

Cheers,
Jonny

User avatar
Bushman
Global moderator
Posts: 13849
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:29 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Smoking fish

Post by Bushman » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:35 pm

Smoked just under 8 hrs, started out at 155 degrees but the internal temp of the fish was not reaching the 145 it needs to cook so after 4 hours I moved it up to 165 and then the last hour I raised the temp to 175. It keeps for a long time in the freezer, vacuum sealed. Doesn’t last that long to do a long term test.

User avatar
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 1809
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:16 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Smoking fish

Post by Oldvine Zin » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:51 pm

jonnys_spirit wrote:That looks great. How long did u smoke it for and how long does it keep?

Cheers,
Jonny
In my house about a day

OVZ

hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:38 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Smoking fish

Post by hpby98 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:55 am

Have you ever tried starting lower and stepping up the heat gradually to avoid the albumin “bleed”?

https://honest-food.net/how-to-smoke-salmon-recipe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

User avatar
Bushman
Global moderator
Posts: 13849
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:29 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Smoking fish

Post by Bushman » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:45 am

hpby98 wrote:Have you ever tried starting lower and stepping up the heat gradually to avoid the albumin “bleed”?

https://honest-food.net/how-to-smoke-salmon-recipe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
That is what I did, started at 155 degrees and slowly raised it to get the internal temp of fish to the finished temp of 145. I did not baste with maple syrup but might be interesting to try. I put Johnny’s seafood seasoning (now called seasoning salt) sprinkled on top.

hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:38 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Smoking fish

Post by hpby98 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:15 pm

Bushman wrote:
hpby98 wrote:Have you ever tried starting lower and stepping up the heat gradually to avoid the albumin “bleed”?

https://honest-food.net/how-to-smoke-salmon-recipe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
That is what I did, started at 155 degrees and slowly raised it to get the internal temp of fish to the finished temp of 145. I did not baste with maple syrup but might be interesting to try. I put Johnny’s seafood seasoning (now called seasoning salt) sprinkled on top.
Good to know. This is definitely on my bucket list

hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:38 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Smoking fish

Post by hpby98 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:26 pm

Bushman wrote:
hpby98 wrote:Have you ever tried starting lower and stepping up the heat gradually to avoid the albumin “bleed”?

https://honest-food.net/how-to-smoke-salmon-recipe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
That is what I did, started at 155 degrees and slowly raised it to get the internal temp of fish to the finished temp of 145. I did not baste with maple syrup but might be interesting to try. I put Johnny’s seafood seasoning (now called seasoning salt) sprinkled on top.

Bucket list check off

The recipe rocks. I found dusting it in sugar at the end, and storing in the fridge for a few days mellowed it out and made it even better

Salmon candy rocks!

User avatar
Bushman
Global moderator
Posts: 13849
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:29 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Smoking fish

Post by Bushman » Tue May 14, 2019 8:39 pm

Need to get back out and replenish my freezer with salmon.

Post Reply