Site Donor
Site Donor

Bratwurst (Oktoberfest)

Post by bitter »

Bratwurst (Oktoberfest)

20 lbs. Pork butts
4 cups milk
6 Tbs. salt
4 tsp. Prague powder #! (Curing salt, this one calls for 1 Tsp per 5 lbs, always follow the directions with this stuff)
1 Tbs. mace
8 tsp. white pepper
1 Tbs. nutmeg
2 tsp. ginger
4 eggs
4 cups powdered milk
4 tsp caraway seed

After meat is ground (2x though 1/4" plate) I mix everything together really well. Then use Virtical stuff to stuff in hog casings.

The brats were then poaches till they reached 148F (Still require cooking) and frozen in packs of 4.

I only made 9 lbs but per-portions exactly as noted here. Very nice. Brats are poached after being made and then

To serve/cook I Like to fry/bown the outside either in a pan (If a pan I add sauerkraut ) You can also poach them in beer, butter too :) I often BBQ them and put on a bun with sauerkraut and home made dijon .. Its important not to cook too much or you can dry them out.

they end up being a white/pink color due to the cure .. yummy!

B
Attachments
brats 3
brats 3
brats 2
brats 2
Brats!
Brats!
Last edited by bitter on Thu May 07, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Bratwurst (Oktoberfest)

Post by Braz »

Ooooh yeah! Been trying to convince the wife we need a grinder/stuffer. This might be just the thing to bring her around.

What is Prague powder? That's a new on on me.
Braz
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Braz wrote:Ooooh yeah! Been trying to convince the wife we need a grinder/stuffer. This might be just the thing to bring her around.

Its the cure . The Sausage maker site use to sell it
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Tater wrote:
Braz wrote:Ooooh yeah! Been trying to convince the wife we need a grinder/stuffer. This might be just the thing to bring her around.

Its the cure . The Sausage maker site use to sell it
Exactly. You can still get it. I use prague #1 (nitrite and salt) its for sausage etc that is not dry cured. For dry cure stuff you need Prague #2 its Nitrite ,Nitrate and salt. Also be very careful and use the amounts based on manufacture instructions too much can make you sick.

Bruce
Attachments
stuffer
stuffer
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

No St. Patrick’s Day in Ireland and now there’s still not going to be a Oktoberfest/Volksfest in Munich this year! I’ll trinkst das Spaten un essen der snitzel for all my German hobbyists out there! Cheers!!
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Absolutely agree! O-Fest @ Home if we have to and it's gleich um der Ecke! Bookmarking this recipe!
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

bitter wrote: Thu May 07, 2015 7:52 am Bratwurst (Oktoberfest)

20 lbs. Pork butts
4 cups milk
6 Tbs. salt
4 tsp. Prague powder #! (Curing salt, this one calls for 1 Tsp per 5 lbs, always follow the directions with this stuff)
1 Tbs. mace
8 tsp. white pepper
1 Tbs. nutmeg
2 tsp. ginger
4 eggs
4 cups powdered milk
4 tsp caraway seed

After meat is ground (2x though 1/4" plate) I mix everything together really well. Then use Virtical stuff to stuff in hog casings.

The brats were then poaches till they reached 148F (Still require cooking) and frozen in packs of 4.

I only made 9 lbs but per-portions exactly as noted here. Very nice. Brats are poached after being made and then

To serve/cook I Like to fry/bown the outside either in a pan (If a pan I add sauerkraut ) You can also poach them in beer, butter too :) I often BBQ them and put on a bun with sauerkraut and home made dijon .. Its important not to cook too much or you can dry them out.

B
I mix seasonin into trim before grinding. To me it is eazier and gets mixed in better.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

jedneck wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:52 am
bitter wrote: Thu May 07, 2015 7:52 am Bratwurst (Oktoberfest)

20 lbs. Pork butts
4 cups milk
6 Tbs. salt
1 Tbs. mace
8 tsp. white pepper
1 Tbs. nutmeg
2 tsp. ginger
4 eggs
4 cups powdered milk
4 tsp caraway seed

B
I mix seasonin into trim before grinding. To me it is eazier and gets mixed in better.
Ya that works great

B
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Interesting post we are spending all day tomorrow making sausage. We just bought the part for our blender to make the sausage.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Bushman wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:38 pm Interesting post we are spending all day tomorrow making sausage. We just bought the part for our blender to make the sausage.
Good luck!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Update, for Christmas I got a Hakka Sausage Stuffer. Also got the book 1001 sausage recipes. Been spending more time reading up on the process and fewer hours on the forum. For my first attempt with the new sausage stuffer i am making an Andouille Cajun. It should go well with my shrimp in a gumbo or jumbalaya,
Broken Jug
Bootlegger

Post by Broken Jug »

Bushman wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:07 pm Update, for Christmas I got a Hakka Sausage Stuffer. Also got the book 1001 sausage recipes. Been spending more time reading up on the process and fewer hours on the forum. For my first attempt with the new sausage stuffer i am making an Andouille Cajun. It should go well with my shrimp in a gumbo or jumbalaya,
Great Christmas presents!

I almost bought the Hakka Sausage Stuffer but went with the "Meat Your Maker" stuffer instead due to it was on sale.

I enjoy grinding meat and making sausage and other meat products almost as much as playing with mash recipes and distilling.

Lets us know how your Andouille comes out, sounds delicious.