Atomic Buffalo Turds (ABT's)

Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Atomic Buffalo Turds (ABT's)

Post by Smokehouse Shiner »

Here ya go, the world renowned Atomic Buffalo Turds. One of my favorite things to cook on the smoker these are basically stuffed jalapenos. They are good. Damn good. And addictive. Often referred to as Barbecue Crack, if you make em once you'll make em again. I guarantee it. Great as an appetizer or a side. You'll need:
Fresh jalapenos
Lil Smokies (mini smoked sausages- don't get the generic, they are just tiny hot dogs)
Cream cheese (softened)
Bacon
Brown sugar and spices to taste

Prep: Clean and slice peppers lengthwise and remove all seeds and veins. That's where the heat is. If you want to keep some heat leave some of the vein in. If you want em very mild remove all then rinse the inside with cold water. Warning!Wear latex gloves when handling and cleaning hot peppers! Trust me, Just do it.
In a bowl mix the cream cheese with some brown sugar more or less to taste. The sweetness cuts the heat a little. Also mix in a little garlic powder or crushed garlic and onion powder, and (this is where the Atomic part comes in) ground cayenne pepper. The cayenne is optional if you don't want em hot. Paprika is a good substitute. You can use whatever spices you like in the mix just don't overdo it. I also add a handful of a white Italian cheese mix.

Spread cheese mixture on the inside of pepper halves and place one Lil Smokie in the middle. Put halves back together and wrap the pepper in a piece of bacon. Either secure bacon with a toothpick or just wrap it under itself so it won't come loose. Roll the ABT's in brown sugar to lightly coat. I like to mix a little of my homemade dry rub (which I'm not giving the recipe for, sorry) with the sugar.

Cooking: Pretty simple. Put the ABT's in the smoker at around 225 for 1-2 hours. Really just till the bacon is cooked and the sugar starts to caramelize. Let em cool well. That cream cheese really holds the heat. Dig in! But be careful and don't eat too many before the rest of the BBQ is done. It's easy to do. One large pepper or two small ones per person is plenty for an appetizer. They are filling.

If you removed all the seeds and veins and used no cayenne these will not be hot at all. Between the prep and the time on the smoker virtually all the heat will be gone. I have a 5 and a 7 year old who eat these like they're going out of style. Enjoy guys, Cheers!

Smokehouse
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which God intended a more divine means of consumption...
Bushman
Admin

Re: Atomic Buffalo Turds (ABT's)

Post by Bushman »

Sounds good, and Shiner don't worry I've got my own secret rub :D
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Mite have to try your take on it. I normally just stuff them with cream cheese or pepper jack and wrap them. Throw em on the grill and go. I have tried shrimp in the stuffing. They were just ok. My house I have to cook 4 per person. They go fast. And yes they are freakin addictive! Thanks now I want some.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Bubba Q
Bootlegger

Post by Bubba Q »

I've done a ton of these on the Q in many variations. I like to mix the cream cheese with lime zest, juice, and finely chopped cilantro then lay a slice of chorizo before wrapping in bacon. Of course you gotta put the nice rub on top which already has some brown sugar. For a sweet treat, try plain cream cheese and a dollup of Apricot preserves before wrapping in bacon.
Special note here though - Grilling aint Qing. If you have access to a real BBQ, you likely already have had these cooked in the smoke over 225deg C. Enjoy!
woogie
Novice

Post by woogie »

I've done bacon wrapped lil smokies with brown sugar in the oven many times, and those go fast too. Next time I will try this one out because it sounds 100 times better. Thanks for sharing!