"improvised" Sushi

Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

johnny108
Bootlegger

"improvised" Sushi

Post by johnny108 »

First, the rice:
3 cups Japanese Sushi Rice (or whatever short grain rice you can find)
3 1/4 Cups Cold Water
1/3 Cup Rice Vinegar
2 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tsp Salt
Traditional methods require you to steam the rice, then mist this mixture over the rice, and evaporating off the water. I lived in a barracks for a long time in places with no sushi bars nearby. So my "quick tip" (for everyday eating- not for guests)- is to make this mix, and use it to cook instant rice. Watch it closely
in the microwave- it will try to foam a LOT. (best method- bring the above mix to a boil in a large cup in the microwave, and add an equal volume of instant rice- heat until it foams, then stop the heat, and let it stand in the microwave for 15 minutes- it will cook in the residual heat).
For a wrap, you can use traditional nori (the seaweed), or a lettuce of your choice. Put a 5mm layer of rice on the wrap material, then lay a "surimi" stick (fake crab sticks) along the length of the wrap, and dap your prefered amount of wasabi on it, before rolling the whole thing into a tube (if you like spicy, use a bit of wasabi as the glue to hold the wrap together- if you like mild- use cream cheese). Cut the roll/tube into bite sized lengths, and enjoy.
I tend to make the rice the night before, then have it with lettuce as a wrap in the morning, after the gym.
If you don't like fake crab/surimi, you can also use canned tuna (in water, drained). To make this more mild/"cooler"- adding a bit of cucumber helps.
Keep in mind- this is a recipe developed by someone with a microwave, a measuring cup, a plate, and a "dorm room" sized 'fridge...
Prairiepiss
retired

Re: "improvised" Sushi

Post by Prairiepiss »

Last time I made Sushi my nori was bad. Worst crap I had ever had. So bad it turned me off Sushi for a while.

I often put stuff in the microwave and turn it on so I can just stand there and watch it. :lol:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

Staying on topic. I had the best damn Sushi in Seattle last night. Actually I had all Sashimi. Chefs choice all fish platter. I don’t do those silly rolls. Bring me the raw fish baby! I feel energized for a couple of days after having Sashimi. Hmmm. I could eat that every day.

I think I remember, Isn’t Guitar master a Sushi Chef? One of our own!
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

You know what they say about Sushi. Fresher fish is better. Sushi is a peace of mind food - too many flavors, too much insanity. Sashimi and simple Nigiri really is the best way to go.

In the pacific northwest they have Spot Prawns. It is typical for people here to flash freeze spot prawns using dry ice or even liquid nitrogen - the seafood freezes so fast that ice crystals cannot grow in time and damage the fish. Meanwhile, it is so cold that essentially all parasites are killed. If you have tried a soft, buttery raw spot prawn on a piece of Nigiri rice, you know what real luxury is.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

I like it all. All of it :)
I do all my own stunts
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

In the pacific northwest they have Spot Prawns. It is typical for people here to flash freeze spot prawns using dry ice or even liquid nitrogen - the seafood freezes so fast that ice crystals cannot grow in time and damage the fish. Meanwhile, it is so cold that essentially all parasites are killed. If you have tried a soft, buttery raw spot prawn on a piece of Nigiri rice, you know what real luxury is.
Salmon is frozen to kill parasites too. Warm water fish dont have them. I love the artistic presentation of Sushi.
pumpman
Swill Maker

Post by pumpman »

What do you meen warm water fish dont have parasites? I live in the south and the fish do have them here.
Likker in the front and poker in the rear
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

pumpman wrote:What do you meen warm water fish dont have parasites? I live in the south and the fish do have them here.
I Dont have an accurate answer Pumpman. I was told that Tuna and other warm water fish dont have the parasites that Salmon do. Maybe I was miss informed. I had some great sushi again tonight. I hope it did not have parasites,????
:D :D
pumpman
Swill Maker

Post by pumpman »

Don't know about tuna but amberjack is full of them.
Likker in the front and poker in the rear