Hot sauce

Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

pistachio_nut
Swill Maker

Hot sauce

Post by pistachio_nut »

I've made a few batches in the last couple of years. Here's one recipe.

Take a quantity of Jalapenos. Wash, remove stem, run through food processor until the seeds are mashed/crushed/ground and the peppers are mush. Add your choice of crushed red pepper, cayenne pepper, dried red peppers, whatever floats your boat. Destem two habaneros per jar and leave them otherwise intact. Add white vinegar to make a thick slurry. Add onions/cilantro/leeks/garlic to taste.

Pressure can for 70-90 minutes. The longer you can the milder the sauce will be. The jalapenos are a mild base for the sauce, the heat comes from the red stuff and the habaneros. Increase the heat by adding habaneros to the jalapenos in the food processor and make sure the seeds break.

I have found that leaving the dried red peppers intact increase the variability of the heat in the sauce. Maybe you like that, maybe you don't. The more you cook garlic the more bitter it will be. Maybe more pressure and less time is better, depends on your taste.

This is a really tasty sauce for eggs. It's a nice addition to pickled eggs or pickled anything.
Not typically one to floss
MountainWilliam Bill
Novice

Re: Hot sauce

Post by MountainWilliam Bill »

Damn, that sounds so good right now. I wish I had some pickled stuff too...mmm.
If you can't drink it, BURN IT!