frodo
Distiller
Location: hiding behind a pine tree. bout 100 miles east of new orleans

smok'in a fatty

Post by frodo »

anybody use smokers?
ck this out, its gOOOOOOOOOOOOOd!!!
take 2 lbs bulk sausage
and a 1 gallon zip lock bag. put the sausage in bag and flatten out on the counter top
place in the fridge couple of hours..to get a litle stiff/cold
place on a long strip of tinfoil,,,cut the zip lock baggy off of the meat..it was a form.disgard
put what ever topping on the sausage you like...options are endless
i like pepperoni and cheese
roll the sausage up, with the tin foil on the outside
place in your smoker for a couple of hours...remove,,cut in medallions..serve on a biscuit...or what ever you wish
Halfbaked
retired

Re: smok'in a fatty

Post by Halfbaked »

Sign me up on smoken a fatty. You make your own smoker or buy it? Deer makes great skinny fattys. My smoker bit the dust and is in a better place. Thinkn of makin another.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Yum...recommend any type of wood ?
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Doubler
Novice

Post by Doubler »

I smoke fattys all the time.. fatty meats, I smoke meats, on my smoker. That sounds tasty man. Sltm1 oak is usually the go to wood, mesquite being one of the most popular. Apple wood is another. When I lived in florida and had an ubundance of citrus trees, I would use that when I could, nice flavor. Also had a Japanese plum in the yard that cut down, that was some sweet smokin wood too.
“I would rather have a free bottle in front of me than a pre-frontal lobotomy”
― Dean Martin
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Got me goin' nuts now - tryin' to think of something good to put inside a sausage fatty.

S-C
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

I can only improve the "put what ever topping on the sausage you like...options are endless" with;

create a weave of bacon by doing the whole over under thing until you have a bacon blanket. Roll the above in said blanket and treat as you will. I smoke it then bake it.
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

i was given my smokr by my dad..its a r2d2 looking thing...a water smoker
has a pan in it for water
now theres another recpie...the water from your smoker...dip a cup of it out of the pan and make some gravy out of it
you do know how to make gravy dont cha? get fry pan hot
1/4 cup of the smoker water. into a fry pan heat it up and add 1/4 cup flour turn down heat low/simmer..mix and stir for about 5 minutes till the flour is cooked..add the rest of the pan water..and stir constantly for about 15 minutes add a little mo water if to thick. good stuff
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

frodo wrote:i was given my smokr by my dad..its a r2d2 looking thing...a water smoker
has a pan in it for water
now theres another recpie...the water from your smoker...dip a cup of it out of the pan and make some gravy out of it
you do know how to make gravy dont cha? get fry pan hot
1/4 cup of the smoker water. into a fry pan heat it up and add 1/4 cup flour turn down heat low/simmer..mix and stir for about 5 minutes till the flour is cooked..add the rest of the pan water..and stir constantly for about 15 minutes add a little mo water if to thick. good stuff
Oh yeh. Open faced biscuit on the plate, couple slices of the fatty sausage, and THAT smoked gravy over the whole thing.

Another thought - put a pan down under the sausage roll while smoking it and catch some of the drippings, make a rue using the drippings, flour, salt, and pepper. Once you get it to a light rue, stir in some light cream for a nice peppered cream gravy. Make yo tongue jump out and slap you in the face.

Just sayin',
S-C
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

you everr have tomato gravy? its a poor mans breakfast here in the south
but i kick it up...
1/4 cup bacon grease
1/4 cup flour
make your rue
add a can of rotell diced tomatoes, and a small can of tomato paste[ optional] cream/milk to thin
lots of pepper
put over ho-made biskets...

like your idea of sausage gravy from drippings
bellybuster making my mouff water with that bacon in there
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

1/4 cup bacon grease!!!!!!!!!

Yes my Son!!!!!!!
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

its a pork fat thing!! cant cook with out it
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

frodo wrote:its a pork fat thing!! cant cook with out it
If God had meant for us to be vegans, he wouldn't have made meat. His crowning achievement was the pig.

Just sayin',
S-C
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

What ever meat I'm slow cookin in my smoker ,, I place 2 large foil pans of my own 5 bean baked bean mix on the bottom shelf . They get the smoke flavor and catch all the drippins . Never have many leftovers .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

I keep mine pretty simple , pork for meat and apple wood and almond wood mix for flavor. I am going to try the sausage recipe though. Going to be running it tomorrow anyways making some jerky.
DSCF0007.JPG
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Apple wood is what I was leaning towards, I like it on most things I smoke. I just saw a good quote from a guy who was served a salad as an entre at a wedding, "Waiter, I think there's been a mistake, you just served me food my food eats"!
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Jkhippie
Swill Maker

Post by Jkhippie »

Been a long time since I had a smoker at my disposal. I used to make something quite like a rolled fatty. No woven bacon, though. Just straight strips. The blanket sounds better!
As for stuffings, I was always fond of avocado, portabello, and whole pickled cayenne peppers. Pickled the peppers myself (I knew a guy named Peter. Close enough?) It was a garlic-y sweet brine. Nothing to overpower the cayenne flavor. And the heat! After rolling and baking, the heat had migrated all the way out into the bacon.
Yum.

(we need a new 'smilie' with a hand rubbing a belly!)
The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family.

If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, there's been a breach in the Duck Containment Facility.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

S-Cackalacky wrote:Got me goin' nuts now - tryin' to think of something good to put inside a sausage fatty.

S-C
Best thing ever to put in a sausage fatty is your teeth.
1 elk hunter
Novice

Post by 1 elk hunter »

I have a number of old fruit trees I use the printings from for my smoker, mainly apple but a taste of pear.
Living in the PNW, it is usually salmon, elk, and deer meat being smoked. Never rolled a fatty like that. Going to be firing up the smoker sometime in he net few weeks, I'll give it a try.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

you guys are KILLIN ME! After reading this thread I was drooling like a Saint Bernard so I fried up 3 different salami's and pepperoni and made a meat heavy omelete. its not the same I know, but offered some relief! I gotta break the smoker out, been too damn long.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
RidgebackDad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RidgebackDad »

I fill my fatties with sautéed mushrooms, Monterrey Jack cheese, onions & garlic. Roll it back into a chub, and then wrap the chub in a bacon weave. Then smoke it with hickory / apple wood.

Legally, I think the county requires me to make a courtesy call to the local paramedics and put them on standby once I start serving up the fatty - it's a heart attack waiting to happen, but damn, is it good!
image.jpg