Meat curing and smoking

Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Re: Meat curing and smoking

Post by Bushman »

This makes me want to pull out the smoker! Last thing I smoked was salmon and oysters.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Tater wrote:Im doing 10 lbs pork loins per Truckinbutch recipe.Also 4lbs eye of round and 3lb deer loin into dried deer/beef.Also 4 lbs chuck trimmed up into corned beef.
Sounds like you are on a roll . I've been boning out pork butts . Slicing off some nice size slabs to cure for bacon and putting the rest into sausage for patties or stuffing into casings with various seasoning mixes . The butts have a better fat balance than the loins to make frying easier . Loins need a bit of oil in the fry pan to cook well .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

The question was asked about grinder/stuffers . I dealt with Mercantile Station 2 in Lincoln , Nebraska . Their delivery of a Turboforce 3000 grinder was prompt . An issue with the first unit was dealt with swiftly , at their expense , to our complete satisfaction . Good kitchen size grinder for hobby use . If I had multiple whole hogs to deal with I would go to a more commercial size grinder .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Wilded:
That is that piece of meat pictured 3rd from the top, 2nd from the bottom?

BG
wilded
Novice

Post by wilded »

boda getta wrote:Wilded:
That is that piece of meat pictured 3rd from the top, 2nd from the bottom?

BG
Top is Pork Loin Canadian Bacon
Next is venison jerky in the pit
Next is a smoked beef brisket
Last is summer sausage and link sausage.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Truckinbutch wrote:
Tater wrote:Im doing 10 lbs pork loins per Truckinbutch recipe.Also 4lbs eye of round and 3lb deer loin into dried deer/beef.Also 4 lbs chuck trimmed up into corned beef.
Sounds like you are on a roll . I've been boning out pork butts . Slicing off some nice size slabs to cure for bacon and putting the rest into sausage for patties or stuffing into casings with various seasoning mixes . The butts have a better fat balance than the loins to make frying easier . Loins need a bit of oil in the fry pan to cook well .
+1 on the butts best cut on a hog for versatility. Every butt deserves a good rub!!
A good tip on grinding cut your meat into grinder feed size, then freeze it until it's good and firm not fully frozen, throw a little crushed ice in as you go keeping a grinder cold makes it a lot easier and less juicy, I use an old hand crank grinder that clamps on, grandpa used to put a drill in the vice chuck up a socket that fit the crank grinder handle bolt and let the drill do the work you just gotta feed meat. Some more hillbilly ingenuity.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

Smoked me some baby back ribs last night. I'd taken a picture but they didn't last that long.
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

smoked loins 2.jpg
Just got loins outta smoker cooling down before wrapping in cellophane and chilling down few days before slightly freezing and slicing.will try to post pics.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Tater wrote:Just got loins outta smoker cooling down before wrapping in cellophane and chilling down few days before slightly freezing and slicing.will try to post pics.
Hope you are pleased with the results .
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

CB1_(Small) (2).jpg
sliced and packed .samples were tasty
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I am not sure which pics looks better. Boy that looks good! Ya makin me hungry.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Looks like what we had this evening for supper time pig out . One daughter fried out 3 # of my canadian bacon while me and the grandkids raided the 'mater patch . Got nearly a half bushel of them big , vine ripened beefsteaks . Quart of mayo and a family well fed . Not enough leftovers for me and SOH to even have a snack tomorrow .
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Use to make one similar to this using side meat.Once rub was applied ya coated it in sourwood or clover honey.Really tasted good but was a bitch to fry.
DFitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DFitz »

Here's one I've made a few times using a cured pork loin wrapped in a bacon side. It's called Lendenspec.

After curing has been accomplished its smoked for several hours.

After smoking its hung in the curing chamber for about 60 days to dry.

A great concern I had was that mold didn't start growing between the two meats. To prevent this the side was wrapped and tied as tightly as possible.

when all was finished it came time to slice.

a great smoked meat that can be fried to go with breakfast.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

DFitz , let me be sure I got this right . You wrapped cured loin in uncured belly ? Or was the belly cured too ? That looks delicious ! What kind of temps/humidity in the curing chamber ?
DFitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DFitz »

Truckinbutch wrote:DFitz , let me be sure I got this right . You wrapped cured loin in uncured belly ? Or was the belly cured too ? That looks delicious ! What kind of temps/humidity in the curing chamber ?
No, they were both cured. Typically I hold my curing chamber @ 50 or so F with approx 70% humidity.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

DFitz wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:DFitz , let me be sure I got this right . You wrapped cured loin in uncured belly ? Or was the belly cured too ? That looks delicious ! What kind of temps/humidity in the curing chamber ?
No, they were both cured. Typically I hold my curing chamber @ 50 or so F with approx 70% humidity.
Thanks . Product that looks like that has my mouth watering . Gonna have to upgrade my act in the meat processing department .
Did you build your curing chamber or purchase a commercial unit ?
DFitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DFitz »

I built it. Not too difficult but certain humidity requirements are necessary. Its indoors with central air. Adding humidity is easy enough. Removing humidity can be more difficult.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Dfitz that's gorgeous gonna have to try that on the next pigs I butcher. Damn that looks good. Good work, like TB said raising the bar a bit higher.
If I may I'm proud to be part of this group of people who are far more than just a bunch of shiners"proud of that" but it goes to show we all enjoy things a bit better than off the shelf. In fact we are above top shelf, quality 100%. Good job guys.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
scuba stiller
Swill Maker

Post by scuba stiller »

I feel so blessed to have y'alls experience to take with me into butchering my first pig-became a-Hog. Friends and pros coming together in the morning. HD has so much great information. Standing on the shoulders of giants feels safe.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Any body ever use corncobs for their smoke. I know some in the mountians did. Looking for some first hand expirance on the flavour compaired to common used woods.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Corncobs work great for smoking cured meat . I would think that they would work equally well for malted grains .
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

TB either you read my mind or talked to me for a few hoirs on the tellyfone
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

jedneck wrote:TB either you read my mind or talked to me for a few hoirs on the tellyfone
Musta read yur mind . Yu Know that I don't spend hours on the tellfone with unrepentant manufacturers of untaxed spirits . We did have a long conversation about horse handling , raisin kids , and gardening .
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

So after a year or so of being tortured by you guys, I finally got a smoker! For free no less. So is it like distilling where I should start easy or can I jump in? What do you suggest for firsts? I do like the pork shoulder bacon idea. And FMH's chuck roast, and and and..........it all looks good! Help please!
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

It's a dangerous road to travel. Does your kilt have an elastic waistband ?
Blah, blah, blah,........
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

No but I've got a couple of belt notches to go
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Ha ! Temporary at best. Invest in more leather.

BTDT.
Blah, blah, blah,........
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Roll your own , my friend . Curing has strict rules , much like distilling , related to temperatures and proportions to make a safe product . Smoking is a matter of taste . I rely on curing guides that focus on unrefrigerated storage once the curing is done . Many modern guides do not require enough cure for the meats to hang outside in ambient temperatures .
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Anything in particular you recomend Butch? Is there a forum or a book that will help?