1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
5 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
2 tablespoons fish sauce
6 tablespoons ponzu soy sauce
salt
pepper
sesame seeds

Directions
Slice the meat very thinly across the grain. Season the meat generously with salt and pepper and place in a bowl. Combine garlic, ginger, 3 tablespoons sesame oil, fish sauce, and ponzu in a bowl and whisk. Pour ¾ of the marinade over the meat. Reserve the rest of the marinade. Let marinate for 1 hour. Cut the asparagus into thirds or in half depending on how long it is; season with salt and pepper. Grill for just a couple of minutes on medium high on the stove top with a little sesame oil; just til you get a little char. Wrap 2 pieces of asparagus in the thinly sliced flank steak. Try to wrap the meat so that it is not overlapping. Heat a sauté pan over medium high heat with 1-2 tablespoons of sesame oil. Once heated, add the steak to the pan. Sauté for about 1-2 minutes per side. You may have to work in batches. Once cooked, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with the reserved marinade.
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Flank Steak wrapped asparagus

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Thanks for posting Bushman. Yum,....

Kroger wants 10+ per pound for a cut that has become trendy in certain areas and my butcher has a 70 pound minimum order for FS,

What has the world come to ???

I have a small morsel in the freezer that cost over 20 bucks. Guess I'll save it for the second coming of Christ or take it to a pawn shop if times get tight.

:lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :wink:
Blah, blah, blah,........
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

The recipe sounds good, but yikes! Over $10 bucks/pound for what used to be either stew meat or else tossed into the ground beef pile seems a bit high priced. If I'm going to let the moths out of my wallet to spend that much on a chunk of beef, it's gonna be a Rib Eye steak, not a flank steak. YMMV
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

I order the 70 pound minimum over the phone and show up with the 45 and a ski mask !!!
Blah, blah, blah,........
Reverend Newer
Swill Maker

Post by Reverend Newer »

The rise in beef price like flank steak is insane, I hear tell the japanese are buying our beef so my briskets double in price in 10 years? not sustainable... cannot trade beef for plasticology in my opinion. keep yer wagu beef and we'll keep ours local hopefully. weuu!
spiritually taxed circa 1791