EZ pulled Chicken (tastes like pulled pork)

Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

kiwi Bruce
Distiller

EZ pulled Chicken (tastes like pulled pork)

Post by kiwi Bruce »

The Holidays are coming up and if you have a tribe of family members to feed, then this will go a long way to help your time and budget. Go to Walmart and get two ten pound bags of chicken legs and thighs. These are only 48 cents a pound, so $4.80 a bag. Throw them on the grill, on low, no salt or anything, but put them on the second level, with foil between them and the flames, so they don't catch fire. COOK THEM! ! When they are done take them off the grill and let them cool. Remove the skin and put the whole 20 pounds into a slow cooker with a half cup of red wine and a cup of water and cook all night on low. In the morning pull the chicken off the bones. It's so well done it will just fall off the bones. Add salt, pepper and liquid smoke to taste. Serve with bread rolls and a good barbecue sauce. Will feed twenty plus adults. This tastes just like pulled pork, but at a fraction of the cost.
Last edited by kiwi Bruce on Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
gemcutter
Novice

Re: EZ pulled Chicken (tastes like pulled pork)

Post by gemcutter »

48cents a pound!!!! nothing that cheap in california.....99 is considered chheap here
Monkeyman88
Rumrunner

Post by Monkeyman88 »

Jeeze. Lucky to find chicken here for less then $10 a kg. So that's about $5 a lb.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Christmas time is always tight. Gonna give it a go. Thanks Bruce.

My wife says she paid 78 cents per pound for skinless breasts at WinCo today.
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

kiwi Bruce wrote:Serve with bread rolls and a good barbecue sauce. Will feed twenty plus adults. This tastes just like pulled pork, but at a fraction of the cost.
HERESY !!!I say !!! HERESY !!!!

Stone the the infidel !!!

Pigs of the world united !!! Chikkens circle yer wagons.!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Blah, blah, blah,........
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I have seen these bags go as low as 29 cents a lb but its been a long time. I have seen them as high as 99 cents. I'd say .49-.69 are where they stay most of the time around here. I like you idea KIwi. In the past when I buy legs quarters I sharpen the knife and bone 10 lb of chicken. It usually takes about 15 minutes. Some times I bone the legs some times I leave the bone it. I have 2 large cast iron skillets that I usually fry it in. Usually I can fry 10lbs and put it in a zip lock bag 10lbs will feed 2 people most all week. I make chicken broth with bones. I think I just got a new way to cook the chicken. Thanks KIwi. I think anything you can cook in the slow cooker taste better because you have to suffer from the good smells it puts off for hours and hours. I am gonna back it up to 10 lbs. My crock pot is large but not that large.
Condensifier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Condensifier »

They have these bags of chicken at Albertson's too. I got some the other day for 65 cents per pound. They were not on sale though. Sometimes I get them for 39 cents per pound.

I'm gonna try this recipe. Looks good. :thumbup:
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

Seems like a lot of time, work, and wasted fuel, (or electricity,) to first grill them and then to follow that with cooking them all night long in a slow cooker. Just stick them in a pressure cooker for 30-40 minutes on high pressure, and you will have the tenderest and juiciest, fall off the bone meat possible. I love to cook, but I don't want to make something as simple as chicken parts for two days. It also works real well for a pork shoulder to make pulled pork the same way.
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I think the beauty of the EZ chicken is it's not expensive, it tastes great, and it will feed a small tribe.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

This sounds great actually! I love shredded chicken!!
long live Oldsmobile Aleros