Smoking Shrimp/Prawns

Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Smoking Shrimp/Prawns

Post by Bushman »

Yesterday I smoked some shrimp and my recipe used is below. For a bit more spice add an additional 1/2 tsp. Garlic powder.

Smoking Shrimp
Start up the smoker and set it to a temperature of 225F.
Regarding your choice of wood to smoke, I use a milder wood. I prefer to use alder or fruit woods for seafood and they also work great for shrimp.
Since shrimp are small and may fall through the smoker rack, I use a smoking mat however you could line the rack with a sheet of aluminum foil. Poke some small holes in the foil which allows the smoke flow.
Place the shrimp on the aluminum foil or mat and smoke until they are cooked through. I typically find that 25-30 minutes is plenty of time but you might want to check it at 20 min. for the shrimp to cook through. You want to be careful not to overcook the shrimp as it can dry out and make the shrimp tough.
Once the shrimp is cooked through, they are ready to serve. These are great served hot and even tasty chilled as well!

Prep Time 5 mins
Cook Time 25-30 mins
Total Time 35 mins

Mix ingredients listed minus the shrimp in a bowl, add shrimp and fold lightly until mixed. Store in refrigerator while bringing smoker to temperature.

Ingredients
* 1 pound fresh shrimp, peeled
* 2 tbsp oil
* 1 tbsp dried oregano
* 1 tbsp dried basil
* 1/2 tsp garlic powder
* 1 tsp salt
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Re: Smoking Shrimp/Prawns

Post by kiwi Bruce »

+1 That sounds bloody AMAZING ! I have a "Little Chief" electric smoker...I'll give that a go ! Shrimp Lijon with smoked shrimp..YUM !
Getting hung up all day on smiles