make some bread...what else are you going to do...

Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

make some bread...what else are you going to do...

Postby The Booze Pipe » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:33 am

I just made a loaf of this and it turns out pretty awesome! Making bread while doing those all-day distillations is a great idea. I was re-inspired by Badmotivator to make bread again.

In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and yeast. Add water and stir until a shaggy dough forms. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rise at room temperature for 10 hours.
Preheat oven to 450ºF. Place a 4 qt. Dutch oven into the preheated oven, without lid, for 30 minutes.
While Dutch oven heats, turn dough onto a well-floured surface and form into a ball with floured hands. Cover dough loosely with plastic and let rest for 30 minutes. With floured hands, place the dough into heated Dutch oven.
Cover Dutch oven with its lid and bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake for 12 minutes more.
Remove loaf from Dutch oven and cool completely before slicing.

https://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes/how ... san-bread/
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:00 pm
Location: PNW

Re: make some bread...what else are you going to do...

Postby raketemensch » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:28 am

My wife and I have been working together on perfecting sourdough. I have 2 starters going — one is just regular flour and a simple protocol, the other I started with cider instead of water to avoid an early, stinky, “awkward” stage, which worked out really well. I also feed that one corn flour once in a while,which has given it a distinct smell and taste.

My wife has her own starter going, with which she has followed a very strict protocol of weights of flour to add/remove on specific days. It’s very good, but my corn/cider one has more flavor.

It’s been nice to get her pulled into a fermentation project that fits well with her baking hobby, and man, is it ever nice to have fresh sourdough.
User avatar
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 1953
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:10 pm
Location: Tralfamadore

Re: make some bread...what else are you going to do...

Postby The Booze Pipe » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:01 am

Okay so I got a starter going, thanks to Badmotivator for sharing. Using rye flour.
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:00 pm
Location: PNW

Re: make some bread...what else are you going to do...

Postby Twisted Brick » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:35 pm

I've had great luck with sourdough in a cast iron dutch oven, ala the Tartine basic loaf. Gotta love those fermented products!
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields
User avatar
Twisted Brick
Swill Maker
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:54 pm
Location: Craigh Na Dun

Re: make some bread...what else are you going to do...

Postby Badmotivator » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:40 pm

Twisted Brick wrote:I've had great luck with sourdough in a cast iron dutch oven, ala the Tartine basic loaf. Gotta love those fermented products!
The Tartine Bread book helped me quite a lot too. I’ve made their sourdough croissants a couple of times too. They’re stupid good, but a lot of work.
User avatar
Badmotivator
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:01 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: make some bread...what else are you going to do...

Postby dukethebeagle120 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:15 pm

throw some wheat malt in there
makes a great french style bread :thumbup:
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:08 am
Location: french canada with good vermont neighbors

Re: make some bread...what else are you going to do...

Postby jb-texshine » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:32 pm

The Booze Pipe wrote:I just made a loaf of this and it turns out pretty awesome! Making bread while doing those all-day distillations is a great idea. I was re-inspired by Badmotivator to make bread again.

In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and yeast. Add water and stir until a shaggy dough forms. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rise at room temperature for 10 hours.
Preheat oven to 450ºF. Place a 4 qt. Dutch oven into the preheated oven, without lid, for 30 minutes.
While Dutch oven heats, turn dough onto a well-floured surface and form into a ball with floured hands. Cover dough loosely with plastic and let rest for 30 minutes. With floured hands, place the dough into heated Dutch oven.
Cover Dutch oven with its lid and bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake for 12 minutes more.
Remove loaf from Dutch oven and cool completely before slicing.

https://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes/how ... san-bread/

Either we are in the same fb group or you had the same idea as two other guys today...
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!


Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
jb-texshine
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 3032
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:03 am
Location: Texan living in Missouri

Re: make some bread...what else are you going to do...

Postby raketemensch » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:14 pm

I bought my wife a cast iron Dutch oven for Christmas, so far it’s paying off really well...
User avatar
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 1953
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:10 pm
Location: Tralfamadore

Re: make some bread...what else are you going to do...

Postby freefall » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:12 am

I could use some pointers on getting a good loaf of sourdough.
I only have regular meatloaf size pans to work with.
My starter (formerly called Larry. Then renamed to The Borg after I almost killed it and mixed in some rye to get the natural yeastie counts back up) has croaked.
I am wanting to do another starter. But really need a good recipe. My last few attempts gave me a much too dense loaf. I did a double rise.
freefall
Swill Maker
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 12:57 am

Re: make some bread...what else are you going to do...

Postby The Booze Pipe » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:38 pm

jb-texshine wrote:
The Booze Pipe wrote:I just made a loaf of this and it turns out pretty awesome! Making bread while doing those all-day distillations is a great idea. I was re-inspired by Badmotivator to make bread again.

In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and yeast. Add water and stir until a shaggy dough forms. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rise at room temperature for 10 hours.
Preheat oven to 450ºF. Place a 4 qt. Dutch oven into the preheated oven, without lid, for 30 minutes.
While Dutch oven heats, turn dough onto a well-floured surface and form into a ball with floured hands. Cover dough loosely with plastic and let rest for 30 minutes. With floured hands, place the dough into heated Dutch oven.
Cover Dutch oven with its lid and bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake for 12 minutes more.
Remove loaf from Dutch oven and cool completely before slicing.

https://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes/how ... san-bread/

Either we are in the same fb group or you had the same idea as two other guys today...


Yeah, totally had the same as idea!
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:00 pm
Location: PNW

Re: make some bread...what else are you going to do...

Postby TDick » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:43 pm

:evil:
oh MAN!
used to make this a few years ago and it was oooh !

Now I got to do it again!

Also for family "fun", we would make pizza dough, a different yeast packet, and would get fresh balls of mozzarella at the grocery.
Enough for each family member to make their own pizza. Gotta say fresh dough with fresh mozz and basil is pretty good with a cold beer.
Margherita Pizza.jpg

:lol:
User avatar
TDick
Rumrunner
 
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:25 pm
Location: Deep South

Re: make some bread...what else are you going to do...

Postby The Baker » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:11 pm

TDick wrote::evil:
oh MAN!
used to make this a few years ago and it was oooh !

Now I got to do it again!

Also for family "fun", we would make pizza dough, a different yeast packet, and would get fresh balls of mozzarella at the grocery.
Enough for each family member to make their own pizza. Gotta say fresh dough with fresh mozz and basil is pretty good with a cold beer.
Margherita Pizza.jpg

:lol:


My son has a big brick pizza oven in his BIG entertainment area.
He brings pizza dough home from our bakery and everyone makes their own pizza.

It's great.

Geoff
The Baker
The Baker
Distiller
 
Posts: 1828
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:48 am
Location: Northern Victoria, Australia

Re: make some bread...what else are you going to do...

Postby TDick » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:56 pm

The Baker wrote:
TDick wrote::evil:
oh MAN! ....
Also for family "fun", we would make pizza dough, a different yeast packet,
:lol:


My son has a big brick pizza oven in his BIG entertainment area.
He brings pizza dough home from our bakery and everyone makes their own pizza.
It's great.
Geoff

I'm hungry now!
Since you ARE "The Baker" I have a question. I mentioned Pizza Yeast. Is that just instant yeast, or is there something else added in?
If I'm gonna do some Dutch Oven bread to let proof overnight, any reason not to use same dough for the pizza?
I see this happening in the near future.
:D
User avatar
TDick
Rumrunner
 
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:25 pm
Location: Deep South

Re: make some bread...what else are you going to do...

Postby The Baker » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:33 am

We just use the same yeast as we use for the bread; baker's yeast.

Compressed blocks but dried would be fine. It's just what is at hand in the bakery.

In fact he started with bread dough but now uses a special recipe with some oil in it, don't know the details, anyway that is much better.

Geoff
The Baker
The Baker
Distiller
 
Posts: 1828
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:48 am
Location: Northern Victoria, Australia

Re: make some bread...what else are you going to do...

Postby The Booze Pipe » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:53 am

freefall wrote:I could use some pointers on getting a good loaf of sourdough.
I only have regular meatloaf size pans to work with.
My starter (formerly called Larry. Then renamed to The Borg after I almost killed it and mixed in some rye to get the natural yeastie counts back up) has croaked.
I am wanting to do another starter. But really need a good recipe. My last few attempts gave me a much too dense loaf. I did a double rise.

I'm new to fermented bread my self. You might just Google up a few recipes to try or combine. Here's one
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes ... ter-recipe
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:00 pm
Location: PNW

Re: make some bread...what else are you going to do...

Postby The Booze Pipe » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:56 am

Well I just made up a sour dough as per the original posted recipe. I hope it works out!
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:00 pm
Location: PNW

Re: make some bread...what else are you going to do...

Postby freefall » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:46 pm

:thumbup: :thumbup:
The Booze Pipe wrote:Well I just made up a sour dough as per the original posted recipe. I hope it works out!

And Thanks booze pipe
freefall
Swill Maker
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 12:57 am

Re: make some bread...what else are you going to do...

Postby Twisted Brick » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:28 pm

Oh man! You guys are making me hungry!

Back in 2010 I stumbled across a pizza-oven site (just like I found HD) and got hooked. It was my first time working with stone and brick, but managed to build this in the backyard. Stopped charting pies after 300. Now I spend all my free time mashing, stripping and cutting!
Attachments
IMG_0204 copy.jpg
_MG_3663 copy.jpg
Margarita reduced.jpg
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields
User avatar
Twisted Brick
Swill Maker
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:54 pm
Location: Craigh Na Dun


Return to Favorite Food Recipes



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest