Venison Carpaccio

Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Venison Carpaccio

Post by The Booze Pipe »

This is a great way to get yourself out of a food/cooking rut. I used a package of back strap(loin or fillet mignon) for this recipe. It turned out ok, I think it could be much better if I had the correct herbs. Also, I don't recommend serving it frozen, but at room temp. The third thing, I would cover the roast in a fair amount of kosher salt before slicing to serve.

https://www.theselfishconservationist.c ... -carpaccio" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

venison eye of round trimmed of all fat and silver skin
1/4 cup of finely chopped rosemary fresh
1.4 cup of finely chopped thyme fresh
1/4 cup of coarse freshly ground black pepper
1 cup of arugula
fresh shaved Parmesan
capers
olive oil
balsamic brown mustard drizzling sauce
coarse kosher salt

Trim and thoroughly dry the venison. Finely chop the rosemary and thyme and roll the venison in them. Massage the herbs into the meat making sure to cover all sides. Next, roll the venison again in the coarse black pepper, when done, the venison should be barely visible under the herbs and pepper. It is important to note not to use any salt at this point. It will draw moisture to the surface of the meat and potentially dry it out by the time it is ready to serve.

Now I realize this is a raw dish but heat a skillet with a splash of oil to a ripping hot temp. We will not be cooking the venison, simply sealing it. One last insurance policy to shock and kill any surface contamination. This step is not necessary if the venison is of the utmost quality and freshness but is often employed in restaurants that serve carpaccio. Place the venison in the heated skillet. Roll the meat slowly to touch all surfaces to the heated skillet. If the meat contracts or swells you either left the meat on the heat too long or did not roll the meat fast enough. The entire time in the pan shouldn't be much longer than thirty seconds. Remove the meat from the skillet and allow to cool completley.

Once the meat has completely cooled, wrap in saran wrap and place in the freezer. You are aiming for a soft Popsicle consistency so that it is partially frozen but not so frozen you cannot slice with a good chef knife or deli slicer. Slice the partially frozen venison paper thin and plate them flat on the dish it is to be served on. Place the plated venison back in the freezer to chill the plate and partially "frost" the meat to the plate. This should take about thirty minutes but can be left in for a few hours until ready to serve.

When ready to serve salt the meat to personal taste. Drizzle the meat with olive oil and balsamic mustard sauce ( I used a store bought variety but it can be easily made by using balsamic vinegar and brown mustard whisked together and reduced over low heat). Place the arugula in the center of the plate and top with shaved Parmesan, capers, and more olive oil and drizzle sauce. Garnish with some extra pepper and salt and a sprig of rosemary. This makes a fantastic appetizer for adventurous dinner guests or an excellent dinner for two.
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
modular 3" CCVM copper&stainless w/offset gin head
JohnsMyName
Bootlegger

Re: Venison Carpaccio

Post by JohnsMyName »

I know I'm a few months late on this, but WOW! Looks great, will try this fall, thanks.