12 canned whole, peeled tomatoes, seeded and roughly chopped
1/2 cup capers
1/2 cup skinned, whole almonds, roughly chopped
1/2 cup sliced basil
1 teaspoon chopped thyme
1 teaspoon sugar
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 (6-ounce) halibut fillets
12 littleneck clams (or more to your liking) I used butter clams.

Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until lightly browned. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, capers, almonds, basil, thyme, sugar and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes. (The sauce can be prepared 1 day ahead.)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Put the almond-tomato sauce in the bottom of an ovenproof casserole dish. Lightly brush halibut with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the halibut on top of the sauce in the center of the casserole dish, and arrange the clams around the outer edge. Bake uncovered until the halibut is cooked through and the clams have opened, about 15 to 20 minutes.

Yield: 4 servings
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Halibut

Post by still_stirrin »

Yummmm. I’m coming to your house for supper! :clap:
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
okie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by okie »

What's up with Halibut? I went to four different stores to buy some and three had none. The one that did have some had frozen small pieces in a bag that weighed 10 oz for 21.95
Never try to argue or reason with idiots and morons, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

okie wrote:What's up with Halibut? I went to four different stores to buy some and three had none. The one that did have some had frozen small pieces in a bag that weighed 10 oz for 21.95
Halibut in our stores run close to $25 a lb. which means I caught just over $1000 worth fillet.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Bushman wrote:
okie wrote:What's up with Halibut? I went to four different stores to buy some and three had none. The one that did have some had frozen small pieces in a bag that weighed 10 oz for 21.95
Halibut in our stores run close to $25 a lb. which means I caught just over $1000 worth fillet.
When you can bring home 100# of Halibut Fillets a trip to Alaska becomes more reasonable.
Not to mention of course the trip itself is worth the price of admission.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

Halibut YUMMMMMMMM

i like it better than salmon. I get it from friends in Bering Sea villages. cant be beat.

:D
She was just a moonshiner,
But he loved her Still
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Rastus wrote:Halibut YUMMMMMMMM

i like it better than salmon. I get it from friends in Bering Sea villages. cant be beat.

The advantage of halibut over salmon is the many different ways you can prepare it.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Bushman wrote:

The advantage of halibut over salmon is the many different ways you can prepare it.
I have smoked it a couple ways, prefer Salmon for smoking.
Otherwise absolutely!

My kids favorite is:

Box of Cheese Nips (or Cheezits)
Eggs
Halibut cut into about 3/4" thick strips

Pulverize the cheese crackers
Beat the eggs
Dry the fish with paper towels then dip in eggs and then bread with the cheese crackers
Drop in hot oil (I prefer Peanut oil for this) and cook until it starts to brown, pull out and let excess oil drip off on something like a cookie sheet with the wire rack
Serve with tartar sauce or whatever they like (kids like ketchup)

This stuff is amazingly good, the crackers are salty so we usually don't add any salt.

For a real treat get some Halibut cheeks!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Bushman wrote: The advantage of halibut over salmon is the many different ways you can prepare it.
+1

A thick, meaty grilled halibut steak is hard to beat...
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

Bushman wrote:

You got that rightI like kippered salmon, and around here they dry it with a little smoke, but its more like Jerky. thats ok.

But halibut has many ways to do it, soups are always good in the winter, my wifey puts her filipino twist on it and its always good whether sweet and sour or battered and Dipped in katsup... :D
She was just a moonshiner,
But he loved her Still
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Rastus, I commercial fished in the Bering Sea for 8 years back in the 70's. If you go into a restaurant that serves fish and chips and they give you a choice of cod or halibut I guarantee you will pay a lot more for the halibut.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Bushman wrote:Halibut and Littleneck Clams in Almond Tomato Sauce

1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for brushing the fish
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
Pinch hot pepper flakes
1 cup sliced Spanish onion
12 canned whole, peeled tomatoes, seeded and roughly chopped
1/2 cup capers
1/2 cup skinned, whole almonds, roughly chopped
1/2 cup sliced basil
1 teaspoon chopped thyme
1 teaspoon sugar
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 (6-ounce) halibut fillets
12 littleneck clams (or more to your liking) I used butter clams.

Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until lightly browned. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, capers, almonds, basil, thyme, sugar and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes. (The sauce can be prepared 1 day ahead.)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Put the almond-tomato sauce in the bottom of an ovenproof casserole dish. Lightly brush halibut with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the halibut on top of the sauce in the center of the casserole dish, and arrange the clams around the outer edge. Bake uncovered until the halibut is cooked through and the clams have opened, about 15 to 20 minutes.

Yield: 4 servings
I have done a similar prep for halibut but instead of putting it in the oven I put the pan on the webber with apple wood as the fuel - adds a nice smoky flavor to it

OVZ
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

That sounds good OVZ. I might try some smoking in the BBQ with my A-maze-N. Haven't done a lot of smoke flavor with my halibut but got lot of halibut to experiment with.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

+2 for Halibut in a pan (I use cast iron) with some oil, a little butter, sea salt & fresh black pepper out on the grill with wood smoke.
Not enough to really get it smoky, just enough for the flavor of the wood smoke to be there but not over power the fish.
When it's Salmon I like it on a plank, alder is really nice and I make the coals hot enough to burn the edges of the wood giving the fish more smoke.
This is making me hungry for fish, guess I need to go out and see what's left in the freezer this morning!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

That halibut sounds good enough for Jehovah
[FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Bought "Zatarain's Fish Fri" and made Halibut & chips.
Wow so very good!
Normally I get a box of Cheezeits and crush them and dip in egg mixed with milk and dredge in the cheeze crackers and deep fry.
The Zatarain's was really good! Not really surprised since I've used several other of their products and have been very happy.
Definitely something I'll do again!
I'm really blessed to be able to take 4 or 5 pounds of really good halibut and fry it up like this, I don't take this for granted.
Cranky's spoonfeeding: