Spiced Rum Recipe

Forum to share your beverage recipes. Feel free to post recipes in this forum, they will be locked. Posts should have complete recipes with all ingredients and directions fully explained. Any comments or questions will have to be started under new topic. This forum is for family recipes or recipes that you have tried and want to share with others, relating to our hobby only.

Moderator: Site Moderator

407driver
Novice

Spiced Rum Recipe

Post by 407driver »

First, let me say that I LOVE rum. I like it clear, aged and also spiced. I have limited myself to only drinking what I produced to clear until recently. My washes are 1 gallon molasses to 5 gallons of water with 6 lbs white sugar. This ferments better than trying to use 2 gallons of molasses. I add 2 tsp of Gypsum, 2 tsp Citric Acid, 2 tsp DAP and DADY yeast.

I decided to try my hand at creating some spiced rum and, If I do say so myself, the results were quite excellent.

I started with 1/2 Gallon of clear rum in a 1 gallon bottle. to this I added:

1. 2 cinnamon sticks
2. (2) 3" slices of orange peel with the white pith removed from the inside
3. 1/4 tsp Allspice (didn't have any allspice berries, would have used 4)
4. 8 cloves
5. 10 black peppercorns
6. 2 slices fresh ginger about the size adn thickness of a quarter
7. 4 TBS Vanilla extract (didn't have a vanilla bean)
8. 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

I let this stand for 3 days, shaking it vigorously once per day. At the end of 3 days I filtered it thgough a coffee filter to remove any and all solids from it. It was VERY spiced and orangy tasting at this time.

Most spiced rum I find has some caramel in it to sweten it a bit and tone down the spicieness. I live in sugar country so I have something else to use instead, Cane Syrup. It is darker than caramel and not as sweet. I found that adding 1/2 cup to the 1/2 gallon added just the right balance of toning and sweetness.

I know that everyone does not like spiced rum but for those who do here this is. Try it, modify it and let me know what works best for you.