Grand Marnier

Forum to share your beverage recipes. Feel free to post recipes in this forum, they will be locked. Posts should have complete recipes with all ingredients and directions fully explained. Any comments or questions will have to be started under new topic. This forum is for family recipes or recipes that you have tried and want to share with others, relating to our hobby only.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Grand Marnier

Post by Bushman »

I was told that I have only shared this recipe in others threads and not here. So to keep things clean here it is.

Grand Marnier

Ingredients
1 liter 45% (90 proof) vodka/ neutral
The peel of 2 good size oranges
10 Tablespoons invert light brown sugar syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Add 1/4th cup raisins for 4 days
Agave syrup if needed at end for taste

Directions
Peel the oranges and using a micro planer remove the pith ( white stuff just inside the skin). You can cut it away as well as if you don't get all the pith it's not as bitter as lemon but the micro plane is much easier and really does a nice job of removing it.

Safety warning: If you don’t watch the following process the peels will catch fire in the oven.

Place peel white side down on a baking sheet and put under broil until the edges turn dark and just start to look like they are going to burn (when it gets close you have to keep a good eye as they catch fire fast). Turn over and brown the white side.

Add peel to spirits with some JD chips for color and leave for 2 weeks.

Prepare brown sugar:
2 cups light brown sugar
2/3 cup water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Bring mixture just to boil stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
(If you want thinner syrup you can add another 1/2 cup hot water at the end of simmer)

While sugar is still warm take 10 tablespoons out and add to spirit (the rest can be saved in a small mason jar for another batch).

Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract to spirit and stir or shake
Add 1/4th cup white raisins for 4 days

After 4 days you can serve or age longer on oak but I would remove the raisins as I left mine in longer which gave it a spicer taste.

I also added small amounts of Agave syrup before bottling and tasted it until I felt it was right for me.