Your review of YOUTUBE distilling video's

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

shadylane
Master of Distillation

Your review of YOUTUBE distilling video's

Post by shadylane »

Let us know of any good video's about home distilling.

There's many terrible video's out there.
Here's one of the good ones. :wink:
"Still it" makes many video tutorials that I find to be accurate and well presented.
Last edited by shadylane on Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jstroke
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Your review of YOUTUBE distilling video's

Post by Jstroke »

Agreed, he does a nice job.
If in doubt leave it out.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

shadylane wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:13 pm Here's one of the good ones.
Did you mean to post a link to one of the better ones Shady.......or are you saying that all of them are good?
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:18 pm
shadylane wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:13 pm Here's one of the good ones.
Did you mean to post a link to one of the better ones Shady.......or are you saying that all of them are good?
All of them I've seen so far are good.

https://www.youtube.com/c/StillIt/videos
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Well i imagine this will get interesting fast, here he says straight off the bat that if you use Turbo yeast and a T500 your going to make booze almost as good as other methods. Considering that a T500 owners manual doesn't even mention making cuts " just a small fores cut" I find that hard to believe. In fact Id say its pure bullshit, Ive made booze using a T500 and turbo yeast......Ive made booze using a 3 inch boka and shadys sugar shine.........in ten years Ive come to learn the difference between average , better and really damn good. Turbo + T500+ following the manufacturers instructions = a score of about 2 outta 10. I suppose at the end of the day it comes down to how fussy people are and how hard they want to try to make the best quality they can.

shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:36 pm Well i imagine this will get interesting fast, here he says straight off the bat that if you use Turbo yeast and a T500 your going to make booze almost as good as other methods.

Don't get your panties in a wad. :lol:
Given some experience, turbo yeast and a T500, can make booze almost as good as other methods.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I'd rather read your review of it than watch it.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

He does fine.
He's doing his best to cover all of the bases.
My issue is that he is endorsing "settling" for a lesser outcome. And I understand why. People are going to go that route. They just will.

It's just that it simply is not that much harder to do better than the turbo "program".

It matters not. He's fine.
It's all gonna come out in the ( laundry) wash as they say.
Hobbyists that care and are not lazy will find there way.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

He's a good guy. Like all the rest of us he made mistakes along the way. I think one important thing about his collection of videos is that he allowed us to watch him learn. He started out as a novice distiller on a shoestring budget with nothing more than beer brewing experience going into it. He has become a competent distiller with a passion for passing it on to others.

His biggest screw up was hooking up with George. But, like I said, we've all screwed up at one time or another.

Bearded and Board is another good channel to watch. He and Jesse (Stillit) have also collaborated on a few projects.

The only channel that I would absolutely warn against is George's Barley & Hops. The man is a complete charlatan. Hundreds, if not thousands of novice distillers have been led into a dark hole of misinformation by him. I would rank him down there with the West Coast Exterminator.

Posted with others.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Jesse seems like a good dude. He’s definitely not pretentious and it’s obvious he holds the HD in high regards. I appreciate the time and energy he’s put into the hobby

+1 on the Bearded and Bored Channel
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

The best thing about Jesse's videos is the parts where he stops and continues with a later edit, say something to the effect of "okay, I completey screwed this up here. And this is how."

That takes a lot of gumption to go back and say yes, I screwed up, this is what I did, and this is how you learn from it. So sure....definitely mistakes along the way (we all have) but he learns from them and shares that experience with others.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Still it is great, although I think this forum is of a much higher standard than youtube. Personally I have posted some videos on spirits (yes, my stupid videos) but my level is not that high (honestly) but the thing that worries me is the fact that where I live the distillation is illegal so I upload videos that are generally "tolerable" .
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

dunluce wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:07 pm The best thing about Jesse's videos is the parts where he stops and continues with a later edit, say something to the effect of "okay, I completey screwed this up here. And this is how."
+1
VOLRATH86
Novice

Post by VOLRATH86 »

of course nobody is gonna out him, but he is definitely still scrolling around on here lol..... in fact one of yall may be him! lol I will say this though that through many all grain trials and tribulations and drinking though a firehose on this site, jesse's videos are some of the only ones that gave me some semblance of an idea of what shit is supposed to look like as I am quite the visual learner. Also in terms of making due with what you have until you get your program together and making a decent dram in the mean time works out great and I can get on board with the emotional response that it creates when tasting that first drinkable spirit.
hypnopooper
Bootlegger

Post by hypnopooper »

VOLRATH86 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:24 am of course nobody is gonna out him, but he is definitely still scrolling around on here lol..... in fact one of yall may be him! lol I will say this though that through many all grain trials and tribulations and drinking though a firehose on this site, jesse's videos are some of the only ones that gave me some semblance of an idea of what shit is supposed to look like as I am quite the visual learner. Also in terms of making due with what you have until you get your program together and making a decent dram in the mean time works out great and I can get on board with the emotional response that it creates when tasting that first drinkable spirit.
There is nothing to out. Jesse has always been transparent on this site on who he is and making the video's. This is him discussing the ideas for his YouTube channel at https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64745.

I think overall his videos are good and rather well informed for individuals that don't want to weed out details from this forum(which I believe is the absolute best resource for home distillers and most pro's until we get into equipment conversations), Jesse definitely tends to avoid unsafe recommendations and I believe he is trying to be a "good" source of information compared to others.
miletwo
Novice

Post by miletwo »

He might be lurking but he's definitely not posting. I haven't seen anything from him for over a year. I suspect he's putting his focus into the Patreon and YouTube comments. I can't imagine he has a ton of free time with a weekly content drop... dude man is BIZZZY!

Honestly though... I hadn't run my still in over a year until a few months ago after moving a couple of times and forgetting about it... but caught the bug after the algorithm recommended his channel. Now I'm a Patreon and back to making the yum-yums and loving it. Whatever promotes the craft as a legitimate hobby is a win in my book.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Looks like one of our members is making video's and sharing some of the info found here.
We've often talked about doing that. But most of us are too lazy and/or computer illiterate.
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

shadylane wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:08 pm Looks like one of our members is making video's and sharing some of the info found here.
We've often talked about doing that. But most of us are too lazy and/or computer illiterate.
Good on him for doing it, I'm pretty computer illiterate myself. He seems to be spreading the good word.
Unrelated side note, some of the best corn whiskey I ever tasted came from a man that was plain old illiterate.
Plain ole pot rig.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Last time Jesse was on here was 15 June, 2020. His videos are getting better, and he's having fun. Gotta hand it to him, he's making money doing things he enjoys.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

The amount of time it takes to edit and produce a decent youtube video ignoring actually capturing the right stuff on 'film' is crazy. Just removing the stuttering, ums, pregnant pauses, leveling the audio, and adding transitions can take ages. Getting nice b-roll, telling a compelling story and by the way, providing useful information all the while entertaining a bunch of trolls is no small feat.

I have been playing around with Davinci Resolve and my Sony a6300 for the last 6 months and slowly learning. 15 minutes of video is a week of work and hours of retakes for those of us who aren't natural in front of the camera.

Jesse is a videographer who chose Distilling as a medium to make videos in. I think he makes excellent videos. I am less excited about his "character" in the videos after having watched all of them but it definitely works. What I see as a challenge for youtube distilling videos is that once you have made all the beginner videos you start either repeating yourself or you need to begin making advanced videos.

Youtube distillers haven't really taken that next step and are mostly just repeating the initial processes that they have already learned. They are satisfied with the outcome. I think there is a lot of science, engineering, welding, plumbing, chemistry, biology, math that could be explored through video using distilling as a platform that is beyond the interest of the current crop of youtube videographers. They are driven by pushing out frequent videos, maximizing subscribers, and being popular.

I would love to see master distillers and process engineers breaking down the details and choices that you can make in making the process both efficient and tasty.
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

New one I found the other day - Little Miss Brewbird: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1vGih ... HdNzfe5eBg

More on the commercial side but still good.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Single Malt Yinzer wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:36 am New one I found the other day - Little Miss Brewbird: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1vGih ... HdNzfe5eBg

More on the commercial side but still good.
Youtube recommended one of her videos on gin maing so I watched it. The idea was interesting (there's a distillery in the UK, London I think, where you can go to make your own craft gin. They guide you through the recipe, choosing botanicals and porportions, and then you load it all into a lovely little copper alembic and run it.) But the little pieces of silicone tubing on the output of the alembic to guide the distillate into the collecting flask made me twitch a little bit. I was very jealous of their botanicals shelf though.

I need to watch some of her other videos to see what the rest of the content is like.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Deplorable wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:20 pm Last time Jesse was on here was 15 June, 2020. His videos are getting better, and he's having fun. Gotta hand it to him, he's making money doing things he enjoys.
Being from Oz, I have trouble understanding him! :D
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:36 pm Well i imagine this will get interesting fast, here he says straight off the bat that if you use Turbo yeast and a T500 your going to make booze almost as good as other methods. Considering that a T500 owners manual doesn't even mention making cuts " just a small fores cut" I find that hard to believe. In fact Id say its pure bullshit, Ive made booze using a T500 and turbo yeast......Ive made booze using a 3 inch boka and shadys sugar shine.........in ten years Ive come to learn the difference between average , better and really damn good. Turbo + T500+ following the manufacturers instructions = a score of about 2 outta 10. I suppose at the end of the day it comes down to how fussy people are and how hard they want to try to make the best quality they can.

The one thing I will say in defence of the T500 is that you can set it up and get going quickly. I have mucked around with the setup a little bit and I don't use Turbo Yeast, I just use TTSV for neutral now. More significantly, moving to a larger or upgraded still is a bit difficult for me, accessing 4" copper is nigh on impossible unless I get it from some overseas sight, and the bigger stills etc are going to need me to increase the amps on my wiring system so until we renovate the house, I think I am stuck with it!

Downside of course is it uses a bucketload of water for condensing.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Im not bagging T500s. they can make an excellent product if you use the right wash , run the still the right way and strip it before running.......Ive done it and know that for a fact.
My gripe was more about him promoting the use of turbo yeast, IMO it is shit......Ive used it also.
I guess hes unlikely to bad mouth any product by any manufacturer that he can potentially make money from.
Call me skeptical if you will, but that is the ultimate goal isn't it ? to make money?
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:04 pm Im not bagging T500s. they can make an excellent product if you use the right wash , run the still the right way and strip it before running.......Ive done it and know that for a fact.
My gripe was more about him promoting the use of turbo yeast, IMO it is shit......Ive used it also.
I guess hes unlikely to bad mouth any product by any manufacturer that he can potentially make money from.
Call me skeptical if you will, but that is the ultimate goal isn't it ? to make money?
Ok, from now on you will be known as "Skeptical Bill" :D

I agree on the Turbo, it was my worst spirit of all the different washes I have tried.

I also agree on using the T500, it is all I've got and I've made some reasonable neutral from it. I know it is not as good as the neutral they use at Archie Rose, or for that matter, any other commercial distillery, although I am waiting to see if my all grain gives me that light neutral that I smell in the commercial spirits.

BTW I don't want to watch the video again, I did think he said it was paid, in fact, I will double check to make sure and get back to you.

Keep safe and dry Skeptical Bill! 8)
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

NormandieStill wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:41 am I need to watch some of her other videos to see what the rest of the content is like.
I don't. I part watched a couple and that was enough for me to know that their videos weren't something that I would recommend to a newbie to watch.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

NZChris wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:06 am
NormandieStill wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:41 am I need to watch some of her other videos to see what the rest of the content is like.
I don't. I part watched a couple and that was enough for me to know that their videos weren't something that I would recommend to a newbie to watch.
I’d agree (re: Miss Brewbird) as far as for any practical how-to for the home distiller, but I enjoy her perspective and the glimpse into the commercial side of things.

More of a “put it on while I’m doing something else” channel than a “put it on and study every word” channel.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

This popped up while searching for “vodka distilleries” on YouTube. And Holy Shit there’s a friggin’ “flute”.
OD helped to revolutionize the game and bring it mainstream, whether he wanted to or not.
This video is really a testament to how much any one of us can inspire the other and contribute to home distilling and stilling in general.

Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

So what exactly is the misinformation from George on Barley and Hops?

I dont watch his videos, mostly cause they are so voting I'd rather have a root canal. But the fee I've watched seemed at the very least, informative.
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"