Basic Distillation Calculator App

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

monstersX
Novice

Re: Basic Distillation Calculator App

Post by monstersX »

So I've been using this as I do a batch of rum, and I'm really happy with it.

Of note, I can also distribute it as a desktop app, which has been handy.

I'm developing a batch diary, with structured input, so types of notes to add to a batch

SG reading
free text
temperature
addition (ingredient/amount)

so sg readings /temperature would be able to be reported on with a graph or some such.. and of course export to a file of some sort for your records..

If anyone has any thoughts on that I'd be interested

I have the update with SG calibration temp as an input, I'll probably release that today.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I really appreciate the work .. my only request is to integrate a liquor calculator(liquid mixture, alcohol, sugar) with output quantity and resulting alcohol degree. I know I said it and I believe it would be useful, since those who practice distillation often also creates liqueurs. I created a post about how usually calculate all this.
monstersX
Novice

Post by monstersX »

Great, can you point me at that post?

Bill.
Demy wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:06 am I really appreciate the work .. my only request is to integrate a liquor calculator(liquid mixture, alcohol, sugar) with output quantity and resulting alcohol degree. I know I said it and I believe it would be useful, since those who practice distillation often also creates liqueurs. I created a post about how usually calculate all this.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

monstersX wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:22 am Great, can you point me at that post?

Bill.
Demy wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:06 am I really appreciate the work .. my only request is to integrate a liquor calculator(liquid mixture, alcohol, sugar) with output quantity and resulting alcohol degree. I know I said it and I believe it would be useful, since those who practice distillation often also creates liqueurs. I created a post about how usually calculate all this.
viewtopic.php?f=105&t=85467 Thank you very much for your interest
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

monstersX wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:58 am So I've been using this as I do a batch of rum, and I'm really happy with it.

Of note, I can also distribute it as a desktop app, which has been handy.

I'm developing a batch diary, with structured input, so types of notes to add to a batch

SG reading
free text
temperature
addition (ingredient/amount)

so sg readings /temperature would be able to be reported on with a graph or some such.. and of course export to a file of some sort for your records..

If anyone has any thoughts on that I'd be interested

I have the update with SG calibration temp as an input, I'll probably release that today.
I'm always looking through my millions of photo's on my phone for the liquid/vapor ethanol phase diagram and the oak toast temp infographic...
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
monstersX
Novice

Post by monstersX »

There you go, so for example adding a photo would be good, I have exactly that in my notes actually,
jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:06 am

I'm always looking through my millions of photo's on my phone for the liquid/vapor ethanol phase diagram and the oak toast temp infographic...
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

Just downloaded the android version. Thanks for taking the time to work on this.

Looks like in the bottle dilute calculator that it gives the amounts for 1 liter, regardless of what you put in desired volume.
monstersX
Novice

Post by monstersX »

Oh, that's wild!

fixing.
Metalking00 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:14 am Just downloaded the android version. Thanks for taking the time to work on this.

Looks like in the bottle dilute calculator that it gives the amounts for 1 liter, regardless of what you put in desired volume.
monstersX
Novice

Post by monstersX »

ok, 1.4.2. with the bug fix is submitted to both stores.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Continue like this, a nice evolution. I don't know if you are still interested in my request but I can attach an article (in my Italian language) that you might feel interesting if you decide the "liqueurs" section, the calculations are similar to my post (but do not take into account the water contraction factor + Alcohol), the same site at the bottom of the page contains a calculator, is a great approximation that I often use.
monstersX
Novice

Post by monstersX »

Absolutely,

I'm working on the 'batch diary' function right now, which will probably take a few weeks of puttering, but who knows maybe I'll change gears and drop this in.

Bill.
Demy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:56 am Continue like this, a nice evolution. I don't know if you are still interested in my request but I can attach an article (in my Italian language) that you might feel interesting if you decide the "liqueurs" section, the calculations are similar to my post (but do not take into account the water contraction factor + Alcohol), the same site at the bottom of the page contains a calculator, is a great approximation that I often use.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Well ... you have to forgive my insistence but I haven't found any app that does those calculations (strange but true), a few apps dedicated to distillation and none to the liqueurs, except some website (the link one is a good point). I follow the evolution close up.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

monstersX wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:57 am Absolutely,

I'm working on the 'batch diary' function right now, which will probably take a few weeks of puttering, but who knows maybe I'll change gears and drop this in.

Bill.
Demy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:56 am Continue like this, a nice evolution. I don't know if you are still interested in my request but I can attach an article (in my Italian language) that you might feel interesting if you decide the "liqueurs" section, the calculations are similar to my post (but do not take into account the water contraction factor + Alcohol), the same site at the bottom of the page contains a calculator, is a great approximation that I often use.
https://www.katmarsoftware.com/liqueur-blending.htm Maybe it could help
monstersX
Novice

Post by monstersX »

Notes coming along

I started with photos

monstersX
Novice

Post by monstersX »

Good progress on notes it think. The SG will allow the app to say expected ABV at this point, etc..

Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I follow the job.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

I agree with Demy that the liqueur calc could be handy. Liking the app so far!
monstersX
Novice

Post by monstersX »

stillanoob wrote:I agree with Demy that the liqueur calc could be handy. Liking the app so far!
Thanks!
monstersX
Novice

Post by monstersX »

Added in the basic Liqueur calculator as defined above, I'm sure we'll want changes to it.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

monstersX wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:02 pm Added in the basic Liqueur calculator as defined above, I'm sure we'll want changes to it.
I replied yesterday to your pm, then I have other tips if you are available ... one step at a time and thank you for your work.
monstersX
Novice

Post by monstersX »

v 1.6.1 version just uploaded, includes the batch diary, I think it's a good start.

did my best to test against all screen sizes

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/distiller ... 1600736639

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... distillers
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

monstersX wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:20 am v 1.6.1 version just uploaded, includes the batch diary, I think it's a good start.

did my best to test against all screen sizes

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/distiller ... 1600736639

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... distillers
Thank you for your work, I'll watch the new version ... I had seen some small bugs in the previous one now the latest version comes up.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Ok, on the home page in the title missing a "L" to "distilers", my icon on the phone display is not that of the app but a white / black barrel ... maybe normal things but I'm signaling it . In the future, it would be nice to have a "mash of cereals" section and one with fruit. Thank you for your time
monstersX
Novice

Post by monstersX »

heh, another day another typo fix.
monstersX
Novice

Batch Diary

Post by monstersX »

Added in the ABV calculation to the top of the diary. I think it works pretty well.
Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 9.29.59 AM.png
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Hi, I wanted to report a malfunction in the batch section. I found 2 problems: create the title, then add description .. by tap on "update" the description disappears, if instead simply touch the screen then it's okay ... but if you have created 2 logs the same description appears on the log 1 and Log 2. The other lack is the fact that I cannot eliminate a log. (Android system)
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

On the calculator for sugar wash - you cannot use decimal amounts
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
monstersX
Novice

Post by monstersX »

Yeah description isn't actually wired up right now, it doesn't store it at all..
Demy wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:49 am Hi, I wanted to report a malfunction in the batch section. I found 2 problems: create the title, then add description .. by tap on "update" the description disappears, if instead simply touch the screen then it's okay ... but if you have created 2 logs the same description appears on the log 1 and Log 2. The other lack is the fact that I cannot eliminate a log. (Android system)
monstersX
Novice

Post by monstersX »

Oh, that's a good one. thanks.
EricTheRed wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:31 am On the calculator for sugar wash - you cannot use decimal amounts
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

I had a little play with the batch log earlier and it seems to ignore the selected date and only record todays date. (On android)
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers