Fining Agents

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

TheMechwarrior
Bootlegger

Fining Agents

Post by TheMechwarrior »

I found this a great place to start my reading:
https://winemakermag.com/26-a-clearer-u ... ing-agents

Cheers,

Mech.
Together Each Achieve More
My 2" VM build thread: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 50&t=17956
6" FSD 4 plate bubbler on a 100L boiler
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Re: Fining Agents

Post by ga flatwoods »

This is an interesting read thanks for posting it. As it is readily available and does an excellent job of clarification, I use gelatin. It is available anywhere canning and pickling items are carried along with citric acid. I use the citric acid in some recipes as called for and it is a lot cheaper at Wally world than at the wine supply.
GA Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
Jimbo
retired

Re: Fining Agents

Post by Jimbo »

Thats a great writeup, bud sadly omits Irish Moss, I guess its not commonly used in Wine, altho its the most popular fining agent for beer. Ive used Whirlfloc tabs for years in beer. Only half a tablet is really needed for 5g, 1 tablet for 10g batch.

Irish moss is a type of seaweed gathered along shores of the north Atlantic, including Ireland from whence it derived its name. It sometimes is referred to as carrageen, the name of its active ingredient. Irish Moss helps coagulate and reduce haze forming proteins. Recommended usage is 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons of beer (wort). Add 15 minutes before the end of the boil. Whirlfloc is Irish Moss prepared in a quick dissolving, highly soluble tablet form. It does the same thing as Irish Moss only that it comes in a tablet form. Usage is 1 tablet per 5 gallons.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion