A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby Jes2xu » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:38 pm

I've been looking for a creative project for a long time now (I'm a Commercial photographer and retoucher), I may have found it. Let me know what you think.

I have recently been through the process of deciding whether to get into distilling, and then researching builds etc. During this I realised there isnt a current youtube channel dedicated to distillation.

I have never distilled a drop, but I do know beer brewing pretty well. The idea is to create a channel that operates around two-way discussion with communities such as this. In a way to document the process of learning (as I learn). And archive that for other people to follow along with. People can learn things they did not know, and offer knowledge that they do.

When able and appropriate I would like to bring in experts. For mash / fermentation / distillation / recipe formation / aging of course, but also for things like tastings and flaw detection etc.
Other than that I would be extremely open to anything that the community would like to see, and be involved in.

These sorts of things only work with pretty brutal honesty and openness so I thought I would put it out there and see what you thought. Happy to answer any questions.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:31 am

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby still_stirrin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:36 am

Participation might likely be low because of the legality of distillation world wide. Talking about it (like this website) and videoing it in action, with faces and identifiable locations are two different things. The videos scattered out there currently jeopardize the producers' security as it is. A web channel would certainly draw attention to the growing hobby, perhaps just what the Feds/law enforcement would like.

But timing is everything. It could be profitable for some, if timed right.
ss
Attention new distillers: Cranky's spoon feed info
What is a Proof & Traille hydrometer: Alcohol-meter
Enzyme info: SebStar
HD Google search info: HD Google-how to
All about mashing grains: Braukaiser
User avatar
still_stirrin
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 5834
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:01 am
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby goinbroke2 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:43 am

A distilling channel would be a great benefit if;
1) Legal distillers/micro distillers were featured
2) all submissions could be vetted (remove any with redneck plastic bowl/turbo/etc type bullshit
3) moderator could remove bullshit posts "you guys are crazy, you'll go blind" and all the resulting swearing/fighting to follow

I think what you would end up with is a you tube version of home distiller. :thumbup:
The hard part would be finding and then travelling to all the micro's that were willing to participate. (let them say their distillery name or not is another question)
Bottom line is, what do you want to end up with? Do you want to operate a distilling channel? Do you want to moderate one? Are you trying to encourage someone else to do it and then live vicariously through them?

Overall I think it's a great idea... devils in the details as they say, but you certainly don't want a distilling channel that looks like what comes up when you type "distilling" or "moonshine" into the search function now! :roll:
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
User avatar
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 1968
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:55 pm
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby Jes2xu » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:23 am

still_stirrin wrote:Participation might likely be low because of the legality of distillation world wide. ss


Yep, I hear you on that one. The idea is to keep a two-way dialogue going with the community through forums such as this, I think Reddit could be good for obvious reasons too. To the point that I would direct viewers to these comunities (if the comunities in fact would like that??).

goinbroke2 wrote:A distilling channel would be a great benefit if;
1) Legal distillers/micro distillers were featured
2) all submissions could be vetted (remove any with redneck plastic bowl/turbo/etc type bullshit
3) moderator could remove bullshit posts "you guys are crazy, you'll go blind" and all the resulting swearing/fighting to follow


1) Yup that is the end goal. I would need to build up a viewership first to make it apealing to commercial distillers.
2) The channel will not be posting random videos submitted by people. I would be open to edited segments perhaps "show us your still" . As in you submit the video to me, I edit the videos togeather and upload them in one. As you say anything that is unsafe will not be used.
3) Yeah, that is a issue. In some ways I say bring it on! Part of the idea here is to use solid scientific process to really work out what's going on. But I will be able to moderate to some degree.

goinbroke2 wrote:I think what you would end up with is a you tube version of home distiller. :thumbup:
The hard part would be finding and then travelling to all the micro's that were willing to participate. (let them say their distillery name or not is another question)
Bottom line is, what do you want to end up with? Do you want to operate a distilling channel? Do you want to moderate one? Are you trying to encourage someone else to do it and then live vicariously through them?


I think the participation of commercial distillers is in some ways a reward. Its a reward to the channel itself for creating kick ass content. Its a reward to the viewers, for participating. It will take a while to build up steam. If we can get a decent number of regular viewers togeather I dont see this as a problem or a hindrance.

Its also helpful that I live in New Zealand. Distilling is legal here, so I have that advantage. If I travelled to other countries for content it would be strictly to show what is legal there. I cant see any issue with me talking about home distillation here, then going to a craft distilling in CA for example.
I will operate a distilling channel, it wont be open season for anyone to upload (to many issues there with legality etc). That said I do want this to be a open to community suggestions criticism etc.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:31 am

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby rgreen2002 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:00 pm

Jes2xu wrote:
I will operate a distilling channel, it wont be open season for anyone to upload (to many issues there with legality etc). That said I do want this to be a open to community suggestions criticism etc.


I had thought about this a while back but was in no way able to host/moderate something like this. Also for all the reasons goinbroke and SS have mentioned I was not sure how participation would go... it's why I just embed my vids here.

You tube does give the option to make the videos accessible to specific groups for viewing but I don't know about posting. Of course if you just let this forum post/view it may be defeating your purpose...? :mrgreen:

Maybe a pure video thread here instead...?
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
User avatar
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 1261
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:57 pm
Location: Northeastern USA

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby Jes2xu » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:38 pm

rgreen2002 wrote:
Jes2xu wrote:
I will operate a distilling channel, it wont be open season for anyone to upload (to many issues there with legality etc). That said I do want this to be a open to community suggestions criticism etc.


I had thought about this a while back but was in no way able to host/moderate something like this. Also for all the reasons goinbroke and SS have mentioned I was not sure how participation would go... it's why I just embed my vids here.

You tube does give the option to make the videos accessible to specific groups for viewing but I don't know about posting. Of course if you just let this forum post/view it may be defeating your purpose...? :mrgreen:

Maybe a pure video thread here instead...?



Yeah thats a good point I will consider it. The idea is really to be involved in more than one comunity.

Also submiting videos would not have anything to do with youtube. You email/dropbox/fileshare to me, I edit and cut togeather to put on the channel.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:31 am

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby NZChris » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:45 pm

There is the possibility that it could end up like the parent site here. A significant amount of the content is flawed and the authors seem to have moved on.
User avatar
NZChris
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4706
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:42 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby rager » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:40 pm

jes2xu

i think you are going to run into alot of the same problems that youll find in this thread.

def a good read, as a newbie maybe you havent come across it yet

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=58931&hilit=documentary
rager
Distiller
 
Posts: 1581
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby Jes2xu » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:50 pm

rager wrote:jes2xu

i think you are going to run into alot of the same problems that youll find in this thread.

def a good read, as a newbie maybe you havent come across it yet

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=58931&hilit=documentary



Wow thanks!!! That is going to be a big help, will read through that ASAP
Jes2xu
Swill Maker
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:31 am

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby Jes2xu » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:02 pm

Ok so I just had a skim through it.

YES YES YES

I totally agree with the reasons for doing it. That is kinda what I would like to promote, a roll model type of comunity / figure. That shows that it is not the stereotypical "hiding in the woods to make poisonous shit I can sell to get people smashed" type of hobby.

I totally get the concerns people have. And in some ways what I would like to do is accomplish the same goals, without a lot of other people having to be a figure head for it. People can stay discreet and comunicate through forums (reddit is even better for that) but have a outlet on the youtube channel.

I think having a channel that is high-end production (youtube not Hollywood haha) with solid content that promotes safe practice, responsible drinking and great product / content could help. In many ways I think the two ideas could run in tandom. What I want to create does not in anyway step on the toes of the doco, nor the doco on the channel. Yet they could promote each other very well!
Jes2xu
Swill Maker
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:31 am

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby goinbroke2 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:28 pm

You're in NZ! Well that makes it a lot simpler doesn't it!
Great idea, everybody send videos to you and unless somebody shows a licence plate or something you have complete anonymity.

Hmm, I would even send in pics or a video to that. A few years ago a micro in Germany came on here looking for pics of homemade stills for the walls of his distillery,(some might remember because it was underground like a bunker) anyway a dozen or so of us sent pics and he sent me a pic of my setup on his wall. ( of course it might of been in the omg look what they do in Canada section :lol: ) but, point being, I think many on here who would be anonymous would contribute.

Anyway, I'm liking this the more I hear.

(And if you are the gov, trolling trying to get self incriminating evidence, bring it on, Johnny law would get shit on pretty hard here for pulling a stunt like that) :wink:
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
User avatar
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 1968
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:55 pm
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby Jes2xu » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:49 pm

hahah yeah, NZ has its good points!

Ah yeah cool, To be honest 95% of the content I intend to post will be created by the channel. I see community influence/input more in line with calling me out whenever I do something stupid, offering solutions to problems etc. That way it keeps the content consistent in terms of quality, and allows users to pick their own level of anonymity. In saying that I would be totally open to doing a "show us your still" segment, and other used based stuff. Perhaps I could do those as regular (weekly / monthly) videos. "show us your still" "I f*@kd up" "q and A" etc. Im pretty open to whatever the comunity wants from that point of view.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:31 am

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby rad14701 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:00 pm

Unfortunately, I really don't think YouTube is the right tool for the job... :thumbdown:
User avatar
rad14701
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 20871
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:46 pm
Location: New York, USA

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby Jes2xu » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:12 pm

rad14701 wrote:Unfortunately, I really don't think YouTube is the right tool for the job... :thumbdown:


Do you mind elaborating on your point? I have no problem discovering im wrong. Or admitting it once I'm convinced, nor am I precious with my ideas.

But a simple "no" is unlikely to change my point of view haha :)
Jes2xu
Swill Maker
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:31 am

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby goinbroke2 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:56 pm

rad14701 wrote:Unfortunately, I really don't think YouTube is the right tool for the job... :thumbdown:

Well I ain't sending anything in worthy of red tube! :lolno:



Me stilling while neckid and a couple of barley tramps doin their thang.... :shock:


Bowchickabowwow....ohh GB, your worm is so big!
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
User avatar
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 1968
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:55 pm
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby Klein » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:17 pm

goinbroke2 wrote:
Me stilling while neckid and a couple of barley tramps doin their thang.... :shock:


Bowchickabowwow....ohh GB, your worm is so big!


Hahaha!
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:03 am
Location: Canada

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby Jes2xu » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:41 pm

goinbroke2 wrote:
rad14701 wrote:Unfortunately, I really don't think YouTube is the right tool for the job... :thumbdown:

Me stilling while neckid and a couple of barley tramps doin their thang.... :shock:
Bowchickabowwow....ohh GB, your worm is so big!


Ahhh excuse me sir, its not THAT kind of show. Hahaha, nothing wrong with a giant worm. If its copper, wait it is copper right!?

Yeah dude, I dont see this relying on people sending me video. To be honest very little of it will. Its more about people getting involved with ideas. Discussing things etc.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:31 am

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby varocketry » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:20 pm

I like the idea. I like the idea more if its a produced channel where you make episode content based on your creativity or topics suggested by viewers. I think the Modern Distillers guy was headed that way when he made a couple high quality videos - I remember the scotch one well. But that seems to have fizzled out and I haven't seen a copy of the magazine either lately.

I have a sense that there's a 'first mover' opportunity to build a presence if timed just before successful legalization in the US. But you're playing to an international audience being from Kiwi-land. I tried something like this for three years on Wireless broadband / WIFI /ISP industry a dozen years ago - just audio streaming as there was no YouTube then. Now there are a half dozen whiskey and distilling podcasts. Perhaps you ought to investigate how they're progressing or not, and what a video content channel would provide differently. I see a bunch of interesting BEER BREWING youtube channels - perhaps those are the closest indicators for you.

Keep talkin' it up ...
-Just need something else to build. -
User avatar
varocketry
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 520
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:15 pm
Location: somewhere not near Detroit

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby rad14701 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:17 pm

Jes2xu wrote:
rad14701 wrote:Unfortunately, I really don't think YouTube is the right tool for the job... :thumbdown:


Do you mind elaborating on your point? I have no problem discovering im wrong. Or admitting it once I'm convinced, nor am I precious with my ideas.

But a simple "no" is unlikely to change my point of view haha :)

Go for it if you must but YouTube really isn't structured for what you are suggesting from a management standpoint... I know someone who once tried something very similar for another hobby and it ended up a trainwreck and it is now gone... YouTube just isn't really the right tool for the job... It's just good for posting videos... Beyond that, not so much...
User avatar
rad14701
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 20871
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:46 pm
Location: New York, USA

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby Jes2xu » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:51 am

varocketry wrote: I think the Modern Distillers guy was headed that way when he made a couple high quality videos - I remember the scotch one well.


Yeah, it was his content, and then lack there of, that made me start thinking of this. Although my content would set its aims a lot lower for the tutorial stuff originally.

varocketry wrote:Now there are a half dozen whiskey and distilling podcasts. Perhaps you ought to investigate how they're progressing or not, and what a video content channel would provide differently. I see a bunch of interesting BEER BREWING youtube channels - perhaps those are the closest indicators for you.


Good idea re the distilling podcasts! And The Brewing Network is a huge inspiration for this. Thanks for the solid advice.

varocketry wrote:Go for it if you must but YouTube really isn't structured for what you are suggesting from a management standpoint... I know someone who once tried something very similar for another hobby and it ended up a trainwreck and it is now gone... YouTube just isn't really the right tool for the job... It's just good for posting videos... Beyond that, not so much...


Fair enough, opinion noted. I guess I haven't really articulated the idea too well though. Because none of it really hinges on youtube being anything more than a good place to post videos. Thanks for the feed back but :)
Jes2xu
Swill Maker
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:31 am

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby Swedish Pride » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:23 am

rad14701 wrote:
Jes2xu wrote:
rad14701 wrote:Unfortunately, I really don't think YouTube is the right tool for the job... :thumbdown:


Do you mind elaborating on your point? I have no problem discovering im wrong. Or admitting it once I'm convinced, nor am I precious with my ideas.

But a simple "no" is unlikely to change my point of view haha :)

Go for it if you must but YouTube really isn't structured for what you are suggesting from a management standpoint... I know someone who once tried something very similar for another hobby and it ended up a trainwreck and it is now gone... YouTube just isn't really the right tool for the job... It's just good for posting videos... Beyond that, not so much...



But you could have a Video section here, with a subsection for different areas( building, mashign, runnign still... etc) and have topics in the subsection where you have embedded youtube videos.
could be useful if done well, but would prob have a few teething issues, much like anything new really.
Don't be a dick
User avatar
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 2049
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:16 am
Location: Emerald Isle

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby rgreen2002 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:44 am

rgreen2002 wrote:Maybe a pure video thread here instead...?



Exactly SP.... :mrgreen:
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
User avatar
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 1261
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:57 pm
Location: Northeastern USA

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby Swedish Pride » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:02 am

totally scimmed passed that
Don't be a dick
User avatar
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 2049
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:16 am
Location: Emerald Isle

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby Jes2xu » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:31 am

You know what, I think you guys may be onto something there. Sorry I didn't agree sooner.

The beauty of youtube is that We can do both. I can put them on youtube and embed here. If users here decided that is the best way to interact with the channel im all for it. I assume it would help keep things clean on the forum side of things too? Turning into a confined area to discus/debate/etc anything related to the channel (rather than random posts popping up all over).

How would you envision organising embedded content here? (im new here, and dont want to mess with the way you do things)

How do you all feel about the channel advertising the forum? Would you like more exposure? Or do you want to keep things on the DL? Would you like something along the lines of "continue the discussion over at HD link below". Would you like shoutouts to specific user names that offered good info?
Jes2xu
Swill Maker
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:31 am

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby rgreen2002 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:46 am

Swedish Pride wrote:totally scimmed passed that


:lol:

I agree with you though SP... a new heading... maybe right under "Steam Mashing and Distilling" . I think no matter what Jes2xu does we could still make that happen. It's just that validating the videos would take time/energy/interest/etc... Where is a fancy Hollywood film intern when you need them.

Jes2xu - I do think your idea is interesting and if the safety side of it were played up could really be helpful here in the states as the HDA tries to legalize Home Distilling. Maybe look at the numbers of acute alcohol toxicity (related to adulterated ethanol and not just consumption) in NZ before and following the lifting of home distilling ban. I just did a quick search but could not find specific numbers. This of course is just an idea.... :mrgreen:

I think that if HD becomes legal in the USA websites and videos will start popping up everywhere, maybe a few free but many will be at some price and who knows about the content validity. I will continue to follow your progress though and hope you succeed!
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
User avatar
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 1261
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:57 pm
Location: Northeastern USA

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby Jes2xu » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:56 am

rgreen2002 wrote:
Swedish Pride wrote:totally scimmed passed that


Jes2xu - I do think your idea is interesting and if the safety side of it were played up could really be helpful here in the states as the HDA tries to legalize Home Distilling. Maybe look at the numbers of acute alcohol toxicity (related to adulterated ethanol and not just consumption) in NZ before and following the lifting of home distilling ban. I just did a quick search but could not find specific numbers. This of course is just an idea.... :mrgreen: [/quote

THIS, this is what I am talking about when I say "I want the channel to be community based". Ideas just like this!

This is an amazing idea! I have been looking at ways to create videos that are not just straight up tutorials. That is genius! I also want content that I can create that does not rely on equipment, this is great for that. It also ties into my critical thinking/skeptical thinking ideals in that it is numbers and fact based.
Finding ways to constantly raise the public perception of the hobby is also high on the agenda for me, Quality and craft not cheap easy piss up.

In fact I am toying with the idea of the tag line for the channel being "the quest for craft". The idea being to show:
- I don't "know it" its about the learning not about telling people how to do it
- It's all about great product and making something better than you can buy
- That its not me VS the world, its about community and pooling knowledge to get it done.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:31 am

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby Jes2xu » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:03 pm

rgreen2002 wrote:
Swedish Pride wrote:totally scimmed passed that

I agree with you though SP... a new heading... maybe right under "Steam Mashing and Distilling" . I think no matter what Jes2xu does we could still make that happen. It's just that validating the videos would take time/energy/interest/etc... Where is a fancy Hollywood film intern when you need them.!


I would hope that over time I can prove that I can create good content. That in some way would make that process easier for you (although I have a total respect for your needs to vet info/quality).

This could be another way that a collaboration could work well. I would be more than happy to host quality submitted video on my channel and do the editing/optimisation/SEO/etc. I would however have very strict policies in place in terms of what I would accept and upload.

Over time the moderators etc here at HD could come to expect a certain level of video quality / safety / style in any content on my channel. Which would move some of the burden of vetting submitted content over to me.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:31 am

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby rgreen2002 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:29 pm

Jes2xu wrote:
rgreen2002 wrote:
Swedish Pride wrote:totally scimmed passed that

I agree with you though SP... a new heading... maybe right under "Steam Mashing and Distilling" . I think no matter what Jes2xu does we could still make that happen. It's just that validating the videos would take time/energy/interest/etc... Where is a fancy Hollywood film intern when you need them.!


I would hope that over time I can prove that I can create good content. That in some way would make that process easier for you (although I have a total respect for your needs to vet info/quality).

This could be another way that a collaboration could work well. I would be more than happy to host quality submitted video on my channel and do the editing/optimisation/SEO/etc. I would however have very strict policies in place in terms of what I would accept and upload.

Over time the moderators etc here at HD could come to expect a certain level of video quality / safety / style in any content on my channel. Which would move some of the burden of vetting submitted content over to me.



Jes2xu... no disrespect meant.... just making a little joke about the intern! :mrgreen:

The only issue is that vetting the material would need to be someone with a wealth of experience of the material... and its A LOT of material (have ya seen how damn big this place is?). I've been doing this for about 4 years and IN NO WAY would I consider the job. The mods here are quite overworked as it is I believe, but I guess there is no harm asking folks.

That said... I do like where your head is at with regards to the content!!
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
User avatar
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 1261
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:57 pm
Location: Northeastern USA

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby Jes2xu » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:04 pm

Yeah I hear you on that dude!

I guess we wil just see where we go. I will make content, and if it is decided that you would like to have that here embeded then im cool with it :)

Also,
I just had a talk to a few people. Looks like there could be the possibility to get samples tested here by the likes of mass specto, HPLC etc. So basically insanely kick ass scientific gear that can tell you exactly what is in a sample. To me that would be facinating to test things like Heads vs hearts vs tails (as mentioned earlier) or perhaps temp controled ferment vs free ferment. It may go a way to giving actual answers to some of the debates. Would people be interested in that? . . . . it may need to be done on a donation basis though. Every time the fund hits a certain level we can do it type thing.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:31 am

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Postby rgreen2002 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:32 pm

Jes2xu wrote:Yeah I hear you on that dude!

I guess we wil just see where we go. I will make content, and if it is decided that you would like to have that here embeded then im cool with it :)

Also,
I just had a talk to a few people. Looks like there could be the possibility to get samples tested here by the likes of mass specto, HPLC etc. So basically insanely kick ass scientific gear that can tell you exactly what is in a sample. To me that would be facinating to test things like Heads vs hearts vs tails (as mentioned earlier) or perhaps temp controled ferment vs free ferment. It may go a way to giving actual answers to some of the debates. Would people be interested in that? . . . . it may need to be done on a donation basis though. Every time the fund hits a certain level we can do it type thing.



I have always wanted to get my stuff tested. I thought about taking it to work once but that would have been an odd moment....

Pcorn.jpg
Watching intently!
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
User avatar
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 1261
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:57 pm
Location: Northeastern USA

Next

Return to Resources and Reviews



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest