Learning spirit flavors by dilution (via Boston Apothecary)

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Learning spirit flavors by dilution (via Boston Apothecary)

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Yes, another post from Boston Apothecary, but this one provides some practical advice. By diluting your product (or someone else's) you can start to understand the flavors in spirits. Esters can show through at a couple parts per million. You can also use flavor wheels and the Beer Fault Guide to find other flavors: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69015

https://www.bostonapothecary.com/for-th ... schwasser/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
We carried out the suitability test by using 0.1 cc of original rum. -arrak, etc. diluted to 50 cc with tap water of room temperature, again brought 0.25, 0.5, 1.0, 2.0 and 2.5 cc of this dilution with water to 50 cc, so that the original product was now diluted 1: 10000 to 1: 100000. The taste test was – as already said – done in such a way that you went with the strongest thinning up to the “taste threshold”, in which the rum, Arrak, etc. was clearly expressed in the smell and taste.

It should not be forgotten here that one advantage of this simple procedure is that it can be applied to small free samples given to the buyer when making offers, and even leaves enough material for a direct tasting. – For the products of Rum production the exhaustive test is particularly suitable because the pronounced aroma of this noble brandy is still very clearly perceived even at higher dilution. In addition one sets also in Germany straight on the exhaustive quality etc. Cuttability is the greatest value, and qualities such as e.g. the “Consumption-Rhums”, which are particularly popular in England, are barely commercially available. While in the wine distillates a dilution of 1: 400 usually already represents the highest yield limit, with rum ratios of 1: 50,000, even 1: 100,000 are not uncommon.
I'll build out more useful chart than what's in the article. The level they use (.1cc) is overly difficult to accurately measure.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Learning spirit flavors by dilution (via Boston Apotheca

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Cool! Sounds like this could be useful for cuts.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

syringe.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

What this table represents: If you take a 5ml sample (~1 teaspoon) in a beaker and fill it up to 100ml (~1/2 cup), you'll get the first row. Now take 5ml of that and put it in another beaker you'll get row two, and so on. I think for best effect cover the beaker (airtight) for 24 hours to let it "marry" before you dilute it further.

Row 1: It should be a weak version of your spirit, it may give you aromas and flavors you haven't noticed before.
Row 2: Esters and other strong aromatics but at a weak level. You should barely taste the major flavor contributors to your spirit.
Row 3: Esters and other very strong aromatics. You may not be able to taste anything.
Row 4: You'll be down to a level that you probably won't be able to discern anything.

For PPM I used this formula: C(ppm) = 1000000 × msolute / (msolution + msolute)
[tr][th]Sample ml |[/th] [th]Absolute Spirit Volume ml |[/th] [th]Water ml |[/th] [th]PPM of the sample[/th][/tr] [tr][td]5[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]100[/td] [td]47619[/td][/tr] [tr][td]5[/td] [td].25[/td] [td]100[/td] [td]2493[/td][/tr] [tr][td]5[/td] [td].0125[/td] [td]100[/td] [td]124[/td][/tr] [tr][td]5[/td] [td].000625[/td] [td]100[/td] [td]6[/td][/tr]
If someone out there can double check my math I would appreciate it, I'm not sure that the numbers are correct.
Last edited by Single Malt Yinzer on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Thank you very much. I’ve been looking for a Process folks use for isolating smells/flavors, and this is the first documented version I have come upon. I’m definitely going to try this method and see if I can make this work with my nose.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Thanks. I eventually want to make a chart that gives more detailed levels. I've seen other people suggest diluting cuts to expand the flavor more, but nothing with solid numbers. Maybe a project for us to build out a tasting chart of dilutions and flavors that are picked up. Something like here: http://miezeundtoast.blogspot.com/2013/ ... plate.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow