Wüstenfeld’s Exhaustive Test for Spirit Quality

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Wüstenfeld’s Exhaustive Test for Spirit Quality

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

As we endeavor to make better spirits I believe that this test will help us understand how quantify organoleptic (smell/taste) quality.The TD;LR is that by can tell the strength of the taste/smell of a spirit by how far down you dilute it and still taste/smell it. It it also allows you to compare to spirits objectively (i.e. Spirit A 1:50, Spirit B 1:150). I had previously posted on this. You can ignore that post as this is his final work. One thing to note is that this measurement system will vary wildly from person to person. Everyone's ability to perceive aromas/tastes vary in strength and also some people are "Blind" to certain aromas/tastes.

----
The next major test is Wüstenfeld’s exhaustive test which we are going to focus on today. Spirits are tested for how far they can be stretched. This was important to the Germans who bought rum concentrates designed to be stretched with cheap fairly neutral domestic spirits. Market price for these rums was tied to their stretchability. This becomes relevant to our fine era because persistence is tied to the rarest most noble congeners and is worth money (the difference between a cru and a grand cru is nuance and intensity). To perform the test, spirits are systematically diluted with water until they can no longer be detected in the solution. There are some extra details here and there.
https://www.bostonapothecary.com/wusten ... tive-test/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

-----

How can you use this practically? A straight up drinking spirit doesn't need to be as strong as a spirit made for mixing. A spirit that is 1:50 might be good for drinking but won't be very strong in a mixed drink. A spirit of 1:200 might be to strong for straight up but wonderful in a drink. Another way to look at is that a neutral should be a very low in rating like 1:20, something like a strong gin could be 1:200 or higher. Whiskey/rum/brandy will be somewhere in between. I'm using hypothetical numbers but idea is there.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Wüstenfeld’s Exhaustive Test for Spirit Quality

Post by Bushman »

Interesting theory but many of us have done it the other way for so long hard to think in those terms. I I were to bottle a drink friends mix at a higher abv (say 110 proof rather than 80) I would get them shit faced a lot earlier.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Re: Wüstenfeld’s Exhaustive Test for Spirit Quality

Post by OtisT »

Thanks SMY. I will definite l check this out when I get some free time. I’ve been looking for something detailed on other methods folks use as I continue to fumble along and refine my own process. Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels